Utah home invasion

This is a discussion on Utah home invasion within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; South Salt Lake couple wake-up to an intruder in their home SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - A frightening situation for a South Salt ...

Thread: Utah home invasion

Utah home invasion

South Salt Lake couple wake-up to an intruder in their home

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - A frightening situation for a South Salt Lake family when they wake-up to find an intruder inside their apartment.

It happened around 5:00 am Saturday at the Mountain Shadows apartments. Police say the man crashed through the front door while the couple was sleeping and was met with a gunshot.

Police say this was completely random, the suspect, 18-year-old Daniel Glen Larson did not know the people in the apartment when he broke in. Police say Patty Knepper and Phillip Reinhardt did everything right when confronted by a violent intruder.

“I heard someone's foot steps coming and the door started to open and that's when I said somebody's in our room,” said Patty Knepper.

“I got my gun pointed straight at his head but I'm waiting for him to do something before I pull the trigger,” said Phillip.

By this time patty says she's calling 911 on her cell phone and its light illuminates her face and that's when he starts attacking her

She says he grabs her mouth she says all the while she's fighting back and still trying to call 911. That is when Reinhardt shot the intruder.

The 9-MM slug hit Larson in the torso and ends up passing through the wall. Larson then runs to the front room but Patty blocks the front door and Phillip is aiming his pistol at the intruder.

“He said if you're not going to let me out I'm going to go through the window he just came over here and went like that, hit it with his elbow, the window shattered and he jumped out,” said Patty.

Police say Larson then tries to cross 3900 South and nearly gets hit by a car and collapses.

Larson underwent surgery for the bullet wound and is now in protective custody. He could face charges of burglary and assault once he recovers.
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

2. Remove Ads

The dirtbag is in protective custody? What's that? What are they protecting HIM from...throw his dirtbag butt in jail!

What's this mean?
    He could face charges of burglary and assault once he recovers.

Sure hope he gets more than a 'warning' not to do it again.
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; March 16th, 2008 at 10:21 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    The dirtbag is in protective custody? What's that? What are they protecting HIM from...throw his dirtbag butt in jail!

What's this mean?

I think that bullet was a nice warning.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Good shooting....not sure why he's in "protective custody" instead of "police custody". Hopefully by the end of the day it will change from Could to Will face charges.
    Obviously the homeowner was using ball ammo, hopefully he will decide to switch over to HP ammo. The pass through of the BG and interior wall could be a potential problem in a case like this.

It's hard to second guess what should have or shouldn't have happened in a defensive shooting; darkness, noise, confusion, muzzle flash, and many other factors come into play. We can all say what we would have done, from our armchairs, but you never know what you will really do until after you have actually been there and done it. I think this is a good situation (real live and not just a "what if" to evaluate). I've had the opportunity to be in this neighborhood and it's not too bad, good lighting, crime rate is not too high, so an incident like this can happen anywhere...especially when you least expect it. Hindsight says they could have had at least a Radio Shack door alarm on the front door, for early warning intrusion, but with a deadbolt lock and chain, how many of us would have thought it was necessary? At least the guy had a personal defense weapon, and I applaud the SLC PD for public stating that he did the right thing in defending his girlfriend and himself with it. Bedroom lighting (from the parking lot and street) must have been appropriate, based on the fact that the defendant stated that he had his gun pointed right at the perp's head (even though he hit him in the torso). Ammunition. Would it have been better if the defendant had a HP in the chamber versus a FMJ? Did he have a round in the chamber or did he have to rack the slide first? Did he only have one clear shot, did he think one shot was enough from his high powered 9mm, or was he blinded by the flash of the first round, or did he lose the desire for a gunfight after the first round? These are just a few of the things that crossed my mind, and I'm sure you can think of a lot more, but none the less, think about how prepared you are to prevent this from even happening and what would you do if it does happen to you...are we ready for something like this?

I have played this scene over and over in my head and many others.I got a stranger in my house i got him in my sights and i'm waiting for him to make the next move?Which would be what, shoot me first,also apparently one shot didn't stop the threat.I don't have to armchair quarterback this one,I would have shot as soon as I saw him and kept shooting til threat was neutralized.I live n Texas if you are in my house uninvited you just signed your death warrant,it's not a state where you have to second guess what might happen to you if you shoot somebody breaking into your home.Our laws are pretty clear and under castle doctrine BG or his family cannot sue you for his actions

I live n Texas if you are in my house uninvited you just signed your death warrant,it's not a state where you have to second guess what might happen to you if you shoot somebody breaking into your home.Our laws are pretty clear and under castle doctrine BG or his family cannot sue you for his actions
    It's the same for Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

What's this mean?

maybe he COULD face charges if he lives. just a thought.
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

The people doing the editing are playing word games. Protective custody is the politically correct way of saying, "under arrest." Could face burglary charges means that right now he has not been charged so the prosecutor may decide to charge the guy with a felony like burglary IF he admits to breaking in to steal something from the people. If, however, the state has a home invasion charge, which is generally a much worse offense, then the dirtbag could be charged with that instead of the burglary. Semantics is all it is.
    Imagine that you're an enemy soldier and you are surrounded by U.S. Army paratroopers on one side and American marines on the other side... Talk about a hopeless situation... That has got to be legal grounds for suicide!

Links