Mom: Police Told Daughter To Stop Calling Before Murder-Suicide

This is a discussion on Mom: Police Told Daughter To Stop Calling Before Murder-Suicide within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported by Local6.com: Mom: Police Told Daughter To Stop Calling Before Murder-Suicide 'The Day She Died, She Knew She Couldn't Talk To Police,' Mom ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mom: Police Told Daughter To Stop Calling Before Murder-Suicide

As reported by Local6.com:

'The Day She Died, She Knew She Couldn't Talk To Police,' Mom Says

POSTED: 7:38 am EST February 18, 2008
    UPDATED: 3:04 pm EST February 18, 2008

DELAND, Fla. -- A Central Florida woman whose 17-year-old daughter was killed in a murder-suicide apparently committed by her ex-boyfriend said the teen was told by police to stop calling for help or she'd be arrested.

Police said Clay Coffner shot his estranged girlfriend, Natasha Hall, in the head outside her DeLand home Friday before turning the gun on himself.

Hall's mother, Sherry, said her daughter was concerned about Coffner and informed police.

In fact, Hall said her daughter called police so much that on Jan. 15 they threatened her.

"The police officer said if you call us one more time on him, I'm going to arrest you both," Sherry Hall said. "So, the day she died, she knew she couldn't talk to police. So, she handled it herself."

Michele Karpowicz said everyone noticed the warning signs before the homicide -- except police.

"I was going crazy," Hall's best friend said. "He was psycho, jealous and abusive."

Local 6 is trying to obtain a police call log to determine how many times the teen called police.

DeLand police officials have not responded to the allegations.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

The story with video can be found at; Mom: Police Told Daughter To Stop Calling Before Murder-Suicide - Orlando News Story - WKMG Orlando

- Janq

Personal Note: The police are not responsible for doing the job of being a parent. And parents they are responsible first for protecting their children from predators, including other children and boyfriends.

Sad all the way around.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

IMHO I don't think the police should ever encourage anyone from calling if they believe they are in danger no matter the number of calls. That's what society has trained everyone to do, call 911 - and now they say "don't call". I don't know, certainly agree that the police are not a substitute for parenting. I would like to know what law she is breaking by calling the police - what would be the charges?
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    I would like to know what law she is breaking by calling the police - what would be the charges?
    Depends upon how many times she called and what she said when she did call. They could get her for tying up 911 lines or false reporting. Those are the most common ones.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

WEll it's pretty clear she was not playing, wouldn't you say!
    I would hate to be that chief!
    I like someones signature I carry a gun, because I can't carry a cop!
    90% of the time police investigate a crime not prevent it.
    Sad!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    WEll it's pretty clear she was not playing, wouldn't you say!
    I would hate to be that chief!
    I like someones signature I carry a gun, because I can't carry a cop!
    90% of the time police investigate a crime not prevent it.
    Sad!
    That's because they are generally tied up answering false 911 and false alarm calls. My question is if "everyone" saw the signs then why didn't they do anything? Not defending anyone, Just want to know the full story and not just this narrow side.

Quote Originally Posted by Final Option View Post
    That's because they are generally tied up answering false 911 and false alarm calls. My question is if "everyone" saw the signs then why didn't they do anything? Not defending anyone, Just want to know the full story and not just this narrow side.
    Ever try to get the police to respond to a "threat" I have, they blow it off, sometimes file a report and sometimes say "you are wasting our time" but sure enough if you take action to defend yourself the first thing they say is "you should have called us first" not trying to dog on LEO because their job sucks, I have learned from experience that IF I am in fear for my safety calling 911 is a waste of time, I sat on the phone with a 911 operator for 4 minutes where she had to ask me several times to describe the suspect because he was yelling so loud that she could not hear me, and when the LEO arrived 20 minutes later of course the threat was gone, he treated me like a criminal for wasting his time, even though not 2 hours before when the same individual threatened my life and I responded in what I deemed an appropriate to the threat sittuation. The officers who showed up at the first call said "call us if he comes back" I did, know what the officer who showed up said? If you were truly in fear for you life you would leave, and this is my place of bussiness, so before you start saying the LEO are off on false alarms etc maybe, just maybe someoe blew this person off, "he wasnt really a threat" not worth filling out a report etc. For you LEO's I know you have a tough job, and dealing with people who cry wolf all the time must suck but when the police tell you not to call them or infer you are wasting their time it opens the defense for street justice, which I have felt more than once that the police would have preferred vs writing a report of an incident that may have caused them some down time.

There are always two sides to every story. Each person sees things differently based on numerous factors and prior experiences. If two peolple give you the facts of an incident you generally find that neither is correct and the truth generally falls somewhere in the middle. All I meant was I'd like to know all the facts before passing any judgement. In this post all we have is the mother's side and a friends statement. Was the guy dangerous? Obviously yes given the end result, but what was the real history of the calls and what were the police actually told? Again I'll hold judgement until I know the whole story.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    The police have no responsibility to protect or prevent harm to an individual. Period. The supreme court has said so in cases almost exactly like this more than once.

The Law Enforcement do have a duty to investigate the murder and try to bring the murderer to justice in the name of protecting society at large. In this case, all they have to do is fill out a brief report and they have done their duty - they can go back to waiting for the next victim.

The simple facts are, the way the system is set up under the laws of this country, we are all bait. The "authorities" wait to see if a bad guy takes the bait. If a bad guy/gal takes the bait, the law enforcment officials stand inside the yellow tape looking at the bait that was "taken" and make a plan to catch the criminal, if they have the budget. Depending on the bait's status in society the effort may or may not be as thorough as it might be. Depending on the criminals status in society, they may or may not (Ted Kennedy) be punished.

That is how it is. So, what happened to the bait's right to life? That is what the second amendment is for!

The Florida Police Chief has exactly nothing to worry about. The police did nothing wrong according to the law.

I realize it sucks, but that "is" the official approved "system". The girl needed a gun!

Fitch

Quote Originally Posted by Fitch View Post
    I realize it sucks, but that "is" the official approved "system". The girl needed a gun!

Fitch
    one problem here the "girl" was not old enough to buy a gun. So where does that leave her now? oh yeah thats right dead,

"one problem here the "girl" was not old enough to buy a gun. So where does that leave her now? oh yeah thats right dead,"

+1

Sad story, sounds to me like she needed a dad. No mention of a father in the story.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Quote Originally Posted by Final Option View Post
    There are always two sides to every story. Each person sees things differently based on numerous factors and prior experiences. If two peolple give you the facts of an incident you generally find that neither is correct and the truth generally falls somewhere in the middle. All I meant was I'd like to know all the facts before passing any judgement. In this post all we have is the mother's side and a friends statement. Was the guy dangerous? Obviously yes given the end result, but what was the real history of the calls and what were the police actually told? Again I'll hold judgement until I know the whole story.
    Why would she call so many times if not in fear? Bored?I mean OMG We have mothers side, friends statement(probably not old enough to own a gun), oh yea, a dead girl! Why would she call that many times ....nevermind!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Administrator
    If you guys knew the number of these types of calls dispatch gets in a day...

Most of them turn out to be complete BS, and if we did what should be done each and everytime, you guys would be complaining about that too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Personal Note: The police are not responsible for doing the job of being a parent. And parents they are responsible first for protecting their children from predators, including other children and boyfriends.

Sad all the way around.
    Agree, and FWIW, in Florida, a minor cannot file a legal injunction requiring the abuser to refrain fr contact. Only the parent can do so on behalf of their child. While doing so obviously doesn't guarantee that the injunction will be obeyed, having done so will certainly elevate the LE sense of urgency and response if necessary.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If you guys knew the number of these types of calls dispatch gets in a day...

Most of them turn out to be complete BS, and if we did what should be done each and everytime, you guys would be complaining about that too.
    Absolutely---but this is what I was getting in in that other thread, Sixto. People have been told, again and again, that they are supposed to rely on the police to solve these problems, and that's why so many people cry wolf. Unlike those on this forum, most people don't realize that the police have no legal obligation to prevent crime or protect individuals.

This really is a lousy situation all around. As was pointed out, the girl was too young to have a gun anyway. She needed a bunch of brothers to beat the crap out of the guy until he got the point his presence was no longer desired.
    Last edited by kazzaerexys; February 19th, 2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Typo.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links