Mass. Man Unknowingly Opens Door To Wanted Fugitive

This is a discussion on Mass. Man Unknowingly Opens Door To Wanted Fugitive within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; SouthCoastToday.com: Rochester resident held purse-snatching suspect at gunpoint ROCHESTER Brad Correia had just returned to his home on Mattapoisett Road from a trip to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mass. Man Unknowingly Opens Door To Wanted Fugitive

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

SouthCoastToday.com: Rochester resident held purse-snatching suspect at gunpoint

ROCHESTER Brad Correia had just returned to his home on Mattapoisett Road from a trip to the White Mountains with his wife and two children about 10:30 p.m. Sunday when they heard a knock at the front door.

Mr. Correia, 45, was tucking his 7-year-old son and 8-year-old daughter into bed. His wife went downstairs to see who was at the door and found a young man standing outside asking for help. Before opening the door, she summoned her husband.

"Before I went downstairs, I tucked my .45 into the back of my pants," Mr. Correia said.

Mr. Correia opened the door and Steven Grover, 18, of New Bedford, reported that his car had broken down on the interstate.

Since the family had just driven home from out of state, they had no way of knowing that a manhunt for three suspects in a purse-snatching was in progress.

"I could see that he was in pretty rough shape," Mr. Correia said of the unexpected visitor. "His clothes were soaked, he was bleeding and he'd lost one sneaker in the mud when he broke through the ice. I thought that if he were my son, I'd want someone to help him, so I let him in."

Mr. Correia permitted the fugitive to use the house phone while providing him with hot tea, dry clothes and hot water to soak his chilled feet.

"He made some calls, but he couldn't get anyone to come and get him," Mr. Correia said. "He wanted to call a cab, but he had no money, so I said I would pay."

By then, however, Mr. Correia had grown suspicious of his visitor because his story kept changing as it went along, he said.

"It just didn't add up, so I called 911 and asked them if they were looking for anyone."

Based on the description provided by the police, Mr. Correia realized that his guest was a wanted man.

"When it dawned on him that I was talking to the police, he jumped out of his chair. That's when I pulled my gun. I told him to sit back down, that the police were on their way, and he did."

"I've had my permit since I was 18, and that's the first time I've ever pointed a gun at another human being. I hope I never have to do it again. I tried to be a nice guy, but he had nothing to lose at that point. He knew he was going to jail."

Minutes later, eight cruisers and about a dozen police officers arrived on the scene.

"He was OK with me but became combative with the police, which was weird," Mr. Correia said.

Asked what he might have done had the suspect lunged at him instead of sitting back down he said: "That would have been the tough part. But by then I was just protecting my family. This guy needed to be in jail."

Rochester Police Chief Paul Magee said that he was relieved that the situation had been brought under control without a more serious incident.

"In this case, the man acted in what he thought was the best interest of his family," the chief said. "I commend the man for his actions. He did what he needed to do, and I am glad it worked out well and nobody got hurt."
    Good thinking on the part of the wife to call her husband before opening the door, and on the part of the husband in grabbing a weapon before opening the door to a stranger.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

VIP Member
    Brad

Need more "Why you need stories" in the Press.

Press
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Agreed . . . but he was a fool to open the door to a stranger at 10:30PM!

Calling the police to help him would have been the first and only thing I would have done . . . while he was standing outside my door. I-195 is a good 2-3 miles from Rochester, MA . . . and I'm never letting any unknown strangers in my home . . . the risk to me and my Family are just too great!

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    I have to agree with Len. I will call help for you, but I won't let you in my house, especially late at night.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Jeez...........in MA I thought being so anti-self defense they didn't have BG's!

Glad it turned out OK, but that wasn't using the old noggin very well.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

I think he did everything right in this situation. Sounds like he was just being a nice person and letting him in. Unknowingly of what his intent was.
    "Dont be afraid to go after what you want to do, and what you want to be. But don't be afraid to be willing to pay the price." - Lane Frost

Quote Originally Posted by afeazell21 View Post
    I think he did everything right in this situation.
    Yes, nice. Smart, no. Make his calls for him, but keep him outside!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Cordless phone, and coffee on the porch, with my bulldog going crazy on the other side of the door! Glad it worked out for him!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by afeazell21 View Post
    I think he did everything right in this situation. Sounds like he was just being a nice person and letting him in. Unknowingly of what his intent was.
    I agree. I wouldn't have let the kid freeze on the front porch, either. I do carry at home, though, and I wouldn't turn my back on a stranger in my home for a second.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

I would not open my door to a stranger at 10:00 at night! I would call the local police and ask them to send a squad car to help the poor fellow out. No need to take a chance!

Safe and sane shooting everyone,

johnstuf

Quote Originally Posted by packin45 View Post
    I agree. I wouldn't have let the kid freeze on the front porch, either.
    Me neither, I'm nuts too. Our doorbell rings and we're going to answer it. I'll be armed, but the door's probably gonna get opened. In this case, I prob would have let him inside and kept him completely segregated from the rest of the family. Not necessarily the most tactically sound thing to do, but........

VIP Member

Echos from the past

Quote Originally Posted by packin45 View Post
    I wouldn't have let the kid freeze on the front porch, either. I do carry at home, though, and I wouldn't turn my back on a stranger in my home for a second.
    I've been thinking about this thread for couple of days now.

I suspect that the story and our reaction is a reflection on something -- but I am not sure exactly what.

The following is posted with pre-offered apologies to any Campbell members of this forum.

But what keeps running though my mind is the Massacre at Glencoe in 1692. [I'm an old fart, but no I'm not that old.]

Thirty-seven MacDonalds from the Clan MacDonald of Glencoe were killed by the guests who had accepted their hospitality. Another forty women and children died of exposure after their homes were burned.

Many see this incident as a sign of the end (or key element in end of) the tradition of Highland Hospitality or Sanctity of a Highlander's Word.

In any case the Ballad of Glencoe keeps running though my mind.

Ballad of Glencoe

Glencoe - Myth & Reality
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

I would not let that person (man or 'boy') into my home, period.

And I've had a similar scenario occur to me at my own door step last summer only the time was after 1AM and the person was a very drunk college aged young man who was in town partying with friends and got left behind by those same friends and didn't know the town or how to get back to his hotel. He had no cell phone on him.

In this guys case I would not allow him into my home.
    He could be drenched in blood with his skull busted open, he's not coming into my home.

I'd direct this person to our local PD or FD which is a short walk further up/down the road.
    If that is not possible then he at best can sit on my front porch/stoop and wait as I go back into my home and call the po-po to have them come offer him aid and assistance, which he should have zero problem with per his initial cover story of woe and help me request. He is not coming into my home though, where my family and children are secure. This is a no brainer.

Soon as this guy invited a complete and sketchy stranger from the_night_ to enter his home, that is when he made a major tactical and bad reasoning mistake. His wife's instinct was better than his own. Next time he should let her answer the door and make the call toward what not to do.
    It's a good thing for him, them, and their kids that the BG was not armed as BGs and crazy people these days tend to be.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I would not let that person (man or 'boy') into my home, period.

And I've had a similar scenario occur to me at my own door step last summer only the time was after 1AM and the person was a very drunk college aged young man who was in town partying with friends and got left behind by those same friends and didn't know the town or how to get back to his hotel. He had no cell phone on him.

In this guys case I would not allow him into my home.
    He could be drenched in blood with his skull busted open, he's not coming into my home.

I'd direct this person to our local PD or FD which is a short walk further up/down the road.
    If that is not possible then he at best can sit on my front porch/stoop and wait as I go back into my home and call the po-po to have them come offer him aid and assistance, which he should have zero problem with per his initial cover story of woe and help me request. He is not coming into my home though, where my family and children are secure. This is a no brainer.

Soon as this guy invited a complete and sketchy stranger from the_night_ to enter his home, that is when he made a major tactical and bad reasoning mistake. His wife's instinct was better than his own. Next time he should let her answer the door and make the call toward what not to do.
    It's a good thing for him, them, and their kids that the BG was not armed as BGs and crazy people these days tend to be.

- Janq
    But your situation happened during the summer, and involved a drunk. If some drunken idiot shows up at my place in the middle of the night. doesn't look to be in immediate physical danger, and it were warm outside, he's getting a cab called and nothing more.
    This was during the winter in NY, the kid was in obvious distress, completely soaked, bleeding, and only had one shoe. I don't believe for a minute that most of us would've just let him sit outside and freeze (especially not someone who's been through some bitter-cold rural Minnesota winters). I'd assess the situation, and if I didn't think there were a few of his buddies waiting around the corner to rob me, I'd let him in to warm up while I called him a cab, and maybe fix him something hot to drink. But the second he starts acting goofy or I start thinking something's up, he's got my .45 stuck in his face.
    One of the things that differentiates us from the dreaded "dirtbag" we spend so much time discussing is our sense of wrong and right, and leaving a bleeding, soaked 18 year old kid outside to freeze like that is not my idea of the right thing to do.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

I don't open my door unless your invited.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links