On the border

On the border

This is a discussion on On the border within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If you live near the Mexico border, stay safe and watch out after your family. SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Mexico > Tijuana & The Border ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On the border

On the border

If you live near the Mexico border, stay safe and watch out after your family.

SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Mexico > Tijuana & The Border -- Kidnappings of U.S. citizens on rise

It's gotten real lawless all along the border - another reason for a wall and more well-armed border defenders.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    That's no good. I'll stay where I can keep my gun and defend myself, thanks.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Senior Moderator
    The Mexican Border is not a place I would ever go to.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Third world countries are not on my itinerary.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member
    I was stationed in San Diego, and before I turned 21 spent allot of time there. Everybody knows that TJ is a dangerous place, but if you use the group system you shouldn't have problems. Rosarito and Encenatas (sp?) are a two plus hour drive down a lonely country road with nothing around for miles. This is a VERY dangerous path to travel, and even before this kidnapping thing it was very dangerous. I wouldn't go near there now if you paid me!!!!!
    Last edited by atctimmy; February 12th, 2008 at 09:26 PM. Reason: typo
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Fortunately, I don't have enough assets to interest them.

Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    Fortunately, I don't have enough assets to interest them.
    That wonít do you any good.

To a Mexican BG all Americanís are rich, and they will mail peaces of your body back to your family until they pays upÖ Or they run out of parts.

All this kidnapping stuff is a shame, and I am sure itís hurting Mexicoís tourism. We where thinking of going to Cancun in November 08, but NOT anymore. While we would most likely be safe, Iím not going to chance it.

I spent a week down in Nogales (AZ and Mexico) back in '99. I was never in Mexico without at least 10 of us in a group. I had a great time but stayed somewhere between red and yellow at all times. Back then we were warned of kidnappings, invasions, and other 'border crimes'. Now it's infintly worse and wont go to there period.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    My degree program regularly reminds its students to keep their distance from Mexico for this reason. Its nothing new. Troubling, yes. But its been going on for some time. Its just that nobody seems willing to do anything about it or bring it up because... Okay nevermind. I'll just end it there before I go someplace I shouldn't.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Corporate Intelligence groups have been monitoring Mexico for awhile now. Many times you have to pay thousands of dollars to get a report.

Here is one report that's a couple years old now and available for free. This is not a new issue, it's just an issue coming to the media's attention now:

Clayton Consultants

Be safe, trust no one in Mexico, especially not the police or military.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Us Texans had a solution for renegades coming out of Mexico;

We called out the Texas Rangers.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

I actually live in south tx 20 miles north of the border.
    they actually have home invasions and kidnappings around here too,
    i carry 24-7 answering the door or checking mail.
    I saw a story on the news 2 girls went to mexico to party,and never came back after dad contacted police with vehicle descriptin etc.
    police couldn't help, dad went to mexico and found their car in a salvage yard with the license plates still on it but no sign of girls.

If they'd just stay on the border, we could avoid the problem. We have entire neighborhoods in Phoenix that look just like Mexico.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Unfortunately, whenever there is a disparity in wealth you have these kinds of issues. While I was in Germany we had to look out for Russians and Turks. It was the same thing. Germany is much better off than their home country's, and they can't or won't all get jobs, so they become criminals. Everything from petty theft to organized crime.

And while I fully agree that something must be done, I'm not sure a fence is the answer. I imagine it stopping/slowing down the less ambitious folks, but I don't see it really impacting the drug and gun runners. Tunnels will be dug, and holes will be created. But what are our other options?
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links