Augusta Homeowner Refused To Be Robbed

This is a discussion on Augusta Homeowner Refused To Be Robbed within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Only On NBC Augusta: Homeowner Refused To Be Robbed | Breaking News, Weather, Sports and Entertainment for Georgia and South Carolina | Top Stories ] ...

Thread: Augusta Homeowner Refused To Be Robbed

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Augusta Homeowner Refused To Be Robbed

Only On NBC Augusta: Homeowner Refused To Be Robbed | Breaking News, Weather, Sports and Entertainment for Georgia and South Carolina | Top Stories

]One Augusta homeowner refused to be robbed. And now he's talking about his encounter with a burglar. At least eight homes, in the Olde Town neighborhood have recently been broken into.

"He was in the house. Made it down the hallway into another room," said Tim Asmann, victim.

A surprise Asmann was not expecting at his Olde Town home Thursday afternoon. Asmann says someone knocked on his door several times, but when he didn't answer, the intruder broke into his house through a window in the back.

"I knew what he was there for. Trying to do something looking for something trying to steal something," said Asmann.

So, Asmann says he was ready and waiting.

"It was quick. Shoot or not shoot. I chose not to shoot. He didn't know that was coming at all. He thought the house was completely empty and he would walk through and get what he wanted," said Asmann.

But when the would-be burglar saw Asmann's gun he took off...empty handed. And he didn't get far.

"He pretty much cased out the residents. Unfortunately, he didn't do a good job because the owner was home which helped us make an arrest and end his career in Olde town quickly," said Lt. Tony Walden, Richmond County Sheriff's Office.

Richmond County deputies arrested a 16-year-old boy. They say he is responsible for at least four break-ins in Olde Town since Valentine's Day.

Police reports show the teen stole Jewelry, laptops, cell phones, and guns. Investigators say he even used a credit card stolen from one of the homes to buy several hundred dollars worth of clothing and shoes online.

Because of this crime spree, there are now more deputies patrolling the neighborhood, including the crime suppression team.

"We pay attention to those things, Pay attention to where the burglaries are happening and try to put to stop to it," said Lt. Walden.

"Crime doesn't discriminate. It's going on in everyone's neighborhood, you have to keep your doors and windows locked and make sure you exterior light works," said Asmann.

A reminder from law enforcement to do your part and they'll do theirs.

Investigators also charged two others in connection with this crime spree. NBC Augusta was the only station there when deputies made the arrests. Two people are charged with felony and misdemeanor theft for receiving stolen property.
    A 16 y/o boy steals a credit card and uses it to buy shoes???? What is the world coming to?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

I never saw in the story whether ha actually shot or not. Good ending either way.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Quote: "helped us make an arrest and end his career in Olde town quickly"

Really? A 16 year old is going to be put away for life? Whats the recidivism rate for teens? What sort of punishments are in place to try and break the cycle?

I applaud the homeowner for their restraint and I'm glad the police were able to catch the crook but If they think they've just ended a crooks career, well, I think statistics would show otherwise.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

They just put the career on hold for a couple of years, while he attends a 24/7 educational facility.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    They say he is responsible for at least four break-ins in Olde Town since Valentine's Day.
    Here is a quick lesson in bad guy economics: you break into a house, steal some stuff. It went well so you do it to another house. It went even better! No one is home? Try a third house? Great! score some jewels, laptops, cell phones, and guns. No one seems to be bothering you, why not keep going? House #4, ring the bell, no one home, enter through back window...

get shot at!

Now you are scared out of your mind. You thought gun control was there to protect you. Lean quickly that being a bad guy might cost your life. Get arrested and go to prison.

Now if homeowner #1 would have shot at this kid, he would have learned his lesson far quicker and the world would be a better place. You do everyone a service (even the sheep) by owning and responsibly using a gun.

edit: i more carefully read the story- homeowner only showed his gun, did not shoot. Had a strong effect though!
    Last edited by nutz4utwo; March 9th, 2008 at 05:39 PM.

That article sure has a lot of bad grammar to have been written by professional reporters.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    That article sure has a lot of bad grammar to have been written by professional reporters.
    Since when does a reporter have to be a professional.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

This arrest didn't end anyone's career...just put it on hold for a few weeks and gave him some bragging rights...

Had this thug been shot in the first house, THEN his career could have placed on permanent hold.

Of course...OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    The homeowner actually did NOT fire his weapon. The kid bolted at the site of it.

Good outcome for the homeowner anyway.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Important question: Who can say the homeowners name out loud without at least snickering??

Hehe not I.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

In fact, I would wager that he could have frightened the BG away by simply screaming down the hall; "This is Mr. Asmann's house, Im goin to get you!!"

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    Journalism grammar is always terrible. They take perfectly clear writing and screw it up for print. There must be some evil newspaper school that teaches it.

I think they do it to send secrete coded messages to the Communists!
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Thanks for sharing the story.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I would have had a hard time resisting the urge to give him a good butt stroke in the face from my Super Nova...that is one lucky kid.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Links