Man Killed at Michigan Gas Station

This is a discussion on Man Killed at Michigan Gas Station within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This incident happened on Monday. Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Alleged shooter released while probe continues Posted by John Agar | ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man Killed at Michigan Gas Station

Man Killed at Michigan Gas Station

This incident happened on Monday. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Alleged shooter released while probe continues

Posted by John Agar | The Grand Rapids Press February 19, 2008 17:52PM

Categories: Breaking News

GRAND RAPIDS -- The alleged shooter in a slaying at a Boston Square gas station has been released from jail while Kent County prosecutors review police reports.

Gabriel Rodriguez, 48, was shot in the head Monday afternoon after a confrontation with a customer -- an acquaintance -- near the pumps at the Shell station at 1562 Kalamazoo Ave. SE. The alleged shooter, a 41-year-old man with no criminal record, sat and waited for police to arrive.

Police said that the victim lunged at the other man with an undisclosed object in his hand before he was shot in the head. Police said that Rodriguez later died at St. Mary's Health Care, with his family around him. Hospital spokeswoman Micki Benz said the hospital had no record of Rodriguez being treated there.

Prosecutor William Forsyth met with detectives Tuesday, and decided that the alleged shooter should be released from the Kent County Jail pending further investigation. The man was held overnight, then released Tuesday afternoon, jail records showed.

Forsyth said no timetable had been set to determine if the alleged shooter should face charges. He was originally held on suspicion of attempted murder.

"We've got to look at a number of things. There's some things police need to track down," Forsyth said.

Neither he nor police Capt. Jeffrey Hertel would disclose the object Rodriguez allegedly had in his hand when he lunged at the other man.

Self-defense "will be a theory Mr. Forsyth has to decide," Hertel said.

Police said the victim and alleged shooter had crossed paths before, but would not elaborate. Hertel said police did not want to disclose what was said before the shooting until Forsyth issued a ruling.

Police said that Rodriguez, who lives across the street from the station, was picking up trash around the station when he and a man started arguing. The other man fired a single shot from a handgun, then stood over the victim.

GO HUSKERS!!

2. Remove Ads

I noticed in a news blurb today they released him, reason stated was pending further investigation, N that he claimed the guy came at him with a hidden object, Mi castle says you only have to be in fear of your life, N if someone bigger than me were coming at me with something in their hand N Mi does not allow a it citizens a taser, well you be the judge.

Oh one more thing, the shooter was real stupid for engaging in a argument when you CCW you have to be better than that, N sometimes that may involve swallowing your pride and just walking away.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    I noticed in a news blurb today they released him, reason stated was pending further investigation, N that he claimed the guy came at him with a hidden object, Mi castle says you only have to be in fear of your life, N if someone bigger than me were coming at me with something in their hand N Mi does not allow a it citizens a taser, well you be the judge.

Oh one more thing, the shooter was real stupid for engaging in a argument when you CCW you have to be better than that, N sometimes that may involve swallowing your pride and just walking away.
    Your assuming the shooter engaged in the argument. For all we know he could have just been getting gas. The man who was shot picked up something to use as a weapon. He may have done that because he was attacking a bigger man. We really don't know. What I know is that the shooter is a quiet man who isn't the type to seek conflict. He isn't exactly a little person, but also isn't big by todays standards. That much I know, and it still isn't enough to base and opinion other than I can't imagine he went there to argue with the attacker. Also, another point is that the witnesses described him as a "customer".

Don't be so quick to rush to judgment.

The fact that the GF said that the attacker couldn't let it go that the shooter gave here a ride home (as a friend of the family) suggest that the attacker might have some obsessive anger issues.

"He didn't want anybody to mess with me," Taylor said of Rodriguez. "That guy, he was a friend of the family. He gave me a ride. Gabe had a problem with it. I took the ride, and Gabriel wouldn't let it slip. He thought he was someone in my past."
    Suspect in fatal shooting is brother of cop - mlive.com

Sounds like it was alcohol powered. I wonder how many of these things are?

I may be mistaken or it could have been a case of bad reporting but the version of the shooting I read stated that the shooter had engaged in a argument with the man just prior to the incident, and it did confirm that he was attacked and his assailant had a hidden object in his hand, which could have been anything from a (democratic version) love letter to (republican version) knife. This whole event is sad but what makes it worse is the locals are trying to play the "RACE" card. They seem to be keeping what he had in his hands a secret though, likey pending the investigation.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I may be mistaken or it could have been a case of bad reporting but the version of the shooting I read stated that the shooter had engaged in a argument with the man just prior to the incident, and it did confirm that he was attacked and his assailant had a hidden object in his hand, which could have been anything from a (democratic version) love letter to (republican version) knife. This whole event is sad but what makes it worse is the locals are trying to play the "RACE" card. They seem to be keeping what he had in his hands a secret though, likey pending the investigation.
    It definitely sounds like bad reporting. The police wouldn't release info on the "object". I think it's possible the "engaged" comment could be spin. Say you were at a station fueling up your vehicle and some miscreant came along and started talking to you while your refueling. Does that mean you "engaged" in conversation with the person?

It's quite possible that the shooter did make a mistake by engaging with his attacker. However, that should be irrelevant once the attacker picks up an object and attacks him. Most attacks are set up by the attacker engaging his victim. Just because the victim falls for the ploy doesn't mean they are in the wrong, and they shouldn't be vilified for it.

Based on what the fiancee said, it makes sense that the attacker instigated things. He was obsessing about the shooter.

Don't know how it could be a race thing. If they aren't both African-American/black/whatever, then one of them might be Latino due to the name of Rodriguez. Judging by the pics, he looks black.

Where did you hear about them playing the race card?

I Will say that there is a strong anti-police presence in this town. I don't know if it's justified or not, but it's there. One of the local radio personalties even said they are racist. I often wonder if it has anything to do with the rising gang presence, crime, and a falling economy that tends to spur such activities.

Sounds like a good shoot.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Rodriguez was 48yrs old? the way he acted sounds like emotionally he was still in jr. high.
    shot because of a foolish act over nothing.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by theghostrider View Post
    Where did you hear about them playing the race card?
    TV there was a very short blurb on a few nights back just after the release, the guys son went there during a rant that was tactfully cut short by the station.

TV there was a very short blurb on a few nights back just after the release, the guys son went there during a rant that was tactfully cut short by the station.
    It'll be interesting to hear what he was talking about. Both men are/were black.

Those "undisclosed objects" are a pain. Wonder why it was "undisclosed?"

It is one of those times where mace would of really come in handy. I do not know the whole story but either way it does not sound good for either side.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Landor View Post
    It is one of those times where mace would of really come in handy. I do not know the whole story but either way it does not sound good for either side.
    Yeah some good stuff and not the glorified spice we are allowed here in Mi, also a nice Taser would be a nice thing to have, but again in Mi only the police can have them. On the bright side there is a bill pending that states if you have a CCW then you too can own a Taser, but it is just pending.

Now I wonder if anyone has done a study on how effective a Taser is at stopping someone at a full charge with a knife before they can inflict fatal damage through their momentum.

personally I hope that bill dies. It looks like a way to replace our guns with something else. Then they can take away the guns.

"...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links