Poor Victim Selection

This is a discussion on Poor Victim Selection within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; toledoblade.com -- 2 killed in central Toledo in less than 24 hours On Sunday, Victor Wiggins, 22, of 2433 Glenwood Ave., was shot in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poor Victim Selection

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Poor Victim Selection

toledoblade.com -- 2 killed in central Toledo in less than 24 hours

On Sunday, Victor Wiggins, 22, of 2433 Glenwood Ave., was shot in the chest by a man he was attempting to rob, police said.

Wiggins was shot about 9:35 p.m. Sunday in the 1000 block of Norwood Avenue near Waite Avenue, police said.

Rahmaad Jones, 21, who lives in the 700 block of Moore Street, was sitting in a 1987 custom-painted red Oldsmobile on Norwood when three males approached on foot and pointed a gun at him, police said.

Mr. Jones, who has a permit to carry a concealed weapon, had a 40-caliber pistol tucked in his waistband.

Multiple shots were exchanged, and Wiggins was shot once in the chest. Mr. Jonesí driverís side window was shot out and there were bullet holes in the windshield, police said.

When police arrived, Wiggins was lying face down in the street in front of 1017 Norwood Ave. A 40-caliber pistol was found underneath him.

Wiggins was pronounced dead in St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center about 15 minutes after he arrived.

Wiggins died from a single gunshot wound to the left side of his chest, which caused "devastating damage to his heart and lungs," said Dr. Diane Barnett, a Lucas County deputy coroner.

The bullet traveled through a pulmonary artery in his heart and through both lungs, Dr. Barnett said.

Mr. Jones initially fled the scene to get away from the suspects, but later approached police and admitted to shooting Wiggins, police said.

According to a report, Mr. Jones said the suspects walked up to him, pointed a gun at his face, and he began shooting.

"They were trying to rob me. I got my gun and started shooting," Mr. Jones told police.

Toledo police Capt. Ray Carroll said it appears Mr. Jones acted in self-defense. No charges had been filed against him as of last night.

Captain Carroll said the case could be presented to a Lucas County grand jury pending a recommendation from the county prosecutorís office. He said the investigation is ongoing.
    I can't say that I blame Mr. Jones for initially leaving the scene, especially since Wiggins was not acting alone. Glad to see that he presented himself to the police and admitted his role in the homicide.

Good for him.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

very good outcome.

AMH
    I can understand leaving the scene. Who knows if these guys have buddies near by that may come and seek revenge. He did the right thing by going to the police after leaving the scene.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

I guess they're plans for a hot night on the town didn't end the way they thought

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Glad to see that he presented himself to the police and admitted his role in the homicide.
    More of an "assisted suicide," methinks.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Mr. Jones' preparation, awareness, quick access to his gun, and excellent shot placement saved his life.

If any one of these steps had been missing, he likely wouldn't have survived.

Perhaps this losers friends will consider another career path besides armed robbery.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Lowlife dead, good guy alive and not prosecuted. Hopefully, that will stay the case.

Good day.

-JT

Good job Mr. Jones I would have left aswell and been dialing 911 once at a "safe" distance from the incident
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

I hate that Bg's hve moved up to .40 , I miss the days when they all had .25 and .380 a 9mm every once in awhile. Do you think they have been looking up ballistic tests. At least they still can't shoot!
    Another happy ending.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

VIP Member

Bad coverage

Someone who lives in the Toledo area should send a LTE.

Combines two stories -- a clear self defense shooting and a bad shooting in the same story this way is just another atempt to sway public opinion against guns.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Cloud View Post
    Perhaps this losers friends will consider another career path besides armed robbery.
    Hopefully, Ohio will handle his accomplices like Florida - charge them both with felony murder in the death of their co-conspirator.

They can ponder their career options after a decade or two in prison....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Hopefully, Ohio will handle his accomplices like Florida - charge them both with felony murder in the death of their co-conspirator.

They can ponder their career options after a decade or two in prison....

Matt
    Good for Florida !

Which bring up another veto.

2 death penalty bills get vetoed - Roanoke.com

BTW -- Notice how the Anti paper also linked these bills dealing with criminals to the veto of bills dealing with CHPs and carry by law-abiding citizens.

"Tim Kaine vetoed a pair of bills Wednesday to broaden the death penalty by eliminating the state's "triggerman rule," even as the Virginia Senate voted to uphold his vetoes of two bills to expand the right to carry concealed guns in cars and restaurants."

BTW2 -- This is the same paper set up an interactive database of the names & addresses of CHP holders -- then justified themselves by equating CHP holders to sex offenders. They claimed that the public has the need/right to know who has guns. The sheep want the know who the sheepdogs are, so their kid's don't visit a home where there might be a gun.

I tried to get a LTE asking what sort of visit the were talking about. An uninvited-midnight visit by their teenager?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    what a great story and a great title...Poor Victim Selection. I love it.

Only fault was it would have been good to call 911 right after the shooting. Its hard to tell how much time passed before he "turned himself into the police", but in general its better to call 911 ASAP and be treated like the victim.

Nice shooting though. Practice makes perfect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links