It can happen anywhere

It can happen anywhere

This is a discussion on It can happen anywhere within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Courier, Russellville, Ark. A "robbery" in the town next to me. As far as I know, this is a first. the story... Man killed ...

Thread: It can happen anywhere

Senior Moderator

It can happen anywhere

The Courier, Russellville, Ark.

A "robbery" in the town next to me. As far as I know, this is a first.

the story...

Man killed following break-in

Story date: Feb. 22, 2008

Intruder kicked in door, brandished assault rifle before being killed by homeowner, sheriff says
    By Mary Kincy Benefield
    Reporter
    A Dardanelle man is dead after he and an unidentified accomplice apparently broke into a residence off State Highway 22 near Dardanelle late Wednesday night, authorities said Thursday.
    Yell County Sheriff Bill Gilkey confirmed one of the home’s occupants shot and killed Mike Jensen, 44, after Jensen and another man allegedly entered the residence by kicking in the front door.
    Four people were inside the home at the time of the break-in, Gilkey said.
    Jensen — who after entering the home made his way down a hallway and was at the point of entering a bedroom when he was shot — was armed with an SKS assault rifle investigators later learned was not loaded, Gilkey said.
    The other intruder fled the scene in a vehicle authorities recovered Thursday morning, Gilkey said, adding investigators were working to process the vehicle in hopes of learning the second man’s identity.
    Gilkey said authorities do not expect any charges will be filed against the homeowner — who Gilkey said used “a shotgun” to deter Jensen — in connection with the matter.
    He said the intruders’ motive was uncertain.
    “We’re just assuming that they came in there to rob the family,” he said.

Dardanelle is a small town, with a population of around 4,000 and events like this are few and far between. Its just goes to show that no where is "safe" anymore, that crime that is usally reserved for the big citys is making it to small town America.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Indeed----"anywhere". Truth be known, none of us actually live in 'small-town' USA anymore, nor are exempt from this ever happening. Current economic trends and other factors seem to point in the direction of these criminal activities increasing in the near future. Be ready!

I'm sorry, but ya just have to love this line from the sheriff:
    Gilkey said authorities do not expect any charges will be filed against the homeowner — who Gilkey said used “a shotgun” to deter Jensen — in connection with the matter.
    (emphasis mine)

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

I built this house out in the middle of nowhere 25+ yrs ago..never had to lock my door at night. Had kin come in from Kalistinkistan and they would always lock my doors for me. Recently, within the last 6 months, I have started to lock my doors. Guns have always been handy in the house but now they are much more accessable to me and mine. Being this far out, it's dark and quiet and when you think about it, prime target for BG activities as no one would hear anything and the bg's could drive away with no witness'. I know my chances are slim for anything to happen out here as compared to living in the city, but there is a chance that it could happen thus I need to be alert and ready, just as that feller was down there in Yell Co.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Indeed----"anywhere". Truth be known, none of us actually live in 'small-town' USA anymore, nor are exempt from this ever happening. Current economic trends and other factors seem to point in the direction of these criminal activities increasing in the near future. Be ready!
    how true. seems to be getting worse everyday. just read the
    paper or watch the news. sad but true.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

The increase in small town crime was an impetus for Nancy and I to get our CHL's a few years ago.

The rural crimes might tend to be more violent and drawn out due to remoteness too.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

The bad guy was not very smart. He had an unloaded SKS. Maybe he thought the evil assault rife would hurt someone on its own. Sick'em SKS!

Semper Fi

Sponsored Links