Mom: Police Told Daughter To Stop Calling Before Murder-Suicide - Page 3

Mom: Police Told Daughter To Stop Calling Before Murder-Suicide

This is a discussion on Mom: Police Told Daughter To Stop Calling Before Murder-Suicide within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Fitch The police have no responsibility to protect or prevent harm to an individual. Period. The supreme court has said so in ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mom: Police Told Daughter To Stop Calling Before Murder-Suicide

New Member Array itscoldoutthere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    The police have no responsibility to protect or prevent harm to an individual. Period. The supreme court has said so in cases almost exactly like this more than once.
    Fitch
    I disagree.....If that is the case than traffic citations should go the way of the DODO Bird. Police Departments are PROACTIVE not REACTIVE. The officer who handled that situation should be immediately fired.

Some situations do not have solutions. I respect difficulty of determining the crank calls from the real. Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by itscoldoutthere View Post
    I disagree.....If that is the case than traffic citations should go the way of the DODO Bird. Police Departments are PROACTIVE not REACTIVE. The officer who handled that situation should be immediately fired.
    You can disagree all you want, it doesn't change the fact that Fitch is right. I disagree with the concept of gravity, it doesn't change the fact that I can't fly like Superman...

An individual does not have a right to personal police protection. The Supreme Court has ruled this way a couple times, and the exact wording of this decision is in the signature of at least one of the registered members here. Also, it is only a matter of common sense. The city of New York has about 40,000 police officers for a city of 10 million people . If only 10 percent of the city's population asked for individual police protection 24/7...do the math and you will see why that dog don't hunt!! Try calling up your local law enforcement agency and tell them that you DEMAND(!!!) that they station an officer outside your house 24/7 to be PROACTIVE in preventing a burglary of your possessions and personally protecting you, and tell us how that works out for ya...

The only real problem with the "no right to individual police pretection" legal/logistical principle is that the gun grabbers act as if LEOs are all part of Tom Cruise's Pre-crime Unit from the movie Minority Report with the ability to instantly appear as soon as 911 is dialed. It is especially ironic that the event that would make Sarah Brady become the "face" of the gun-grabbers was done when her husband was literally surrounded by D.C. police officers, Secret Service, etc., and *still* got shot...
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by itscoldoutthere View Post
    How you figure? You have already broken the traffic law when apprehended, same as any other crime. Police enforce the laws, they don't make them. I don't think many here would support proactive law enforcement. We would all be in jail because we have the means to commit a murder.

As for the particular incident, it is tragic. Should someone lose their job? Not sure. Should it be investigated, certainly. Should there be some training based on what they may learn, sounds likely. It was domestic violence, a lose lose for everyone involved.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

New Member Array itscoldoutthere's Avatar
    I didn't see the individual aspect ( I agree). Deffinately a bad situation. Any police department that patrols is proactive.

I wonder if the mother did anything other than just call the police? If this kid was breaking into the house and harrassing her daughter why didn't she have a restraining order against him? That would be step one. And then you could have him arrested whenever he came around and call only when he came around. As someone else said, the police are not there to do a parents job. Her mother should have done more to protect her. I'll be damned if some kid stalks and harrasses my daughter, or breaks into my home to get to my daughter. It would not be a good day for him.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

WHT,

Read my news update post on IIRC page 3.

The BF assaulted the girl at one point and the mom by direction of her BF decided to not press charges. Instead they decided they didn't want to ruin _his_ life (their words!) and gave him the option of either join the military or they will call the cops.
    He joined the military and then secondarily came back to kill their daughter rather than assault her.

As based on results, mom didn't do much of anything and her BF/whatever wasn't much use either, and they both had bad judgment which directly resulted in what occurred.
    Had they called the cops when the boy _assaulted_ the girl he'd have been in jail and not out able to come back for the kill. :(
    Simple math.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I just read your update Janq. I agree, her mom and stepdad should have done something more. Forget not pressing charges. He assaulted her. I would have pressed charges then and got a restraining order. Start that paper trail! I don't understand that if she got a call from the marine she was seeing that this guy was at her house, why did she go home? Why didn't she atleast call her stepdad if she was afraid to call the police and let him deal with it? I am trying to think of what I would do if she was my daughter and I would want her to call me if she didn't feel comfortable calling the police. I would have told her to stay where she is and I will go drive by the house and see if I can see anything. I would have then called the police, not 911, but the actual police department number and had them come out to the house and check it out for me. Which shouldn't be a big deal because I would have had a restraining order against him already. Police show up, ask him why he's there, find out he has a gun on him. Take him to jail, my daught is still alive.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

1) I cant imagine a response to a real incident resulting in the girl getting arrested.

2) if she calls the police and DOES get arrested and have their time in front of a judge - isn't that a little better than her being killed ?

When, exactly, did people stop thinking?

Agreed WHT to your own update...It's pretty darn simple and plain.

Shizzle it seems as based on results people stopped thinking 20 to 25 yrs. ago.
    Used to be people like this boy who were known by everyone to be a problem and was stalking girls would be dissuaded if not taken care of by ones own neighborhood...policed from within the community.
    Today though folks just seem to be out their ever lovin' mind and others they just stand around telling the first person or reporter they see how they knew so 'n so was nuts (but they themselves didn't do jack) or how so 'n so seemed so 'normal'...if you ignore their otherwise craziness.

This girls parents for what ever odd and stupid reasoning put their trust into that of a teenage mental case to not hurt their daughter, again.
    The cops were wrong to say what they said to the girl and her mom...but mom was wrongest to not nip this in the bud at the time of the assault which as per the story was months prior. I cannot believe she as the girls mother actually had more compassion for her daughters attacker than that of her own blood, as based on her actions and stated reasoning that in the end came to be the as reported murder of her daughter result.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    Restraining orders are highly over rated as personal protection options - they don't do anything to protect you from harm by a determined agressor.

Fitch
    yes, but if their are witnesses to him coming on her property they could have arrested him i think.
    he probably could have gotten out w/a small bond fee though.
    i understand the fact that nothing will stop a determined stalker.i wish we had stronger stalking laws and could do more about this widespread problem.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by BushidoMarine View Post
    You can disagree all you want, it doesn't change the fact that Fitch is right. I disagree with the concept of gravity, it doesn't change the fact that I can't fly like Superman...

An individual does not have a right to personal police protection. The Supreme Court has ruled this way a couple times, and the exact wording of this decision is in the signature of at least one of the registered members here. Also, it is only a matter of common sense. The city of New York has about 40,000 police officers for a city of 10 million people . If only 10 percent of the city's population asked for individual police protection 24/7...do the math and you will see why that dog don't hunt!! Try calling up your local law enforcement agency and tell them that you DEMAND(!!!) that they station an officer outside your house 24/7 to be PROACTIVE in preventing a burglary of your possessions and personally protecting you, and tell us how that works out for ya...

The only real problem with the "no right to individual police pretection" legal/logistical principle is that the gun grabbers act as if LEOs are all part of Tom Cruise's Pre-crime Unit from the movie Minority Report with the ability to instantly appear as soon as 911 is dialed. It is especially ironic that the event that would make Sarah Brady become the "face" of the gun-grabbers was done when her husband was literally surrounded by D.C. police officers, Secret Service, etc., and *still* got shot...
    Until then, a deputy will be parked outside the home to deter any more violence, Hutcherson said

thats a statement from the newspaper about the hutchinson case about the deputys husband shooting the 17yr old.
    seems calling for protection works for them alright.
    i guess she and her family are a lot more important than this beautiful girl was though.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.”
    ― Thomas Paine

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links