Gunman robs pair in food court at the Palm Beach Mall

This is a discussion on Gunman robs pair in food court at the Palm Beach Mall within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Gunman robs pair in food court at the Palm Beach Mall By ALLYSON BIRD Palm Beach Post Staff Writer Thursday, March 13, 2008 WEST PALM ...

Thread: Gunman robs pair in food court at the Palm Beach Mall

By ALLYSON BIRD

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Thursday, March 13, 2008

WEST PALM BEACH As a couple sat down to eat at Palm Beach Mall's Food Court Tuesday evening, a stranger pointed a gun at them demanding their money and jewelry, according to a police report.

The man took 21-year-old Alexandro Mendez's thick gold chain with a big, diamond-encrusted money sign, off Mendez's neck. Then he took 19-year-old Lidia Lewis' purse and fled, according to Lewis.

Lewis said she initially spotted the robber and another man in front of the Chinese food counter, trying to haggle for more meat. Mendez told her, "They're watching us."

"We had on all our jewelry," she remembers. And Lewis said she had $700 in cash in her purse.

She said one of the two men disappeared before the armed man approached their table around 6 p.m. and trained his gun on Mendez's head.

A police report names no witnesses. Though the alleged attack happened in front of All American Hero, owner Dishad Ali said she didn't see the incident. She said a customer later told her what happened.

That customer, named Candice , was sitting with her two sons near Mendez and Lewis when they were robbed. She said the gunman came into the food court alone, thumbing through a wad of cash. She never saw a second man.

Her son Dylan watched the man eyeing his mother and then watched him take out the weapon.

"Do not turn around," he told his mother. "He's got a gun."

Mall spokeswoman Lydia Gilmore called the incident "highly unusual" in a written statement e-mailed through the mall's parent company.

"We have complete confidence in the comprehensive security program at Palm Beach Mall and believe it is a very safe place to shop," the statement said.
    2 blocks from my son's home. It is not a safe place, regardless of the statement of the mall's parent company. I can't remember if it is a "Gun-Free/Target Rich Environment" Zone.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

It doesn't sound like "a very safe place to shop" to me!

"We have complete confidence in the comprehensive security program at Palm Beach Mall and believe it is a very safe place to shop," the statement said.
    I'm glad they do,I'm sure the guy that got robbed doesn't feel the same way.Also why ae you wearing jewelry that says rob me all over it,people get klled over tennis shoes,why put yourself in some perps cross hairs by wearing an expensive necklace.

It is safe for the executives who are locked away in their secure offices. Everybody else in on their own in the criminal protection zone.
    One should never confuse good fortune with good training.
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum.
    In God we trust.

Am I the only one who thinks it's a little odd for a 19 year-old to have $700 in cash on her person? Am I that out of touch? I make a good buck but I can't remember the last time I had more than $200 on me.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

It doesn't mention it in the story but Lydia Gillmore must live nearby in LaLaLand.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Anymore...no place is safe, not even in a mall food court. This is not common?...yeah, right. It's not that a robbery in a 'food court' is common, but the dirtbags pulling this crap are ALL OVER the malls.

Stay armed...be cognizant of your surroundings...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks it's a little odd for a 19 year-old to have $700 in cash on her person? Am I that out of touch? I make a good buck but I can't remember the last time I had more than $200 on me.
    I see it alot with illegals,
    But since I have a lot of illegals in my store I have come to realize that because they dont trust banks they will carry tons of cash. (same with drug dealers) Very often the male will have about $20 on him, and momma will have the motherload on her, Because they feel most people wont rob a woman.
    It amazes me how carefree some people are about flashing Rob me signs I know its wrong to blame the victim, its not their fault someone knew they had all that alleged cash on them, maybe other goods that were worth stealing as well.

Clue: If you see a guy haggling for more meat at the food court DONT FLASH YOUR $700 wad o cash to buy your $12 meal. Now if he was haggling for more soda it would be ok to flash that roll of cash, cause we all know soda hagglers dont rob people just meat hagglers do.

Something sound wrong to you about the guy walking through the food court thumbing a wad of cash? Before robbing the couple?
    I think they had just sold something to the couple and then decided the money was not right, Decided to get the thug discount on a drug deal.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post

The same thing popped into my head when i read it..
    "It is better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a sheep."
    - Italian proverb

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Can anyone say" Please rob me"? This whole story kind of stinks. I'm not sure this is the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

On the other hand, my daughter is a server, and on a good weekend will often have between $300 & $500 on her (in spite of my warnings).

Some just don't get it.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

simple..stay out of the malls
    "Brains before Bullets"

VIP Member
    The man took 21-year-old Alexandro Mendez's thick gold chain with a big, diamond-encrusted money sign, off Mendez's neck. Then he took 19-year-old Lidia Lewis' purse and fled, according to Lewis.
    "We had on all our jewelry," she remembers. And Lewis said she had $700 in cash in her purse.

Sounds a little fishy to me. "Gold plated money sign with glass encrusted in it". She had $700 in her purse.
    Maybe a pimp getting robbed? Call me skeptical but something isn't right with this picture!!

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post

Sounds a little fishy to me. "Gold plated money sign with glass encrusted in it". She had $700 in her purse.
    Maybe a pimp getting robbed? Call me skeptical but something isn't right with this picture!!
    No offense intended, but we need to be a bit more careful about what we write about other people on a public forum, partcularly named victims of crimes. You may well be correct, but, if not, you have just commited libel against Mendez. Just a cautionary suggestion.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Links