For Some Things There is No Defense.

This is a discussion on For Some Things There is No Defense. within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; PHOENIX — A Mesa teenager says he fatally shot his father last month because he wouldn't let him use the Internet, police reports show. According ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For Some Things There is No Defense.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

For Some Things There is No Defense.

PHOENIX — A Mesa teenager says he fatally shot his father last month because he wouldn't let him use the Internet, police reports show.

According to a Mesa police report released Wednesday, 15-year-old Hughstan Schlicker told a homicide detective that he considered committing suicide in front of his father after finding a 12-gauge shotgun and ammunition in the garage of their home, but decided to murder his father instead and then commit suicide.

Hughstan apparently surprised 49-year-old Ted Schlicker, who was standing in the kitchen when the boy approached him from behind, the police report said.

Police arrested Hughstan after the slaying at the Pueblo Seco Condominiums and accused him of first-degree murder.

After the slaying, "the defendant first called his friend and told her what he had done. He told her he was going to kill himself but she told him not to. She convinced him to call the police and deal with the situation," the report said.

Hughstan told detectives that he used the Internet to communicate with his friends and since his father took the Internet away, he was "just so depressed all the time," the report said. Specifically, Hughstan said he hated his father because he was restricting his use of the MySpace Web site, MyFOXPhoenix reports.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

2. Remove Ads

All that over access to a Myspace page? Something had to be very very wrong with that kid and in that household.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    It's the gimme, gimme gotta have it now generation. There is no patience for ANYTHING. Very sad.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

AMH
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    It's the gimme, gimme gotta have it now generation. There is no patience for ANYTHING. Very sad.
    +1

There is something wrong with today’s youth.
    I blame the 60's and 70's and the liberal ideology that is permeating modern society.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Well when you have parents giving their kids cell phones with unrestricted use, computers in their bedrooms, and anything else they want at ages as early as 8 years old, they start expecting to have all of these things. Take them away and you are the most evil person in the world in their eyes.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Disagreed, there is a defense against this kind of scenario.

Don't leave firearms and ammunition lying around in ones garage (!!!) amongst other duh type places unsecured where stupid/ignorant, mentally challenged, crazy, and/or criminal thinking persons including your own _children_ who are known widely to be emotional might gain access to and take hold of as much to use against you, your family, their friends, or themselves.

How many cases like this has to occur before people and parents get the a clue?!
    Stop leaving firearms and ammunition laying around the house for anyone and your 'depressed' son to put finger to!!!

Jeebus this is exactly how most of the kids at K-12 schools are getting their guns to do crimes and shoot up their schools.
    This is very easy to defend against. It's called use some common sense.

- Janq

P.S. - Had this guys home been broken into by a burglar his shotgun and ammo would be stolen and later sold and/or used on the street toward crime against some other person/secondary victim who would have suffered because the primary owner/victim was too stupid/lazy/uncaring to properly and smartly store their firearms and ammunition! I would be pissed if me or mine got shot by some other persons gun acquired/stolen with ease as it was not properly secured and stored.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Well, it's hard to argue with Janq here......

But then again, we fall back on the logic we use with the Anti's. Had the kid not had a gun might he have used a sledgehammer or a knife from the same garage?

Two things here:

1 - There is something wrong in that house and in the end the parents are responsible for the care and control of their children. Heck, less than 10 years ago I graduated from high school and killing my parents, other than driving them crazy to a point where they died of a heart attack, never crossed my mine.

2 - Janq is right, we have a responsibility to keep our guns away from those who may do harm with them and this includes our own children. Obviously this was not done.

I guess I just can't quite go to the point where I am comfortable saying that had Dad locked the shotgun up, that one of the two people involved would not have died.

Sad situation.....
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

I used to get punished all the time as a kid (granted looking back i deserved it) and I never once thought about accually harming my parents.
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

I blame Myspace!

It's their fault. Somebody should sue them. Tighter gun control!

Sorry, it's not a funny situation, but doesn't this tell us what our kids think? I am not saying it's the solution to anything, but they don't get spanked, they get cell phones, cars, outrageous video games, hi-tech computers and unlimited information. Society is changing.

What do you want to bet the mother turns to the Brady camp??
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Actually the start of this thread " For some things there is no defense" I was thinking about the kid coming up from behind the father with a shotgun. During my LEO training I was shown several times if someone really is out to get you........they can get you.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Got ya Reborn.

In that light ones defense is situational awareness and avoidance.
    Avoid leaving ones firearms and ammunition lying around the house unsecured muchless in the garage which is nothing more than a big shed for most homeowners and is the least secure zone of their property. With that avoidance also comes situational awareness and that is being aware of the situation that one has a child/minor in the house.

BEF it's not about being "anti" or anything as it's more so being safe, sensible, and secure within ones situation.
    Clearly had the boy not had a mental issue and made the conscious choice to hatch this crazy plan muchless follow through on it then yes dad would still be alive. It though cannot be ignored that dad plainly did not follow common modern day sense and sensibleness. I bet he'd thought ehh that'll never happen to me...my boy knows better than to go and do something stupid with my guns (like shoot up a school, or himself, or murder his parent).
    Further he wasn't thinking too much about other very real potential misuse such as again theft and subsequent use in some other crime aside from his son murdering him.

We as gun owners have basic responsibilities that are part and parcel to firearms ownership. Most of know by heart the first four rules of firearms, but those are just the first four and do not represent all of them...

# Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
    Many factors must be considered when deciding where and how to store guns. A person's particular situation will be a major part of the consideration. Dozens of gun storage devices, as well as locking devices that attach directly to the gun, are available. However, mechanical locking devices, like the mechanical safeties built into guns, can fail and should not be used as a substitute for safe gun handling and the observance of all gun safety rules.

# Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.

Source - NRA Gun Safety Rules
    This and these rules are relevant to more than just ones self singular.
    It is relevant to everyone in ones own singular world be they residents or guests in our home, our neighbors, and yes even criminals who do with regularity at large break into our homes and businesses too.

Lesson to be learned:
    Safely and properly secure your weapons and ammunition.
    Doing so may save your family from hardship and heartache, and possibly even the life of you and yours.

In this case the end result is that dad/husband/son/neighbor/friend/coworker/human being is dead murdered with his own gun & ammo and his son he's dead too, because bottom line dad and son both made poor and very much regrettable choices.

- Janq hopes to never read of this story occurring ever again muchless to a DC.com member
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I agree it can be avoidable, but I'm also of the opinion that you can secure your guns and ammo so that houdini can't get to them and it wouldn't make a bit of difference to the one person that has made the decision to take a life at any cost.

With small children who may or may not know any better and could possibly end up ND'ing themselves or someone else, yes, safe storage methods are reasonable and in most cases a necessary evil, but once they've reached an age of understanding and can make reasonable and logical...or even absolutely illogical decisions on their own, safe storage methods are nothing but a stop gap against time at best.

Many of us here were exposed to weapons of some form or fashion growing up. I had my own pocket knife collection starting all the way back to the first grade. I was exposed and had access to knives, guns, multitudes of blunt force objects etc... and even with that said, I still never managed to shoot, stab, or bludeon my parents to death. It doesn't matter if they have access to any weapons or not. Once a person has made a concious decision to kill, they'll do whatever they have to do to make it happen, whether it be with a traditional weapon, or running them down with the family car, or pushing them off the roof while attaching christmas lights. People are SCREWED up. Hiding your guns won't fix it.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

The shotgun wasn't the problem.

Having a shotgun in the home wasn't the problem, having the shotgun unsecured wasn't the problem, either. Raising a kid that has no contact with the real world, has an instant gratification mentality and has no concept of the value and meaning of life was the problem.

Unfortunately, the father paid for this mistake with his life. The kid will do a fwe years, then be loosed on the rest of society again with the same problems. A couple decades from now, somebody else will be in the same predicament as the father was, I hope it turns out differently.

Whatever happened with the running away from home to teach you a lesson concept.Ihope he realizes they don't get myspace in prison ....or do they

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Doesn't appear to be much love there...I suspect it goes much deaper than MySpace. The internet was what broke the camel's back...

I disagree with the shotgun unsecure issue...he could of used many instruments of harm...the shotgun was just one...

Rick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links