House Firebombed, Fired Upon

This is a discussion on House Firebombed, Fired Upon within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Family terrorized when house is firebombed Sunday, Feb. 10, 2008 at 1:34 p.m. Family terrorized when house is firebombed STAFF REPORT A family was terrorized ...

Family terrorized when house is firebombed

Sunday, Feb. 10, 2008 at 1:34 p.m.

Family terrorized when house is firebombed

STAFF REPORT

A family was terrorized before dawn on Sunday when someone firebombed their house and then shot at them as they tried to escape.

The house, occupied with two women and small children, was on fire when the family went running out the front door, only to be met with gunfire. One woman was shot several times before the entire family ran back inside the burning home.

The family was hiding under furniture and choking on smoke before they tried to escape again. The second time they were able to get out.

Nanise Raymond was shot at least twice in the leg and taken to Bayfront Medical Center, according to Manatee County Sheriff's reports.

Another woman, who is pregnant, was treated for smoke inhalation.

The sheriff's office is searching for the suspects.

NOT a good situation. House firebombed. Shot at while trying to escape the fire. Something is rotten in Denmark.

What would you do in this situation?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    There's something missing here. I'd have to say this isn't normal arsonist, burglar or vandal behavior. For some reason this person was trying to kill at least one person in this family.

What would I do? I'd have to think a bit on that one.

Without time to get a plan together, here's something quick. If I could make it to the other side of the house, maybe try an alternate exit. Your options are severely limited. With the fire, smoke and general pandemonium, you'd probably never be able to identify the threat's location, meanwhile against a backdrop of fire you'd stand out like a sore thumb. Coming out with guns blazing just isn't a feasible option. If you can't make it out a different exit, I'd probably have to hunker down in a place that's not immediately in flames like this family did. But if this person was determined and was able to stick around a little longer he could have waited long enough for their second exit. This is a BAD situation to find yourself in.

VIP Member
    Back windows, anyone? Barring that, family armors up (I have spares...), and I'm prone behind the door jamb with the AR looking for targets, and engaging with copious covering fire while the rest of the family E&E's the scold zone.

I agree, though, this is a very strange story.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    There's something missing here. I'd have to say this isn't normal arsonist, burglar or vandal behavior. For some reason this person was trying to kill at least one person in this family.
    100% agree with that!

They were lucky to be able to retreat. That would be very hard to respond to.....even if you could keep your wits about you, and find your guns, you can't just come out blindly shooting. Quickest alternate exit, but with small children, really a tough thing under that kind of stress.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Could it be that someone in the family either:
    was dealing drugs for someone and stiffed 'em
    is a gang banger that "dissed" another gang
    might have "snitched" on a local BG

regardless...go out the back if at all possible. If there's no rear to access by, once the shooting starts...go back in. I know it doesn't sound right, but you can take temporary concealment and choose your shots to take out the bgs, then get the family out.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

In my state it would be legal to shoot somebody who is attempting arson.

Of course, I don't know the motive for the attack. "Sounds Hinky," has the tv cops say.

Links