Man shot motorcycle rider for following his daughters (GA)

This is a discussion on Man shot motorcycle rider for following his daughters (GA) within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Stupid is becoming more common....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Man shot motorcycle rider for following his daughters (GA)

Stupid is becoming more common.

2. Remove Ads

Be it the furthest thing from my mind to think that the teenagers really played up the situation in their phone conversation, and he was more than likely primed and ready to go long before they got home. Really too bad someone died over this, and hence, the whole (real) story may never be known.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I don't know of any motorcycle riders that would try to ram a car with a bike,sounds like they might of cut him off, possibly hit him then left the scene and he was following trying to get info for filing a police report,and Dad based on info provided by daughters just shot his way into a prison cell for a very long time
    This makes a lot of sense. There's nothing in the story about Mough yelling or gesturing at anybody as he rode up and down the street. And if he's still on the bike, he's not much of a threat to anybody.

The dad's going away for a long time; it's a shame that there will probably be no criminal charges for the idiot kids who very likely set all this in motion.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Well...it could be worse. His middle name could be "Lee" or "Wayne". Then you know he's just a serial killer waiting to happen.
    . Wait a minute, my middle name is Wayne and I havn't Kil....uh-oh, I feel my blood pressure going up.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Another example of a road-rage shootout.. Only this time
    it's there father that will pay the price.

I can't think of any situation where I would intentionally make contact with an automobile.
    I don't know of any motorcycle riders that would try to ram a car with a bike,sounds like they might of cut him off, possibly hit him then left the scene and he was following trying to get info for filing a police report,and Dad based on info provided by daughters just shot his way into a prison cell for a very long time
    Agree. I'm sorry for the rider's family, I don't think Mr. Dad has any legal ground to stand on.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Lead Moderator
    Even if the biker was exhibiting road rage, unless he was an immediate threat to the dad or girls there was no reason to shoot him.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Since they did go home, it would have been smarter on his part to just be standing at the end of the driveway to try to get a tag number and description of the bike. Then he could have called 911 with the info. If at that time the biker wanted to confront someone it could have played out from there.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

It appears from the story to be a clear case of unjustified use of force. I hope that as much of the story as possible gets to the jury, since the papers will never report the rest. It would be great, if this is not a full representation or if more comes out, if someone in the area would update us.

Everyone who said the kids should not have come home is correct. I don't know about you guys, I am not in law enforcement, I don't konw where the nearest police station is, I only know of a couple and they are not near my neighborhood. Maybe I should fix that.

If the biker was going to get information he would have stopped, right? Could be the father intimidated him so he didn't, but then why go back by the house again? Maybe the only way out of the area? There are a lot of unanswered questions. Too bad the papers don't do the whole Who, What, Why, Where, When, & How thing anymore. They just run to press with whatever they can get ahold of.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

From another article in their local paper, it sounds like the biker was leaving the scene as the father shot him once in the back:

Quote Originally Posted by Sheriff: Man killed motorcyclist who followed daughters

Published on: 02/27/08

Bogart — A man is facing a murder charge after authorities say he shot and killed a motorcyclist who followed his daughters home from a department store.

Richard Harold Gear, 45, claimed he was acting in self-defense when he shot Bryan Joseph Mough around 6:45 p.m. Monday as Mough drove his motorcycle past Gear's house, Oconee County Sheriff Scott Berry said.

• More metro and state news

The daughters, ages 17 and 19, had called their father on a cell phone to tell him they were being followed, Berry said. As they arrived home, Gear was waiting at the end of his driveway with a pistol, Berry said.

Mough, 21, drove past the house, turned around and made another pass. Gear fired his .40-caliber semiautomatic gun two or three times, hitting Mough once in the back, Berry said.

Gear called 911 after the shooting, as did neighbors, and sheriff's deputies arrested Gear on a murder charge, Berry said.

"He made an unspecified claim of self-defense," Berry said.

Mough was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Gear's daughters and Mough apparently left the parking lot of a Target in nearby Athens around the same time Monday evening, Berry said. Tempers flared as the drivers headed west toward Bogart.

Gear's daughters told investigators Mough cut them off, they made obscene gestures at him and Mough ran into their car at one point, Sheriff Berry said.

"There is evidence of a collision between Mough's motorcycle and the vehicle operated by Gear's daughters," Berry said, adding authorities do not yet know who initiated contact.

"We've got questions about how it happened," he said.

Investigators went to Target for witnesses and looked at surveillance videos but found nothing to indicate Mough met the girls inside the store or in the parking lot, Berry said.
    -Horace

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    This sounds very likely to me (though we clearly don't know the whole story at this point). The "biker rammed us" claim sounds very suspect to me.

I've had close calls on my bike, and I could see myself following a car after a hit-and-run on me, trying to get a plate number. I could also see myself spotting the armed dad, deciding the insurance wasn't worth getting shot over, and trying to get out of dodge.

Whether this is really how it went down, I guess we may never know, but the father clearly murdered the guy (shot him in the back while he was leaving) and should go away for a very long time.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

I'll bet that if the kids had offered a quick and sincere apology their dad would not be charged with murder right now. Instead, they gave him the single finger salute, further angering him. Do you think they have ANY notion that they have some responsibility for this guy's death?

I see there are a lot of other riders on this board. If you don't ride, you might not know how bad bikers have got it on the road. We get cut off all the time, an act that is tantamount to vehicular homicide. When we try to alert the drivers (on the phone, eating, doing makeup/hair, fighting with kids, or otherwise distracted) to their mistake, they often react as if we made the mistake, flipping us off or swerving at us. I don't like to get on the horn, but the way I see it, the next guy may not be so vigilant as I and he gets creamed, car continues on its merry way with no one the wiser. Cars hit bikes all the time without the car's driver even knowing, sideswipes are the most common, happened to my brother even. I can't speak to what actually happened, but that is one possibility. Guy got swiped, kids pulled off, guy tried to flag them down, kids flipped off guy, guy follows kids home, guy gets murdered. Bad day for everyone.
    I read another story last week about a guy on a bike while waiting on a red light who got hit by a truck. The truck driver ran twice, he later claimed he was afraid the rider was going to shoot him. Maybe the kids got scared since they were at fault, have no personal accountability, and "ran home to momma", or daddy in this case.
    -Horace

Dumb dumber and just plain stupid
    Jack dog

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    Well...it could be worse. His middle name could be "Lee" or "Wayne". Then you know he's just a serial killer waiting to happen.
    FiveHole
    Characteristics of serial killers:

#2: Be named "Wayne." John Wayne Gacy. Wayne Williams. Wayne Alan Ford. Patrick Wayne Kearney. Does naming your child "Wayne" increase his likelihood of becoming a serial killer? We'll soon find out, as thousands of Gretzky-inspired Canadians named Wayne are just now entering their prime killing years. The big question is which is the more dominant characteristic -- the killer inherent in Waynes, or the lack of ambition in Canadians?

And my middle name is.... you guessed it!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links