Elizabeth State University Drill - Page 2

Elizabeth State University Drill

This is a discussion on Elizabeth State University Drill within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Wow....just imagine if a carrying student didn't get the email message and "eliminated the threat" themselves... The gun was red...but still, not cool. Someone could ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elizabeth State University Drill

Mock Gunman Drill Terrifies Students

Wow....just imagine if a carrying student didn't get the email message and "eliminated the threat" themselves... The gun was red...but still, not cool. Someone could have thought it was a real gun...I've seen some crazy color schemes on real guns.

FOXNews.com - Mock Gunman Drill Terrifies Students, Faculty at North Carolina University - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Mock Gunman Drill Terrifies Students, Faculty at North Carolina University
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008

E-Mail Print Share:
    DiggFacebookStumbleUpon
    ELIZABETH CITY, N.C. Elizabeth City State University is offering counseling to faculty and students after some became unknowing participants in an emergency response drill.

The News & Observer of Raleigh reported in Wednesday's editions that an armed man burst into a classroom Friday, threatening to kill students. The drill came eight days after a gunman killed five people and himself in a classroom at Northern Illinois University.

Anthony Brown, vice chancellor of student affairs, said ECSU was testing its response to such shootings. E-mail and text messages were sent five days before the drill, notifying students, staff and faculty, he said.

"The intent was not to frighten them but to test our system and also to test the response of the security that was on campus and the people that were notified," Brown said.

But not everyone got the word, including assistant professor Jingbin Wang, whose American foreign policy class was held hostage.

"I was prepared to die at that moment," Wang said Tuesday of the moment the gunman entered the room.

At 1:31 p.m. Friday, e-mail and text messages were sent, saying: "This is a test. ECSU is holding a test drill where an armed intruder will enter a room in Moore Hall and be detained by campus police."

The campus police officer who played the role of the intruder carried a red plastic model gun, the school said in a news release.

In a telephone interview Tuesday, Wang said the man came to the door and said he wanted to talk. "Suddenly the man pointed the gun at me," he said, adding that he didn't have time to consider whether the gun was real.

The seven students were lined up against the wall, and the intruder threatened to kill the one with the lowest grade point average. Wang said the man told them that he had been kicked out of school and that he needed a lung transplant.

After about 10 minutes, campus police ended the drill by subduing the man.

In April, 32 students at Virginia Tech were killed by student gunman Seung-Hui Cho. That shooting has led schools to examine their emergency plans and conduct safety drills.

For example, UNC-Greensboro held an active shooter exercise in January that was attended by law enforcement and university officials from around the state. But students were not on campus when the drill was held during winter break.

What's scary is what would have happened to any of the students or faculty that didn't realize it was a drill right away and just reacted as they had been trained... I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have the time to determine if a gun pointed at my face is real or not...I'm treating it as real because there are in fact "colored" firearms now and who's to say a BG wouldn't paint his firearm in an effort to keep the responding LEO's from shooting him?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

If that were to happen at most places in Texas I would think that someone would "pop" the fictional B/G. I would hope going forward that communication would be much much better in getting the word out that a "drill" is going to take place. And yes it would have been bad news for someone who had decided to carry in that classroom, regardless of approval, and the good guy too.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Yeah that sounds real.

"Everyone against the wall, lineup based on your GPA", then lets wait 10 minutes.

That's not exactly realistic from anything I've seen...... I thought random mass shooting were, ohidunno, RANDOM MASS SHOOTINGS.

And I'm darned glad I wasnt in that class.

As a student with a very high GPA, I'd have been PISSED if they killed the low GPA students. I'd risk my life to save the blessed bell curve !!!! *lol*

And they offered counseling for those traumatized by this drill!!!! Give me a break! Get over it! Or,,,,,,,, maybe it's like Virginia Tech trying to collect millions of dollars for the free counseling that was done after the shooting there!
    More over achievers in sensitivity training!! This is ridiculous!!What about all the a bomb drills we had to go through in grade school?? More hogwash from too many over sensitized people!!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    Note to all parents of college age children (or soon to be college age...):

No matter how stupid a stunt this was to pull, something can be learned from it.

Look at what happened IN the classroom. There were NO sheepdogs....ONLY SHEEP!

This is unacceptable, these young adults DIDN'T DO ANYTHING about the threat!

All of you parents need to beat (metaphorically), this fact into your kids!

This is a good example of what NOT to do, if you are in a classroom where this kind of intrusion occurs. Someone should have started throwing desks, chairs, books, laptops (or even bullets) at this BG. They didn't know he was a GG, to them he could well have been another Cho....But what did they do? They sat there like sheep to be slaughtered.

Have these young adults learned nothing about the real world? ...Apparently not...Until this mentality changes, BGs will always have an easy time finding targets for their twisted needs.

( I do want to add one other thought, CPHILIP touched on it in his post.....What if one person in that class had a firearm? Even given the fact that he was with campus security......What a strong message would have been sent to all the would-be BGs. They would be unsure if they could get away with it..... Now, with the way it turned out, a potential BG knows he will still be able to 'win'.....)
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

AMEN!!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

Maybe students need to start carrying large lead sinkers to class to throw at Idiots that play at terror. I cannot fatham people who just sit there and wait to be shot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links