Update to "I'm not the murderer..."

This is a discussion on Update to "I'm not the murderer..." within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Please don't let this thread get closed over the marijuana debate! A complicated path led to a killing on his doorstep | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com ...

Thread: Update to "I'm not the murderer..."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Update to "I'm not the murderer..."

Please don't let this thread get closed over the marijuana debate!

A complicated path led to a killing on his doorstep | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

A complicated path led to a killing on his doorstep

CHESAPEAKE

One of the biggest photos on the MySpace page created to support Ryan Frederick is not of him.

It's a large print of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Frederick, the site says, likes to watch "the Christian Channel," read "Christian Books" and wants to meet megachurch preacher Joel Osteen.

But Sheryl Morales, a woman who babysat Frederick and remains one of his closest relatives, described the 28-year-old as "precious and sweet" but "not real religious."

"I think that has to do with all the loss we've had in the family," she said.

What's clear is that Frederick has been charged with murdering a Chesapeake police officer.

On the night of Jan. 17, a police team converged on his home on Redstart Avenue after an informant told them Frederick was growing marijuana. Frederick, now charged with first-degree murder, insisted from jail last month that he thought he was shooting at a burglar.

Detective Jarrod Shivers was shot at Frederick's front door and died at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital. The 34-year-old was a decorated narcotics officer and a father of three.

Officers are still in shock three weeks later, said Jack Bider, president of the Chesapeake Fraternal Order of Police and a friend of Shivers.

"Here we have a citizen, not only a citizen of Chesapeake, but a police officer trying to make a living, and this guy shoots through a door," Bider said. "Let's remove the police factor out of it. What if it was a Girl Scout knocking at his door on this cold and rainy night and she slips on his porch and falls onto the door? Is he going to shoot through the door then?"

While the officer's family and police mourn Shivers' death, debates swirl about police searches, confidential informants and the right to protect one's home.

Like the conflicting portrayals of his spiritual life, unearthing an accurate picture of Ryan David Frederick's past - and the circumstances leading to the death of a policeman on his doorstep - is complicated.

Perhaps the first thing people notice about Frederick is his size. A ticket he received in December for running a red light in Suffolk listed him at 5 feet 7 inches tall and 120 pounds.

"He was always the smallest guy in the class," Morales said.

As a child and into adulthood, Frederick suffered from intestinal problems that made him vomit and bleed. Doctors put him on liquid diets and ran tests but never diagnosed the cause, according to his sister and only sibling, Amanda Frederick Arakelyan, 25. Still, Frederick enjoyed an active childhood in his working-class South Norfolk neighborhood, Morales said. He played baseball, took tae kwon do classes and played video games with his best friend.

His father, Dale Frederick, was a carpenter and was not small like his son, the aunt said. A chronic illness, one Morales did not disclose, cut Dale Frederick's life short. He didn't want to die in a hospital, so he spent the last two years of his life at home, Morales said. He died in 1992, in the one-story home in the 900 block of Redstart Ave.

Frederick's mother, Karen, once worked two jobs to support the family, managing a Long John Silver's and tending bar, Morales said.

Ryan Frederick seemed to share his mother's work ethic. When he was 12, he rode with his grandfather delivering newspapers. In high school he worked at the Virginia Beach Resort Hotel and Conference Center, where he helped set up and work banquets.

Jeff Tibbitt, a former co-worker at the hotel, recalled Frederick as "a real kinda guy," somebody who seemed genuinely interested in others and didn't talk about himself much.

"He got along with everybody," Tibbitt said. "He was one of my favorite people to work with because he was fun to talk to."

His personality, looks and smile made him popular with girls, Tibbitt said.

The 1995 yearbook at Oscar Smith High School lists Frederick as a sophomore, but he graduated in 1998, school records show.

Outside the classroom, he worked his way up at the hotel to banquet setup manager, a position in which he coordinated rooms for events and made sure they had the necessary materials, Tibbitt said. His mother, sister and aunt sometimes worked there.

Tibbitt said he knew Frederick sometimes smoked marijuana.

"Several people dabbled in that kind of stuff," Tibbitt said. "He didn't seem like a stoner when I was working with him.... He got there on time. It didn't seem to affect his performance."

Frederick told The Virginian-Pilot he didn't sell or grow marijuana, but that he had a small bag of it. Twelve days after his arrest on charges of murder and use of a firearm in a crime, Frederick was charged with first-offense possession of marijuana, a misdemeanor, based on what police found at the home.

Tibbitt, who last worked with Frederick around 2005, said he never knew him to sell the drug.

In March 2003, Frederick's mother died from an overdose of medication that a doctor had prescribed to her for back problems. The loss devastated Frederick, who discovered his mother's body in her bed, Morales said.

The doctor, Sidney Loxley, was later convicted in federal court of conspiracy to illegally dispense narcotics and was sentenced to seven years and three months in prison. Frederick and his sister sued. The case was terminated early last year, but the court record does not give a reason.

With his mother gone, Frederick stayed in the family home and held close to his grandmother, Norma Young, who lived about a mile away. He'd stop by after work and take out her trash, Morales said. Young hated football, but she knew her grandson loved the Washington Redskins, so she'd watch games to have something to talk to him about, Morales said.

Neighbors along Redstart Avenue called Frederick friendly, quiet and polite. He sometimes had a few friends over around the pool in his backyard, but little traffic moved in and out of the house, said Laurie and Jon McReynolds, who live two doors away.

"He was a very passive, timid guy," Laurie McReynolds said.

Jon McReynolds said that by the time he left for work at 4:30 a.m., Frederick was usually gone to his new job as a merchandiser setting up store displays for a soft drink company. A search of criminal records in Hampton Roads turns up only traffic violations for Frederick. The most serious is a misdemeanor reckless driving charge in 2004 for going 79 mph in a 55 mph zone.

In his spare time, Frederick worked on his garden, a hobby he learned from his late grandfather, Morales said. He dug a new pond for fish this past year, grew banana trees and was learning to grow Japanese maples.

Frederick spoke to The Virginian-Pilot and a local TV station within a week of the shooting, but his attorney, James Broccoletti, cut off media interviews with his client and told those close to him not to talk to reporters.

Frederick's fiancee, his best friend and his sister - all among the members of the MySpace page created to support him - did not respond to interview requests.

His sister, Amanda Frederick Arakelyan, provided some insight into the past few years of her brother's life, however, through documents she posted online to support her attempt to get her husband, a native of Armenia, into the United States.

In January 2006, Frederick's grandmother died, and his sister had just moved to Armenia to be with her husband. It was a difficult time for Frederick, according to Arakelyan's application, which describes her brother's troubles as one of the main reasons she, along with her husband, needed to return to the United States. The document said Frederick was diagnosed with depression.

"Since (Frederick's) sister has left he is finding it increasingly difficult to pay all of his bills and needs his sister present to help him," the application said.

The MySpace page created for Frederick by his friends says he "tends to be startled easily." He told The Virginian-Pilot someone had broken into his garage three days before the police raid, and he feared for his life when he awoke and heard his dogs barking at his door the night of Jan. 17.

"They're going like really crazy, so I grab my gun," he said. "As I'm walking through the hall, someone comes busting through my door."

A police spokeswoman said the officers wore badges and helmets marked "POLICE" and announced their presence at the door. Frederick said he didn't hear anyone say "police" or see identification.

Before his arrest, Frederick was determined to keep the family house on Redstart Avenue, Morales said. He got engaged and wanted to raise his own family there, she said.

Now a large white sign stands outside his yellow home trimmed in brown. It says "We support you Ryan Frederick," and it's collecting signatures.

But Bider, of the Fraternal Order of Police, still thinks about Shivers.

"It's going to live with us for the rest of our lives," he said. "You can't shoot through a door."

Staff writer John Hopkins contributed to this story.

Dave Forster, (757) 222-5122 dave.forster@pilotonline.com
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Girl scouts selling cookies don't knock on doors at the wee hours of the morning nor do they bash down and crash through folks front doors.
    The statement by Jack Biders of the FoP is stupid.

As to Ryan Frederick, I believe he was genuinely in fear of his life.
    Also he caused his own problems by having a weed growing operation in his home which is unlawful and thus the catalyst toward his problems.

He's in big trouble.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

+1 to what Jang said. Sad outcome for all.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member
    I thought all they found was a small bag. Does any body know more about this?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Ok, I'm confused. The the officers bust through the door as the homeowner says? Or did he shoot through the door like the police say? Huge difference.

Also, as far as I've read, he was only found to have a small bag of marijuana and smoking paraphenelia. From what I've read, the growing equipment was used for exotic plants for his landscaping business, not for growing pot. I'm assuming if he was cultivating any amount of marijuana, those charges would have been added to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Ok, I'm confused. The the officers bust through the door as the homeowner says? Or did he shoot through the door like the police say? Huge difference.

Also, as far as I've read, he was only found to have a small bag of marijuana and smoking paraphenelia. From what I've read, the growing equipment was used for exotic plants for his landscaping business, not for growing pot. I'm assuming if he was cultivating any amount of marijuana, those charges would have been added to the list.
    +1

This is my understanding of the circumstances.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    So who is not telling the truth? I usually side with LEOs, but with the girlscout crap they are spewing it sounds like this kid might be telling the truth. If it happened the way he says it did I would have reacted the same way. Who knows?
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Links