Ugly: This is not Iraq.

This is a discussion on Ugly: This is not Iraq. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; LOS ANGELES A high school football star described as "a Houdini on the football field" was shot dead on Sunday in random gang violence ...

Thread: Ugly: This is not Iraq.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

LOS ANGELES A high school football star described as "a Houdini on the football field" was shot dead on Sunday in random gang violence and his mother was returning from her second tour of duty in Iraq.

Jamiel Andre Shaw, 17, was shot multiple times on a sidewalk a few yards from his home after he didn't respond when two men pulled up in a car and asked him, "Where you from?" code for which gang did he belong to, police said. He was not a gang member.

Authorities are calling the shooting a random, unprovoked gang attack.

Shaw, a standout running back at Los Angeles High School and the Southern League's most valuable player last season, was shot about 8:40 p.m. Sunday in the Crenshaw area. He died later at a local hospital.

Known to his friends as "Jazz," Shaw was heading places, said his father, Jamiel Shaw Sr.

"He was going to make something out of himself," Jamiel Sr. told MyFOXLA.com. "All he had to do was get out of high school."

His mother, Army Sgt. Anita Shaw, on Monday was on her way back from Iraq, where she has been serving her second tour of duty.

Jamiel Shaw Sr. said he called Jamiel on Sunday night, telling him to hurry home from the mall. A few moments after hanging up, Jamiel Sr. said, he heard the shots outside.

"They killed him while his mother is in Iraq fighting, dodging bullets, and she gets a phone call to say her son is on the streets of L.A., dead. For what?" Jamiel Sr. said.

Shaw's best friend, Marc Anthony Asher, witnessed the attack, telling MyFOXLA.com the men shot him in the head.

"He wasn't a gangbanger; he wasn't no thug," Asher said. "He was a regular kid."

Jamiel Sr. said his son's ultimate goal was to be a sports agent.

"I would tell him, 'I'm going to get you to 18, and if you do what you're supposed to do, you'll get to college'" the father recalled. "He was almost there."

Hardy Williams, football coach at Los Angeles High, said Jamiel was "a very special kid. Not only was he an outstanding athlete, he was a good person."

And, Williams said, he was "a Houdini on the football field."

Jamiel was an all-city first-team selection last season after he rushed for 1,052 yards, averaging more than 14 yards per carry, and scored 10 touchdowns. He also ran track.

In the past week, Williams said, Stanford and Rutgers universities contacted him about Jamiel. "He was elated," Williams recalled.

Police said they are seeking the public's help in identifying the suspects, whom officials described only as two Latino men in a white compact sedan. Investigators believe the shooting was not racially motivated. Jamiel was black.

"Unfortunately, it's not uncommon in L.A. that we have some gang members approaching victims at random just to see if they are (gang members) or not," said police Detective Frank Carillo. "But to shoot them anyway, that's just disgusting."

Jamiel Sr. implored the public for help.

"This is not Iraq; this is L.A.," he told MyFOXLA.com. "You should be able to walk down the damn street you should be able to walk the street without getting killed. Somebody's seen what happened: Somebody knows. Please help us."
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

VIP Member
    That's just sad. Gangbangers kill each other - it's bad, but that's the life they have chosen. This is simply beyond the pale...and his mother is in Iraq? The icing on the cake, to be sure.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    It'll never stop until we start declaring war on Gangbangers.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I wonder were they legal? They should be able to shoot the one's with gang tat's on site!! MS-13 is everywhere now with strong ties to central america. Very sad!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

this is, indeed, what happens when bad people operate with impunity. my heart goes out to the family, especially since they probably didn't choose to live around that area.

Somebody saw something.

They aren't going to waste that information thought.

They are going to hold onto that chit, and when they get arrested on their third strike for being a thug they will make a deal with that information.

You see, its only snitching when you aren't facing 20 years.

When you are facing a major felony and being sentenced as a persistent offender (that means you do 85% of your time before you are eligible for parole) its acceptable, even cool, to talk to the detectives on the cold case unit.

If they police want to solve this murder, start busting every low life, thug, gang member and vagrant on the street and charge them with as much federal time as possible...then let it be known that the first one who sings about the murder gets "consideration" in sentencing.

This is a very sad and heartless thing. For a young man to be slain like this should be viewed for what it truly is...an "ACT OF DOMESTIC TERRORISM". You see as a correction officer i have the "not so" pleasure of meeting the dreds of our society. And time and time again I realize that the prison system is not working. My heart and prayers goes out to the family of that young man..may god keep you in his grace
    The words can't and impossible are honey only to lips of losers. "Keith Matt(Me)"

Ruger KP95
    Glock 22/ PT145/ Pardner Pump Tactical/ Century AK-74

Investigators believe the shooting was not racially motivated. Jamiel was black.
    They can believe what they want, but I beg to differ.
    Yes, the world has gotten smaller, but it will always be too big to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Know what I hate more than anything... the fact that its ''cool'' to be a gangster. It's somehow hip to be disrespectful and uncurtious to people, and to talk in a manner that is nearly impossible to hear/understand. Its the norm to dislike, no, to hate people who arn't in your "clique". Its fashionable to wear expensive shorts down below your butt, untie your sneakers, and tip your hat to the side. Its "fly" to wear the "dopest" cloths in the largest size avaliable, but what really bothers me about all of it is the people who are doing this are immitating the most violent criminals in the world. Get a clue people.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

No, it's not Iraq... it's America... the Greatest Country in the World. Even here there are are well over a 1000 acts of violence that occur EVERYDAY. Not everyone that gets shot is a jock or the son of a soldier, which is the only thing that makes this newsworthy. Sorry if this is crass, but this is why we all carry.

Next
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

We need a good old fashion round up!

On a certain day/week the good poeple of this here U...S... of A needs to load up and march through these cities and take them back!

Dispatch (fancy word for rub-out) all these pin heads!

It would be a revolution of the good people of the USA against the low lifes.
    It is like a cancer that needs to be CUT out!

R

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    It'll never stop until we start declaring war on Gangbangers.
    +1. It's the only way. Nothing else will work.
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

Gangmembership=death in my book..but the USA is too full of Eloi's (pansy people)..we have lost our country!

Links