SUNY Stony Brook in Lockdown after "gunman seen"

This is a discussion on SUNY Stony Brook in Lockdown after "gunman seen" within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So my girlfriend just called me, she is a student at SUNY Stony Brook on Long Island New York. Apparently the campus went into lock ...

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar

So my girlfriend just called me, she is a student at SUNY Stony Brook on Long Island New York. Apparently the campus went into lock down about half hour ago because a man with a handgun was reported.

Stony Brook University Emergency Management

Notifications from the Stony Brook University Emergency Operations Center

Report of a possible gun on campus

University Police received a report that a young male fled the Student Activity Center Cafeteria and later displayed what was reported as a handgun. The individual was reported to be an African American male, approximately 25 years of age, wearing a black coat and black wool hat. He fled in the direction of Harriman Hall. University Police are searching the area and investigating the report. Remain alert, proceed with caution and notify University Police if you see anyone fitting the description of the individual or anything unusual. You can reach University Police by callling 911 from any campus phone or 632-3333.

Return to this website for updates.

Feb. 25, 2008 2:51 pm

(During a disaster or major emergency, all students, faculty and staff are encouraged to monitor this website and other communications outlets for additional information that may become available (WUSB 90.1 FM, Campus Cable Channel 8, and local media stations.)
    National news has not seemed to pick up on this yet (or doesn't have anything to say yet). I think it is interesting to look at the spread of info about the possible danger. In essence, my girlfriend found out through a telephone tree and there is that pitiful statement on the web site. Statement was posted at 2:51 and she found out about 3:00. 9 minutes is not that bad considering she isn't even on campus. Still, its not quick enough to save your life if something was actually happening.

Anyone seen a "African American male, approximately 25 years of age, wearing a black coat and black wool hat"? I guess that description would fit several hundred people on campus at the moment... I guess around half the campus is male, around half black, all are 18-30 years old, and i bet a good number of them are wearing black jackets and wool hats.

It is really tough to have good info about what is happening and relay it to a lot of people quickly. Kudos to first responders who do it every day.

we'll see how this one turns out. Seems like a punk with a gun and some drugs to me...?
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

all clear given after 1 hour 4 minutes:

Notifications from the Stony Brook University Emergency Operations Center

Update:
    University and Suffolk County Police have conducted an extensive search of the Stony Brook University Main Campus and have determined that there is no longer an immediate threat to the Campus Community. Police have issued an all-clear to continue normal classes and activities. University and Suffolk County Police are continuing with increased patrols throughout campus.

As always, remain alert and report any suspicious activity to University Police by dialing 911 from any campus phone or 632-3333. Go to Stony Brook website for updates Stony Brook University Emergency Management.

Feb. 25, 2008, 3:55 pm

WOW, I went to school there. It's an open campus, and a working hospital, so I don't know how good a lockdown is but glad to hear all is well.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

"The individual was reported to be an African American male, approximately 25 years of age, wearing a black coat and black wool hat."

Isn't that "racial profiling" they would have to stop and question every balck male on campus who had that discription, and I would bet that there would be more than just one!

If the national media do pick up on this, they will spin it along the lines of "Campus Lockdown was effective at stopping potential gunman"

The truth, however, is that the only reason the lockdown worked was because this guy didn't feel like shooting any sheep at that moment.

Kudos to the campus cops, but they still wouldn't have gotten there fast enough if this guy decided to start firing inside the activety center.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Probably just some sap who was mexican carrying, and accidentally dropped his piece. If he had been looking to shoot the place up, I'm guessing there wouldn't have been much to stop him.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

'All Clear' Text Message Issued After Police Investigate Alleged Gunman Incident | Stony Brook Independent

a plain-clothes security guard at the Student Activities Center approached the suspect after an apparent theft.

"At that point, the perpetrator showed what appeared to be a gun," Kenny said.

the security guard, who he described as a "greeter" who works for the Faculty Student Association, "backed off and called police."
    whole thing is worth a read... i didn't realize the event occurred as early as 1:30
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    "The individual was reported to be an African American male, approximately 25 years of age, wearing a black coat and black wool hat."

Isn't that "racial profiling"
    No, not when it's seeking a specific suspect in the immediate area based on particular eyewitness information.

It isn't racially motivated merely because apparent ethnicity is part of the eyewitness description.

It also isn't profiling, if it's a short-term tactical search focused on finding a specific individual, as opposed to policy that casts a wide, non-specific net based on bigoted or stereotyped assumptions (ie, MidEast males in their 20's are likely to be terrorists, therefore ...).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links