Something Jumped Up And Bit Me In The Buttocks

This is a discussion on Something Jumped Up And Bit Me In The Buttocks within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; al.com: Everything Alabama Shots to buttocks fail to stop two more break-ins A six-foot fence, three dogs, 385 pounds worth of teenage boys and three ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Something Jumped Up And Bit Me In The Buttocks

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

al.com: Everything Alabama

Shots to buttocks fail to stop two more break-ins

A six-foot fence, three dogs, 385 pounds worth of teenage boys and three gunshot wounds to the buttocks didn't stop one alleged burglar from bursting into two other homes before police detained him Thursday night.

Huntsville police were still trying to verify the suspect's identity Friday but believe he is 36-year-old Marvin Horton, police spokesman Wendell Johnson said.

Horton allegedly jumped a 6-foot chain-link fence at 2702 Ninth Ave. and dodged Brenda Glover's pit bull puppy, Rottweiler and German shepherd before forcing open her front door at about 11:15 p.m.

Glover said she went to bed early, but her two sons, 17-year-old David and 18-year-old Jerry, were up playing video games and heard the dogs bark seconds before the burglar crashed into their home.

Glover woke up and heard the man fighting with her sons, who managed to wrestle the man into a headlock. She grabbed an umbrella before entering the scuffle.

"I told him to leave, and he said, 'No I'm coming in the house,'" she said. "He still kept coming, and I told him, 'I'm going to go get my gun if you don't leave.'"

The three tried to push the man back out the front door, but he wouldn't budge, Glover said.

When the burglar didn't heed her warning, Glover retrieved her .38-caliber pistol and gave him a final chance to leave before firing a shot into his backside.

The first shot didn't register with the man, so Glover fired two more shots before he finally turned and ran back out the door. Glover's husband called police.

"What really freaked me out is when I shot him (the first time), he wouldn't leave," Glover said.

The burglar took off across the street, jumped a 4-foot fence and kicked in the door of 2703 Ninth Ave. The homeowners pushed him back out the door fairly quickly, said Glover, who watched the man flee her house.

He then ran down the street and jumped through the window of 2712 Ninth Ave., where the homeowner, 50-year-old Otis Ethridge, held the man until police arrived.

Horton struggled with officers while they handcuffed him, Johnson said.

He faces multiple charges when he's released from Huntsville Hospital, where he was taken to be treated for the gunshot wounds. Police said his injuries weren't serious.

Johnson said it's unlikely any charges will be filed against any of the homeowners who struggled with Horton, including Glover.

"Usually, if there's any question regarding self defense, our investigators present it to the district attorney's office and consult with them," he said. "I don't think that will happen, though."

Nothing was taken from the homes, all of which had fences.

Police said they weren't sure what caused Horton to allegedly break into the homes. Incident reports show that officers believe he was under the influence of drugs.

None of the Ninth Avenue residents were seriously injured, although Glover and her sons have some minor scratches, bruises and knots.

The incident wrapped up a difficult day for Glover, whose grandmother died Wednesday. But Glover said it's just another day on Ninth Avenue, where she often has had to ask homeless people to move out of her driveway when she comes home.

Glover said she bought the gun for protection, although she's never used it. Her car stereo has been stolen, and a thief snatched her husband's boots from the front porch, but she's never come face-to-face with someone determined to get in.

"I got the gun for protection when my kids were little," she said. "I always thought I would have to use it out and about, not in my own house. I never expected that."
    This guy REALLY wanted to get inside this house if he was willing to take on a Pit, a GSD, and a Rottie. Possibly his thinking was chemically altered.

Good for the homeowner, had a weapon and was willing to use to defend her self, her sons, and her property.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Drugs or no drugs, he's lucky he didn't die of lead poisoning.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

pax
    He then ran down the street and jumped through the window of 2712 Ninth Ave., where the homeowner, 50-year-old Otis Ethridge, held the man until police arrived.
    I wonder how he "held" the intruder? Suppose this homeowner was willing to aim center mass instead of at the burglar's butt?

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    I wonder how he "held" the intruder? Suppose this homeowner was willing to aim center mass instead of at the burglar's butt?

pax
    I was thinking the same thing, you shoot a guy in the buttocks? of course it did say they were struggling with him, so maybe that was the only shot she felt she could take and not endanger her relatives.
    COM shots are not always the best solution or may not be available, I think she was smart to continue to shoot until the threat stopped, or retreated,(same as stopping in my books, but just wanted to clarify that) The 50 year old held the man until police arrived but he resisted them? sounds like papa buckshot was the deterant to me, Drug induced morons who have no fear because they have no reasonable logic when they are drugged up, add to the mix he didnt realize he had been shot and you see why druggies are my biggest fear. A reasonable crook is going to be able to evaluate his odds if facing a firearm and drugged out one will probably have to be pursuaded.
    Just glad no one innocents were harmed after he took off running from the

dhm
    Note the brave actions of the husband. While mamma and the kids are fighting the intruder, the husband is...evidently looking for the phone to call the cops. Seems odd to me.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dhm View Post
    Note the brave actions of the husband. While mamma and the kids are fighting the intruder, the husband is...evidently looking for the phone to call the cops. Seems odd to me.
    Hard to say, possibly he wasn't home initially, or was on the hopper, etc.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

pax
    Southtexas ~

I wasn't so much criticizing the 1st homeowner (you do whatever you think you've gotta do) as I was wondering about the one who finally stopped him. I mean, up until that point he hadn't been deterred by fences, dogs, angry teenage boys, threats of getting shot, actually getting shot ...

So what did stop him??

The news article is annoyingly deficient on that point!

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Perhaps the last homeowner offered him a cold beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
    Perhaps the last homeowner offered him a cold beer.
    Ugh! that sounds like a waste of a perfectly good cold beer
    Never approach a Bull from the front , a Horse from the rear or a Fool from any direction!

Well I'm just trying to be the typical southern Alabama gentleman.

Provided he was a gentleman, I would always offer a guest some sweet tea (or a beer).
    Guns only come out if they are belligerent.

Memo to self: Buy +P+!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    Drugs.

more reason for using the biggest gun that you can safely shoot.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Wow. This incident brings to mind Gene Wilder's line in "Blazing Saddles", when Sheriff Bart was strapping on his six-shooters to go out and face "Mongo" - "No, no. Don't shoot him. If you shoot him, you'll only make him mad.".
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by gwhall57 View Post
    Wow. This incident brings to mind Gene Wilder's line in "Blazing Saddles", when Sheriff Bart was strapping on his six-shooters to go out and face "Mongo" - "No, no. Don't shoot him. If you shoot him, you'll only make him mad.".
    A classic.

Just another incident where an armed citizen defends their own. I know if anyone gets through my two rotts,(I've actually got them trained so one sleeps at the back door and one at the front) the .357 will be the end of it.
    Better to die quick, fighting on your feet;
    Than to live forever, begging on your knees.

Cocaine's a heck of a drug eh?
    If guns are outlawed, only outlaws would have guns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links