Clerk Fires Back

This is a discussion on Clerk Fires Back within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Clerk narrowly dodges bullet in store shooting A Longview clerk showed her mettle for the second time within a year Saturday, returning gunfire on an ...

Thread: Clerk Fires Back

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Clerk Fires Back

Clerk narrowly dodges bullet in store shooting

A Longview clerk showed her mettle for the second time within a year Saturday, returning gunfire on an assailant as he fled a Fourth Street convenience store.

"He cocked the gun to shoot (at) me again, and then I went barrel to barrel with him," Robin Adams said in the EZ Food Mart where she and her store manager husband, Jimmy, returned to work Sunday. "This thing happened so fast that nothing was said about money. It was like he came in here to kill me."

Store clerk Robin Adams of the EZ Food Mart at 1008 N. Fourth St. tends to daily business Sunday after exchanging gunshots with an armed robber the night before.

No one was injured in the shooting.

At 9:59 p.m. Saturday, Adams was ringing up orange juice and a cigarillo for a customer when man stepped rapidly in front of her register and raised a handgun, firing once.

"He's shooting right at her face," the manager said as he replayed an in-store video showing the man firing at his wife of 31 years. "She's got powder burns on her face."

The video shows the clerk bending slightly at the register when the gun was raised toward her. She stands up, moving her head reflexively to the left while lifting a .32-caliber pistol from a shelf just inches below the cash till.

"I'm just so happy I got lucky and tilted my head," she said, estimating the bullet missed her skull by fewer than three inches. "And the only choice I had was to pull mine out."

The clerk fired once on the fleeing man, striking a plastic glass partition. The assailant's bullet had nicked the top of a pack of Winston Light 100s behind Adams' head and continued through the store front glass.

"When I saw that glass, I knew that could've been the back of my skull," she said. "I can't believe this happened to me the night before the first Sunday in Lent. You never know what you would do in a situation like that."

The redhead gave an indication of her strong will during an attempted carjacking this past summer. She said she had been leaving a parking lot in the 1200 block of East Marshall Avenue in June when a man running from police jumped into her back seat and ordered her to drive.

"I started slapping on him, and he bailed out," she recalled.

That incident prompted her husband to take her to a local gun range for shooting lessons. She became a clerk at the EZ Mart, at 1008 N. Fourth St., in October.

"I don't like guns, but he wanted me to learn to shoot guns," she said. "When I got carjacked back in the summertime, that's when my husband said, 'You are going to learn to use a pistol.' And he took me out to the range."

Adams is in the process of obtaining a conceal/carry permit for her weapon. She said police officers told her the so-called castle doctrine, a Texas law expanding the legal definition of self defense, appeared to justify her use of the gun particularly since she was handling money at the time.

"The police took it away, ran a check on it to make sure it is clean and gave it back to me," she said. "They said, 'Take your gun back; you're going to need it.' I didn't intend to ever use it, but in this situation he was trying to kill me."

The couple said Sunday that they suspect the assailant had waited for the husband to leave the store.

"I'd been gone about three minutes when that happened," he said. "We've thrown several people out of here recently troublemakers. ... He didn't ask for no money, he didn't say anything he came in, pointed at her face and pulled the trigger."

His wife, a New Orleans native, described herself as "a very feisty Cajun."

"I don't like violence, I don't like disrespect or confrontation," she said. "But, my problem is, if you scare me you are in trouble."

She said the full impact of the ordeal had not sunk in yet.

"We went home and laid in bed for two hours with our eyes open," she said. "And we didn't get any sleep. Everybody's treating me like a baby today."

Longview police are asking anyone with information about the crime to call the department at (903) 237-1110 or Gregg County Crime Stoppers at (903) 236-STOP.

Good for her. I especially like how the police ran her gun and handed it back to her. I don't think that would be the case here in New England.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Good for her! Quick thinking and she didn't hesitate!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I find it somewhat pathetic the police "have" to run the gun of the victim to see if it's stolen.....um, how about going out to find the BGs?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I find it somewhat pathetic the police "have" to run the gun of the victim to see if it's stolen.....um, how about going out to find the BGs?
    Oh, I'm sure they are doing their best at trying to find the BG.

Still they have policies they must follow. I wouldn't chastise them for doing their jobs correctly.

I would be more worried if they had confiscated the gun and failed to return it without making the owner jump through hoops to get it back. I've heard of that happening plenty of times.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Thumbs up Good: Longview Clerk Fights Back Against Gunman

KLTV 7 Tyler-Longview-Jacksonville, TX: Longview Clerk Fights Back Against Gunman

A gunman walks into an East Texas convenience store and fires at a clerk point blank, but the clerk fights back with gunfire of her own. Around 10:30 Saturday night, Longview police say a man walked into the E-Z Food Mart on North 4th Street with a gun and fired.

Like she does everyday Longview clerk Robin Adams helped a customer Saturday night, but then a man runs in with a gun and points it at her head. For Adams, 37 it was the most frightening moment of her life.

"As soon as I raised up, all I saw was the barrel of his gun," said Adams. "He didn't ask for money. He didn't speak, he just wanted to shoot me, and I don't know why." With only a second to react, Adams said she ducked to the right as the shot is fired. Miraculously, the bullet misses, tears through a cigarette pack and out a plate glass window.

"All I was thinking at this point is like, I'm going to be shot in a split second, and I ducked to the right an he did shoot," said Adams. Adams' spilt second decision to lean to the right is what saved her life. The bullet that exited through this glass window was aimed at her head. In another second Adams makes a gutsy move and grabs a 32 pistol under the counter and fights back.

"He immediately ducked and ran out the door," said Adams. "I just followed him with the gun and shot." The suspect runs for the door and Adams fire, but a metal bar blocks the bullet.

"I looked at that glass window, and all I could think of was that could have been my skull and my children would have had their mother in a closed casket. I don't know how, or why I reacted the way I did, but it worked. I have a lot to be thankful for, a lot to prayer for and it was not my time." Adams had only been working at the store since October. Police say they have no motive for the shooting.

The suspect is described as a black male, about 5-feet 4-inches tall, weighing around 140 to 150 pounds. He was wearing a dark colored hooded sweatshirt, a baseball cap with a red bandana over his face and blues jeans. Anyone with information is asked to call the Longview Police Department.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

watched the video this morning on cnn. good for her.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

VIP Member
    There you go, it's the wear-the-mask-kill-the-witness-grab-the-money plan that went wrong for the BG.

To the BG, the clerks life is worth only a couple hundred dollars or less.

The clerk has guts to work there, and guts to defend herself.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Good for her. Would have been better had he been caught.

That encounter was substantially less than 21 feet.

Quote: "They said, 'Take your gun back; you're going to need it."

Thank you Texas LE! Great comment.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    The woman has great instincts but she needs her CCW, like "now".

They also need to redesign that store! It sounds like the clerk stands with her back to the window. The guy will just shoot her through the window the next time.

Fitch

Links