Very Ugly: Massacre in Memphis

This is a discussion on Very Ugly: Massacre in Memphis within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; WREG-TV Memphis - Massacre In Memphis Massacre In Memphis FAST FACTS: * Four adults and two toddlers found dead in Binghamton home * Fire officials ...

Thread: Very Ugly: Massacre in Memphis

WREG-TV Memphis - Massacre In Memphis

Massacre In Memphis

FAST FACTS:

* Four adults and two toddlers found dead in Binghamton home
    * Fire officials confirm some of them were shot
    * Three other children taken to hospital in critical condition

(Binghamton, TN 3/3/2008) While homicide detectives investigated six people found dead in a home on Lester Street, all Nicole Dotson could do was wait for answers. "It's terrible. It's terrible. I don't know what's going on. I'm scared to death. All my nieces and nephews are in there."

Four adults and two toddlers were found dead inside her brother's home. Officials with the fire department have confirmed some of the victims were shot. Family members say some victims may have been stabbed. Three other children were taken to LeBonheur in extremely critical condition.

Police haven't released the victim's names but when news of the bodies found made it's way to Dotson and her family, they collapsed in grief.

Dotson tells us her brother Cecil rents the house with his girlfriend and his five children. She says the last time she spoke to her brother was Saturday. That's part of the reason why she believes the deaths happened Sunday night.

She says her brother didn't show for work Monday and around 10 a.m. that same morning she got a call from the mother of one of Cecil's children. According to Dotson, the child's mother said no one answered the door or phone when she stopped by the home on Lester to pick up her child. "She came to get he baby last night and the cars were there and there was no answer," says Dotson. "There was no answer and the door was open."

Police will not confirm whether this is the result of a home invasion. But Memphis Police Lt. Joe Scott is asking the community to help. "This is 722 Lester just north of Summer. I know there is someone out there who has information on this. We'll take that information right now."

This is a war zone type area, lots of gang activity, prostitutes walking the streets, open drug sales, shots fired calls, etc. Not surprised that something like this would happen there. I feel for the family but just cannot imagine living anywhere near there.

Cause of death still unknown : Local News : Commercial Appeal
    Link to the morning paper's report of this story.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

I hope they get a needle when(if) they find (him,her,it)!! Shot on site would have been nice, but this is the reason we have the death penalty! Unimaginable, The animals walking among us!!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Memphis Is A bad town, and the cops shy away from gunfire. I hate just driving through on the interstate.
    Jack dog

Lead Moderator
    Welcome to Memphis.
    I want to have a job where the is no accountability,a job where I can do as I dang well please and make my own laws and act like a KING. I want to be on the Supreme Court.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Oh boy the heat of the summer is a long ways off and it is already starting, this is not good.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

additional info from the scene...

One of the first responders works with my wife. I cannot imagine going into a house to resuscitate some of the kids that were still alive to get them to the trauma unit. What was told to my wife was some unspeakable stuff. Whoever did this deserves a very slow, painful death. If the information about what was found at 722 Lester is ever released to the public, there will be riots in the streets of Memphis in front of every police station and in front of the mayor's office. They need to bulldoze that house and make that lot a park.

On a brighter note, my wife is getting the rest of her HCP paperwork done quickly.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

I've been to Memphis a few times, and the thing I noticed was that it's very spread out. A lot of ground to cover for those cops...sad, sad, sad.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

REWARD now at $81,000 for info...

...leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for the heinous, brutal, unspeakable mutilation of the victims of this crime. The Governor of Tennessee has added $50,000.00 to the reward...that has never happened in TN before.
    And the Memphis City Council has added $30,000.00 to the reward.

Apparently, Mr. Dotson was a "former" member of the Gangster Disciples. Yet, his momma has said numerous times on the news that he was a good boy that did not deserve to die.

I hope they catch the perps and do a public execution.
    Last edited by citizen510; March 6th, 2008 at 08:56 PM.

i realy hate hearing about things like this. makes me think i should be getting deployed to memphis, LA, or one other the other similar places here in the states rather than iraq, bosnia, afghanistan, etc.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

The truth is slowly coming out about this situation...

Kids survived brutal attack
    Relatives clamor for information; police revealing little except to say crime scene was 'horrific'

By Christopher Conley (Contact)
    Friday, March 7, 2008

One of the three children who survived the mass killings on Lester Street was found with a knife protruding from his head and another had two fingertips cut off, The Commercial Appeal learned Thursday.

Those details emerged on the day Gov. Phil Bredesen offered a $50,000 reward for the killers, bringing the fund to $80,000 when combined with the Memphis Crime Stoppers offer.

Police have remained tight-lipped, but the newspaper's investigation paints a picture of a crime scene the likes of which some investigators say they had never witnessed.
    Tonasha Liggins last saw her cousin, Shindri Roberson, on Saturday.

Four adults and two children were killed at 722 Lester, just north of Summer in north Binghamton. Police believe the killings occurred sometime between Saturday night and Monday night, when the bodies were discovered.

Killed were Cecil Dewayne Dotson, 30, who rented the house; his girlfriend, Marissa Rene Williams, 27; Hollis Seals, 33; and Shindri Roberson, 22.

None of the children has been officially identified. Nicole Dotson said her brother was the father of all five children -- two named Cecil Dotson, ages 9 and 2; Cedric Dotson, 5; Cemario Dotson, 4; and a 2-month old girl, also a Dotson. Nicole Dotson was uncertain about the spelling of the infant's first name.

Relatives said the police have told them little about the crime scene other than indicating it was horrific.

"I feel like my nephews and nieces were tortured and my brother was made to watch in order for him to go through it," said Nicole Dotson. "I have no idea who did it, but I feel like it's somebody who knows him and knows those kids and that's the reason why they did that -- to hurt my brother -- and they did that so the kids would not identify them."

Relatives of Roberson also believe this was not simply a matter of quick executions.

Police said there were no signs of a break-in, and there was likely more than one killer. But they remained without a clear motive or a prime suspect Thursday.

Bredesen offered the state reward at the request of Dist. Atty. Gen. Bill Gibbons and County Mayor A C Wharton.

"These were heinous acts and those responsible need to be brought to justice," said Bredesen.

"We very much appreciate the governor acting so quickly to help the Memphis police solve this horrific crime," Gibbons said in a statement. "This brutal act of violence against four adults and five children is deplorable."

The reward is authorized "to the person or persons providing information leading to the apprehension, arrest and conviction of any person responsible for the apparent murder of four adults and two children, and the apparent attempted murders of three children," according to the governor's statement.

Two of the injured children remained in critical condition at Le Bonheur Children's Medical Center, while one has improved to noncritical. The children were being kept in isolation, even from their own families, for their protection, police said.

Detectives have been able to speak with one of the children, said Lt. Joseph Scott, who would not disclose what was said.

Detectives have questioned dozens of family members about the victims, gathering information about their associates and activities.

"We've gotten a lot of tips," Scott said, "but we need more.

"There is a lot of physical evidence. ... There are hundreds of pieces of evidence," he said. "It will be slow and methodical."

The Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, which does forensic testing, has provided all assistance requested, Scott said.

Cecil Dotson, identified in jail records as a longtime Gangster Disciple, once lived at Holmes Street and Given Avenue in a house that was closed in August 2006 by Memphis police and the district attorney general's office as a public nuisance as part of the Blue Crush initiative. That day, seven homes -- part of what police called a "crack strip mall" -- were shut down.

Dotson was convicted in 1995 of aggravated assault and sentenced to four years in prison. During his stint, he and three other gang members were charged with assaulting another inmate, according to jail records.

In another development, police responded to a possible break-in of Nicole Dotson's apartment in the 2500 block of Goodwill Lane just after 10 a.m. Thursday. Although nothing was found, police returned to the apartment later in the day.

Pastor Frank Thomas of Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church has been helping counsel and comfort some of the families of victims, and said the information void -- and rumor mill -- has added stress to the families.

"I know they are living with a whole whirlwind of speculation," Thomas said. "People will call them and say this and say that or they heard this and heard that, but there are no facts."

LESTER VICTIMS FUND

An account has been set up to help pay funeral costs and aid the surviving children. Donations are being accepted at all Bank of America branches and local churches. Make out checks to Lester Street Victims Fund.

If you have information that may lead police to the killers, call 528-CASH (2274). The reward has grown to $80,000.

Some of the things done to the adults in this house will be exposed only in the trial if the perps are ever caught. Evil, heinous, unspeakable things.

No doubt it's gang or drug related!! And they say we have no need for our AR's PAY PER VIEW HANGINGS!! Gangs in this country are out of hand and growing!! How do you fix a gang problem?
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Victim's Brother arrested, 6 counts of Murder 1, 3 counts of Attempted Murder

WREG-TV Memphis - Reaction to Brother's Arrest in Lester Street Mass Murder

Reaction to Brother's Arrest in Lester Street Mass Murder

Posted: March 8, 2008 02:31 PM

FAST FACTS:

* Bodies of 4 adults and 2 toddlers discovered inside home on Lester Street
    * Victim's relatives shocked by arrest of home owner's brother
    * Neighbors find it hard to believe one person behind crimes so gruesome

MEMPHIS (03/08/2007) - News Channel 3 is the first to tell the family of Shindri Roberson about the arrest in her murder. They are shocked to hear it is the brother of one of the victim's. Jessie Dotson faces First Degree Murder charges for the death of 6 people inside a Lester Street home. Police say he killed his younger brother, Cecil and 3 other adults. He also is accused of killing his two nephews and critically injuring 2 other nephews and an infant niece.

Roberson's family can't believe Dotson's brother is behind bars for the gruesome crime.

"Destroy your own brother and his kids and whoever else is around that is not a brother. That man is possessed by a devil," said Verle Jones, Roberson's aunt.

Jones adds, "That's not a brother. He's just a cold blooded, cold hearted person."

The Memphis police command center and officers stationed outside 722 Lester Street since they discovered the bodies are gone. The news of what happened here continues to draw traffic to this normally quiet dead end street. Some of those coming by find it hard to believe a relative could be behind this mass murder.

Jacob Banks of Memphis said, "Are you serious? Man! brother (sigh) I wasn't expecting that. I'm speechless, seriously."

Neighbors who live on Lester Street are just as shocked. Many thought the crime was the work of a number of people, not just one person.

"It's just shocking to everybody. We're just trying to figure out what's going on in our neighborhood. We really don't know," said Thomas Miles.

This is still an ongoing investigation so others could be arrested, or not.

Lead Moderator
    the world continues to get crazier by the day...
    I want to have a job where the is no accountability,a job where I can do as I dang well please and make my own laws and act like a KING. I want to be on the Supreme Court.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links