Don't Mess With Older Gentleman With Military Haircuts

This is a discussion on Don't Mess With Older Gentleman With Military Haircuts within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Former Marine's Actions Called Into Question - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami PLANTATION, Fla. -- The family of one of the men who was ...

Thread: Don't Mess With Older Gentleman With Military Haircuts

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Former Marine's Actions Called Into Question - Miami News Story - WPLG Miami

PLANTATION, Fla. -- The family of one of the men who was shot by a retired United States Marine while they attempted to rob a Subway sandwich shop said the customer shouldn't have pulled the trigger.

According to Plantation police, two armed men barged into the Subway at 1949 Pine Island Road shortly after 11 p.m. Wednesday, demanding money from the employee behind the counter. When they tried to force John Lovell into the bathroom, he pulled out a gun and shot both men, police said.

Donicio Arrindell, 22, was shot in the head and later died at the hospital. Fredrick Gadson, 21, was shot in the chest and ran from the Subway, but police found him in hiding in some bushes on the property of a nearby BankAtlantic.

Lovell, 71, was the lone customer at the time. Police said he had a concealed weapons permit.

Gadson's grandparents told Local 10 on Thursday that Lovell was wrong for pulling the trigger.

"He should not have taken the law in his hands," said Rosa Jones, Gadson's grandmother.

Her husband, Ivory Jones, also condemned the media for its portrayal of Lovell's actions.

"I don't condone what they did, (but) I definitely don't condone the news people making him out to seem like they're making a hero out of this man because he shot somebody down," he said.

But Lovell's neighbor said he made the right decision.

"He did the right thing," said Wendi Hill. "I mean, I was glad that it was them that got shot and not him."

Police said Lovell, a retired Marine, wouldn't be charged.

Subway Customer Shoots, Kills Robbery Suspect - Local News Story - WTVJ | Miami

PLANTATION, Fla. -- One man is dead and another in critical condition after the duo was shot by a customer while they were attempting to rob a Plantation Subway shop Wednesday night, police said.

Police said 71-year-old John Lovell II used a licensed gun to shoot the alleged robbers at the Subway on North Pine Island Road and Sunrise Boulevard.

One customer, who stopped by the restaurant as the incident was taking place, had this to say to NBC 6's Tisha Lewis:

"If I came by five or 10 minutes earlier, they could have caused a situation where they could have shot me. A lot of things went through my mind," Sebastian Shakespeare said.

According to investigators, two armed men entered the restaurant, pointing guns and demanding money. Lovell turned around and saw a gun pointed at his face. Plantation police said that's when he took action.

"As the customer was being forced into the restroom at gunpoint, the customer, who was in fear for his life and legally armed, shot the robbery suspects," said Plantation Police Department spokesman Robert Rittig.

Police said one of the suspects was fatally shot in the head. He was identified as 22-year-old Donicio Ricardo Arrindell.

The other suspect, 21-year-old Fredrick Gerard Gadson, was shot in the chest and was able to run nearly 300 yards into a nearby Bank Atlantic parking lot while trying to escape, police said.

Gadson was charged with armed robbery and murder. Police said Gadson got charged with murder because, even though he did not shoot Arrindell, someone was killed while Gadson was allegedly committing a felony.

"It's a scary situation," customer Elliott Clement said. "I had a friend who worked here late at night all the time. It's not a good situation. It's very scary, but luckily everything turned out OK."

Lovell's neighbor Wendi Hill said she spoke with Lovell several times Thursday morning.

"He said everything happened in less than four seconds," Hill said.

She said it didn't surprise her at all that Lovell took action against the robbers.

"He's a very smart guy," she said. "I mean, retired pilot, retired ex-Marine."

Police said Lovell will not be charged with a crime. There is surveillance video of the incident, but police had not yet released it as of Thursday evening.

Lovell had not spoken on-camera after the incident.
    From last June, but I couldn't find it on the board so I figured I would post it.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

M2
    Sure, it is OK for the robbers to have guns, but not the law-abiding citizen.

I am sure Lovell didn't want to shoot them, but they put him in a situation where he feared for his life and the lives of others and took appropriate action. I guess had he been a police officer and shot the two criminals they would be complaining as well.

That is the problem these days, people refuse to accept responsibility for what they do. Their grandson committed a robbery and found out the hard way that crime doesn't pay. The world is a better place thanks to Lovell's actions.

One small correction in the article, there is no such thing as an ex-Marine...once a Marine, always a Marine!

Cheers! M2

Dirtbag's relative?

"He should not have taken the law in his hands," said Rosa Jones, Gadson's grandmother.

Yeah right...

This just in...

Lawful Citizens 2

Lawless Dirtbags 0

Final Score...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links