Heroine Jean Assam discusses her gunfight/tactics in detail (VIDEO)

Heroine Jean Assam discusses her gunfight/tactics in detail (VIDEO)

This is a discussion on Heroine Jean Assam discusses her gunfight/tactics in detail (VIDEO) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "I dropped him..hard." Well done, Jean....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heroine Jean Assam discusses her gunfight/tactics in detail (VIDEO)

Thumbs up Heroine Jean Assam discusses her gunfight/tactics in detail (VIDEO)

"I dropped him..hard."

Well done, Jean.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

One of the Colorado Springs TV stations (KVDR) had this in depth interview with her last night - very illuminating. Her LEO training and Warrior instincts really kicked in during the incident.

KVDR continued, however, to refer to her a a "security guard", even thou she was there as a private citizen that had a CHL.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    One of the Colorado Springs TV stations (KVDR) had this in depth interview with her last night - very illuminating. Her LEO training and Warrior instincts really kicked in during the incident.

KVDR continued, however, to refer to her a a "security guard", even thou she was there as a private citizen that had a CHL.
    Really...to some, I thought her LEO training didn't matter (previous thred). As for "security guard"...she was a volunteer that the church used to provide security details, along with I believe 5 others that day.

Sincere kudos to her...no doubt she has what it takes.

Rick

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    I think 'security guard' and 'security officer' both imply that she is a paid employee of a security service with a uniform, radio, OWB holster, etc. If I understand correctly, she is a member of the congregation. It might be logical to assume that certain members would attend the early service and then trade off with other people afterwards so they can all get their church on.

What our country should learn is this: Some of the people 'doing security' that day were carrying a handgun. Some were not. Which of them stopped the murderer and how?

I do my own security.

AWESOME lady!!!

We should all have the ability to respond in like manner to protect ourselves and others!!!

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

A couple things she clarifies very "tactfully" are... that "Mr I drew fire" and Mr "I tried to get them to give me their gun" did not do as he seems to claim he did. He watched but he completely misportrays the situation and his role in it. Which indeed I had suspected all along. She was first in line between the perps and the others were still farther back behind it all.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Really...to some, I thought her LEO training didn't matter (previous thred). As for "security guard"...she was a volunteer that the church used to provide security details, along with I believe 5 others that day.

Rick
    She advanced until the threat stopped - she didn't allow the perp to escape or create more damage. She advanced.....Warrior behavior

She was not a compensated security guard at the church. One of those "froze" BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    I think 'security guard' and 'security officer' both imply that she is a paid employee of a security service with a uniform, radio, OWB holster, etc.
    This is the implication made.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    Kudos, indeed. A few people like this in every community would go a long way towards ending criminal violence like we've seen at VT, NIU, and so on. Very well done.

And stop calling her a "security officer."
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    ...One of those "froze" BTW.

This is the implication made.

No... she discounts that. That story came from the "Unarmed self claimed hero" that she tactfully discounts. He was the one she says was "watching" only... Watch again and read between her lines... She is trying to be nice about it. But he could not have been as close as he claims nor did he do anything. The fake columbs he is behind are much further back down the hall. A far ways back. Where he claimed to have shouted and drawn fire from. Remember that it was he that claimed they froze but in fact they were simply covering and waiting for him to come further down. She says by that time the hall was empty except for her and the gunman and her other people back down the hall behind her. Which was almost into the rotunda where they were. She was at least 50 yards on down the hall from that. This is a huge hallway with crossing hallways and she was in the crossing hallway for a time. His story is suspect to say the least. What aggravated him at one point was they would not give him their guns. Which no one here would have either. She discounts his story completely in that last part of the interview but she is being kind about it. So you can dismiss the story of them freezing too. Or give it little weight at all.

Quote Originally Posted by cphilip View Post
    No... she discounts that. That story came from the "Unarmed self claimed hero" that she tactfully discounts. He was the one she says was "watching" only... Watch again and read between her lines... She is trying to be nice about it. But he could not have been as close as he claims nor did he do anything. The fake columbs he is behind are much further back down the hall. A far ways back. Where he claimed to have shouted and drawn fire from. Remember that it was he that claimed they froze but in fact they were simply covering and waiting for him to come further down. She says by that time the hall was empty except for her and the gunman and her other people back down the hall behind her. Which was almost into the rotunda where they were. She was at least 50 yards on down the hall from that. This is a huge hallway with crossing hallways and she was in the crossing hallway for a time. His story is suspect to say the least. What aggravated him at one point was they would not give him their guns. Which no one here would have either. She discounts his story completely in that last part of the interview but she is being kind about it. So you can dismiss the story of them freezing too. Or give it little weight at all.
    I agree with your analysis - I have seen, read, and heard various analysis, and now agree with your analysis based on what has been said to date.

The BoFo that originally made himself out to be a "hero" of sorts was always suspect in my mind....I mistakenly did not correlate his statements with the "freeze", however, and somehow correlated that with another eyewitness for some reason. My mistake......

What I think what we'll all find instructive is when we can somehow obtain the floor plans, time lines and actors positions all professionally analyzed.........

It doesn't change the fact that she engaged the perp and stopped the threat.....it just corrects some of the extraneous details that deserve to be correctly stated.

Assistant Administrator
    I wish some of ''them'' out there - who are rabidly against carry, and in particular carry in major establishments, would correlate this with other shootings.

Shootings where there was no one armed to hand - no one to limit the mayhem and carnage. This lady did a great job - and in my eyes reflects the very best of what concealed carry can do.

Wish so many would put aside stupid anti gun emotion and see the big picture - applying logic for a change.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Geeze..she is a LOT cuter than I thought! And she can shoot too! That shot she took to stop that bg had to be at least 40-50 yards!..Impressive and heroic!!

No doubt about it... this Gal is a real Hero!

Assistant Administrator
    I wish some of ''them'' out there - who are rabidly against guns and carry, and in particular carry in major establishments, would correlate this with other shootings. ........

Shootings where there was no one armed to hand - no one to limit the mayhem and carnage. This lady did a great job - and in my eyes reflects the very best of what concealed carry can do.

Wish so many would put aside stupid anti gun emotion and see the big picture - applying logic for a change.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    That lady handles herself really well. Awesome. She was definitely in the zone and got there in a matter of a couple of seconds. There was no hesitation - she was as surprised as anyone about what was going down, she had just arrived at the facility, yet from the second smoke bomb she was moving toward the threat. She analyzed her options in the hallway, and IMO discarded the plan because she didn't want the attacker shooting down that hallway if he returned her fire. Cool head. She wasn't in mental overload at all. By her own description, she was calm.

Then she steps out, opens fire, and advances till she can see he is down. She is holding a virtual gun during the walk through if you watch her hands.

I counted 27 of her steps from the hall way to where she said he was "lying over there". She was pointing to a spot maybe 15' to 20' away. She isn't very tall, probably not more than 5'-4" so she won't have long strides. If her strides are between 24 and 30 inches, and we see them all as she is walking from the hallway to where she points, her 5 shots were at a range of at least 70 to 90 feet. 5 hits under pressure at that range is darn good shooting.

There is a lot to learn from that video.

I don't see how she could have done better than she did under the circumstances.

I wonder what make, model, and caliber of gun she was shooting? Anybody know?

Fitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links