Student shoots classmate in Memphis school cafeteria:MERGED

This is a discussion on Student shoots classmate in Memphis school cafeteria:MERGED within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It is Monday, Feb 11th and I am watching Fox with my morning coffee. A Fox news alert comes over and reports that another High ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Student shoots classmate in Memphis school cafeteria:MERGED

It is Monday, Feb 11th and I am watching Fox with my morning coffee. A Fox news alert comes over and reports that another High School shooting has takin place in Memphis,TN. With all the recent tragedies ( Chicago mall etc....... ) I have to wonder how long it will take the Clinton's and the Obama's of the world to take away my right to own a handgun. Our society is in serious decline and it scares the living crap out of me. I have a 19 year old daughter ( who I have taught how to shoot but can't CCW until 21 ) and a 16 year old son who is my range buddy. I understand that we live in a free society and we have certain risks associated with our God givin liberties. But the actions of a select few in our country have put this nation on a course for destruction. Thanks for listening, I just needed to vent a little. I would love to hear others opinions
    Last edited by bh153dc; February 11th, 2008 at 12:53 PM.
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Student shoots classmate in Memphis school cafeteria

AFP: Student shoots classmate in Memphis school cafeteria: official

MEMPHIS, Tennessee (AFP) — A student was shot by a classmate in the cafeteria of a Memphis, Tennessee high school in the latest of a slew of high-profile shootings across the country, officials said Monday.

"A student was shot by a classmate in the cafeteria during a physical education class that was being held in that area," said Rita Cooper, spokeswoman for Memphis City Schools.

"The suspect, who is also a student at Mitchell High, is in police custody," she added.

Police spokeswoman Monique Martin told CNN that the student was shot at least twice and was in critical condition.

"We don't have a motive at this time," she said.

Cooper did not comment on the student's condition but said he had been taken to hospital and "our thoughts and prayers remain with this student and his family."
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Right there with ya Brother! It scares the crap out of me too!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    My goodness, a 'slew' of shootings is right! You have to wonder what is going on. How many recent 'high profile' shootings does this make?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I believe it just a matter of time before someone goes "Columbine"...look for metal detectors for starters. And strengthened laws crimalizing the owners of the gun, and assualt weapons ban (although this was not the case...the leap to it is not far for justification). Just for starters...

Rick

I'm afraid this sort of thing is just never going to stop. There just isn't any personal responsibility taught anymore - at home or school.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I believe it just a matter of time before someone goes "Columbine"...look for metal detectors for starters. And strengthened laws crimalizing the owners of the gun, and assualt weapons ban (although this was not the case...the leap to it is not far for justification). Just for starters...

Rick
    The idiot principle said the use of a metal detector probably would not have detected the handgun due to it being "plastic".

Also the news reporter pointed out the sign at the entrance of the school parking lot saying "No dangerous weapons allowed."

Reporters and the sheeple are just plain ignorant when it comes to gun crime.

BTW, a reporter for the local newspaper, Wendy Thomas (hated by most) called for very strict gun laws in this country to stop the violence in Memphis. This was an article in Sunday's Commercial Appeal. She states that guns are just to easy to obtain and until it is changed, the violence will continue. Another call for gun control from an anti!

Dang it's nice to come to this forum to bring some sanity back into the mix.
    Last edited by Cap'n; February 11th, 2008 at 04:23 PM. Reason: sp
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

[sarcasm on] Those darn, plastic, combat tupperware Glock XDs go right through the metal detectors without a single beep every time. [sarcasm off]

Where do they get this stuff? Were they born that stupid or did they have to take lessons?

Kids, girls, that have babies at age 11, 12, 13 or 14 do not have the value base nor the discipline to raise children. Yet the current generation at age 14 have parents that are twice as old as them and grandparents that are 3 times as old as they are and they are producing yet another generation of babies ...And we have the audacity to wonder why kids are shooting kids!

I need to take another blood pressure pill.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Quote Originally Posted by citizen510 View Post
    I need to take another blood pressure pill.
    I did the same thing earlier!
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

"Also the news reporter pointed out the sign at the entrance of the school parking lot saying "No dangerous weapons allowed.""

Yep, those signs always keep the bad guys with guns out. The kid must not have seen the sign: Surely he would have obeyed.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    "Also the news reporter pointed out the sign at the entrance of the school parking lot saying "No dangerous weapons allowed.""

Yep, those signs always keep the bad guys with guns out. The kid must not have seen the sign: Surely he would have obeyed.
    They have to be able to READ the sign, studies show that a good percentage of highschoolers can't read!
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

VIP Member

Yes I agree completely. I've found through exstensive study that murderes and thieves commit crimes away from posted signs. Those darned signs are just so intimidating to the criminal mind. Why can't we have more of them in America? That would solve all our problems!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

The kid probably couldn't read the sign...it's in english
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    On the positive side,maybe the government will allow teachers to carry!May be wishful thinking and there could be a lot of problems with making sure they are trained.But,you never know.It is interesting that a lot of these shootings occur where the BG knows guns are not allowed.Many times this has been mentioned on this forum.Perhaps these killers that attack in schools,churches,etc.,are not really so mentally ill.Perhaps they are more gutless wonders who are mad at the world and want an easy target.My son is an adult, but I can see why so many send their children to private schools.At least some private institutions have real guards.

This is the second school shooting in seven days. Seems to be common place in Memphis City Schools, not a good thing just another day in the classrooms of MCS.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links