Elizabeth State University Drill

This is a discussion on Elizabeth State University Drill within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I searched a bit and hadn't found anything about this posted yet so I figured I'd give ya guys the link. Elizabeth State University Drill ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Elizabeth State University Drill

I searched a bit and hadn't found anything about this posted yet so I figured I'd give ya guys the link.

I for one find this to be insane. That plain clothes campus cop is very lucky he wasn't killed. What are your thoughts?
    "I play for keeps."

Senior Moderator
    That is dumb, it is lucky that bad things didn't happen.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

What good really does a drill do until all are trained in a form or response in what to do in a case of such an incident? You drill on your response and those students and faculty had not been trained to do anything. So that just leaves only your Police to do anything and they had best not be using Students and Professors as "props" to practice on without their knowledge. In the aftermath of recent shootings one can assume that at least one Faculty, Staff or student has taken it upon himself to ignore the no guns rules and is carrying and someone is going to get shot.

While I admire their intent, their execution was poor.

That yahoo is lucky one of those students didn't decide to be a hero and utilize some self-defense HTH CQC on his head.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Yep, lucky cop. If this was a place where there are legal CCW holders and it is merely University regulation, as opposed to law, prohibiting guns on campus, there could well have been an armed CCW'er in class who decided to do something about it. Then you'd have one dead cop, one expelled student, and, if the justice system worked properly, no criminal charges. Pretty big civil suit against the school, though...

Edit to add: Although, since every state treats an unloaded gun or a suitably gun-like dummy the same as a real weapon, I wonder if there could theoretically be aggravated assault charges levied against somebody here? And since it was all planned out, there could be conspiracy to commit some sort of felony here... Just thinking aloud.
    Last edited by kazzaerexys; February 27th, 2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Typos.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Next time might be the real deal andstudents figure it's another dumb ass drill,that's what happens when people get to educated the think they know the answer to everything.Dipsticks response was we need more drills to iron out the kinks,I thnk you need to let people carry legally concealed that way BG pulls gun shoots, 100 students shoot back,I like them odds

the professor was unaware and he thought it was a real gun/situation - he should sue!

if he (or one of his students) had a heart attack and died as a result of this felony stupidity - they should be criminally liable

the president of that "fine" educational institution (and anyone else who approved this activity) should be fired

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    It amazes me there are so many dumb people in the world. Its a good thing that no one was carrying a concealed weapon; licensed or not.....
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Too bad the teacher wasn't H2H trained and sent the fake BG home with a nasty bump on his head.
    Teach the sheep how to sit quietly and wait for the government to come save 'em. That's all they want you to do
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Stupid is becoming more common.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Wow! They ought to fire whoever organized this "test" and whoever runs the emergency alert system (and possibly the whole administration). It is even more ridiculous that they are trying to defend it.

I think the prof and students in the class should press for assault charges and civil lawsuits.

You don't have a fire drill by lighting the building on fire!

edit: better article:

The campus police officer who played the role of the intruder carried a red plastic model gun, the school said in a news release.

In a telephone interview Tuesday, Wang said the man came to the door and said he wanted to talk. "Suddenly the man pointed the gun at me," he said, adding that he didn't have time to consider whether the gun was real.

The seven students were lined up against the wall, and the intruder threatened to kill the one with the lowest grade point average. Wang said the man told them that he had been kicked out of school and that he needed a lung transplant.

After about 10 minutes, campus police ended the drill by subduing the man.
    Weren't we just warned last week about the danger of guns that are painted brightly colored?

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...mer-glock.html

Idiots abound......

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Yep, lucky cop. If this was a place where there are legal CCW holders and it is merely University regulation, as opposed to law, prohibiting guns on campus, there could well have been an armed CCW'er in class who decided to do something about it. Then you'd have one dead cop, one expelled student, and, if the justice system worked properly, no criminal charges. Pretty big civil suit against the school, though...
    I do not live in Virginia any longer, but am I not correct that this was indeed a possibility? The only Virginia public university at which CCW is prohibited by law that I am aware of is Virginia Commonwealth University: LIS > Administrative Code > 8VAC90-10-50 .

Virginia members, are there now others?

I particularly like how, in a drill, it still took 10 minutes to come and subdue the guy...

10 minutes is, or could be, 100 dead. I think they flunked their own test.

WOW is all I can say. I know some people that carry on campus (not agaisn't the law, just the school rules) Could of had a bad ending.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links