Criminal Charges????

Criminal Charges????

This is a discussion on Criminal Charges???? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; North Richland Hills homeowner shoots intruder 8:41 AM CT 09:39 AM CDT on Friday, March 14, 2008 By ANDREW McLEMORE / The Dallas Morning News ...

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar

Criminal Charges????

North Richland Hills homeowner shoots intruder 8:41 AM CT
    09:39 AM CDT on Friday, March 14, 2008
    By ANDREW McLEMORE / The Dallas Morning News
    A homeowner shot an intruder early Friday morning, and North Richland Hills police were investigating whether criminal charges would be filed.
    7900 block of Laura Street in North Richland Hills
    The incident occurred about 12:30 a.m. in the 7900 block of Laura Street, said North Richland Hills police Sgt. Greg Trickey.
    The 30-year-old homeowner heard some noises outside and confronted the person in his backyard. The homeowner told the suspect to stay put, but the man advanced, police said. The 27-year-old intruder was shot in the shoulder and taken to John Peter Smith Hospital, Sgt. Trickey said.
    A decision on whether criminal charges would be filed was expected later today.

Is there something wrong with that last sentence or am I just crazy.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Sounds like a liberal media putting a liberal spin on the story. It's Texas and as far as I remember (please correct me if I am wrong) you can use deadly force at night against a criminal trespasser, not to mention one that is advancing on you.

Maybe more to the story that we aren't being told too?
    Why do you own a fire extinguisher when you have the fire department to protect you?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Shouldn't be anything wrong with it. There was a shooting. The local DA gets to decide whether he is going to try to indict or not. That the decision is expected out the same day makes it seem that it will be the merely pro forma thing that it should be.

If they decide to file charges, then something is wrong!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Apparently the police have not heard the news about the Castle Doctrine in Texas yet. This is a no-brainer.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

This happened today if I read the story right. A decision of whether to bring Criminal Charges or not is ALWAYS pending the outcome of the investigation. I wouldn't read too much into it. If criminal charges are brought against the homeowner then it is time to worry. Simply saying a decision about criminal charges is pending is really not a big deal, it is standard operating procedure.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

Links