Woman Defends Herself With .22

This is a discussion on Woman Defends Herself With .22 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; News-Leader.com | Updates - News A 37-year-old man from Ava was shot with a 22 caliber weapon during a dispute Saturday. The man’s name was ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman Defends Herself With .22

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

News-Leader.com | Updates - News

A 37-year-old man from Ava was shot with a 22 caliber weapon during a dispute Saturday.

The man’s name was not being released Sunday because no charges had been filed in the case.

On Saturday, The Ozark County Sheriff’s Department received a report of a domestic dispute near Longrun, a rural area in the county.

When the officers arrived, they learned a man broke into the house and was shot by the 38-year-old female in the home. After being shot, he fled the residence.

While the two were not married, they knew each other.

There have not been a lot of calls from this address, but the sheriff’s office is acquainted with the participants, said Sheriff Raymond Pace.

The male was found near Wasola several hours later and transported to Cox South Hospital in Springfield. As of Sunday, he was still in the hospital, Pace said.

Charges of burglary and assault are expected to be filed against the man on Tuesday, Pace said.

No charges are expected against the woman.

“She was defending herself. He broke into the house,” Pace said.

This is an example of how a domestic dispute can end in a “serious situation,” Pace said.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

+1 for Missouri's Castle Doctrine law passed last year!

Not a moment too soon it would seem!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

This is an example of how a domestic dispute can end in a “serious situation,” Pace said.

What a bunch of nonsense. A "serious situation" would have been the homeowner becoming another statistic. Should have said, "This is an example of how a domestic dispute can end in justice."

Good for her.
    Freedom ... must be fought for, protected, and handed on ... or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -- Ronald Reagan, 1967

I think that someone is BS'ing in this article. It says she used a .22 and everyone knows that using a .22 is a waste of time that can't even go throught one layer of a t-shirt much less injure someone. I am sure that meant a .32 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I think that someone is BS'ing in this article. It says she used a .22 and everyone knows that using a .22 is a waste of time that can't even go throught one layer of a t-shirt much less injure someone. I am sure that meant a .32 instead.
    LOL

Thats funny. had a friend killed by a .22... but i guess it was all bs huh

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon08 View Post
    Thats funny. had a friend killed by a .22... but i guess it was all bs huh
    I too had a good friend killed with a .22. He was 16 year old and his father was showing off his gun when for some reason he fired it. Just pointing out how so much discussion goes on about the minimum caliber that you need and many people have been killed with a .22. I read once that in Californicate the #1 caliber for fatalities of LEO was the .25.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I too had a good friend killed with a .22. He was 16 year old and his father was showing off his gun when for some reason he fired it. Just pointing out how so much discussion goes on about the minimum caliber that you need and many people have been killed with a .22. I read once that in Californicate the #1 caliber for fatalities of LEO was the .25.
    That is no longer true. The drug folks have better weapons than the police.

A .22 could kill an attacker, no doubt about it. But in terms of defense, it's ability to "stop" an attack in time to prevent the shooter from being killed or gravely injured by the attacker is very poor.

Fitch

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

22 cal.

I haven't done the stats in a long time but there was a time that 22 had killed more people than all other handguns combined. Late
    1980s or early 1990s I think.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I use a Ruger 10-22 with a 30-rnd magazine for home defense. At least until I can afford an AK. I can fire off a lot of rounds in a very short time if necessary and reloading is almost instantaneous. Its short barrel and light weight makes it ideal for moving through confined spaces. A good friend of mine carries a North American Arms .22 cal. minipistol whereever he goes. All I can say is I don't want to be down-range of either weapon.
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ... they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man. Thomas Jefferson

Over the years, many mob hits have been made with a .22. The ammo is easy to get, virtually untraceable, an a couple of .22 rounds in the back of the head are very effective.

We often think that a 9mm is marginal and a .45 is really the only round that can be relied upon. But in most things, Americans often believe that "if some is good, then more is better, and too much is just about right." And sometimes that is true.

I would not pick a .22 to carry, but I'd rather have a .22 than a pocket knife. And I'd rather have a .22 than a .25.
    Dieu et les Dames

I once investigated a death that turned out to be a hunting accident with a .22. The autopsy revealed that the bullet ricocheted inside the body 3 times, making 4 wound channels. It cut the aorta and trachea, and perforated all kinds of organs. Gentleman was DRT quick!
    Have taken numerous deer, through the years with one shot just below the ear. It ruins virtually no meat and makes for a very sanitary field dressing experience. Great survival round!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by edw8ri View Post
    I would not pick a .22 to carry, but I'd rather have a .22 than a pocket knife. And I'd rather have a .22 than a .25.
    Exactly. That is why instead of carrying a pocket knife, I carry in its place a 7 shot, S&W 351 PD, .22 magnum wheelie - 11 ounces. It is not my main carry gun, it is my pocket knife!
    John -
    "The story you are about to hear is true; the names have been changed to protect the innocent."

I think the key to survival is "you use what you got". And use it better than the B/G.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

VIP Member
    Only hits count. If I had a choice between hitting a BG with harsh words or with .22 rounds I'd pick the .22.
    A word of warning; if you can afford to do more Bear does not recommend giving your wife two pieces of bubble gum for her birthday.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links