Man Thwarts Three Burglars In His Home

This is a discussion on Man Thwarts Three Burglars In His Home within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The pounding of feet against his front door awoke a 56-year-old Kansas City man early Tuesday. “Was that you?” Les Daniel called to his 10-year-old ...

Thread: Man Thwarts Three Burglars In His Home

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Man Thwarts Three Burglars In His Home

The pounding of feet against his front door awoke a 56-year-old Kansas City man early Tuesday.

“Was that you?” Les Daniel called to his 10-year-old grandson in another bedroom.

“No,” the boy replied.

Daniel climbed from bed, grabbed two handguns and prepared for a showdown.

He recounted to a Kansas City Star reporter the story of the break-in at 2:20 a.m. Tuesday in the 4400 block of East 68th Terrace.

When he peered into his darkened dining room, fish tank lights illuminated a hooded stranger slinking across the room to inspect a home computer.

“Who is it?” Daniel asked.

“KCP,” the stranger replied, an apparent reference to Kansas City police.

Daniel saw a second stranger and heard a third. He wondered whether to confront them or just kill them.

“I was behind two of them, and they didn’t even know it. I could have killed them really quick,” he recalled. “But they looked young. And if I start shooting, they’re gonna shoot back.”

Not wanting to endanger his wife and grandson, Daniel called out: “Whatever you think I got, you’re wrong! There ain’t anything in here! You’re about ready to die over $8!”

He chambered a round in his .357-caliber Glock with a loud click. The intruders fled.

Daniel couldn’t figure why his house was targeted.

“I guess it looks like I got something, but I don’t,” he said.

Unable to secure his splintered front door, he stayed up the rest of the night in case the intruders returned. Later, he bought a new door with a strike plate, and a new wrought-iron screen door.
    Good outcome. Not sure about his thought process, wondering whether to confront or to shoot. 3 on 1, I think I might be likely to take the initiative by putting one of them down immediately, and see how the other two respond. Hard to say. Also, I don't think it was very smart of him to confront without his gun in condition 1.
    Last edited by CT-Mike; March 19th, 2008 at 07:36 AM.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Good outcome. Not sure about his thought process, wondering whether to confront or to shoot. 3 on 1, I think I might be likely to take the initiative by putting on of them down immediately, and see how the other two respond. Hard to say. Also, I don't think it was very smart of him to confront without his gun in condition 1.

I agree, one down, then targeting the next two. If it had been the KCP, they would have announced that upon entry. They also would have come in with flashlights. They would not be lurking around in the dark eyeballing his computer. If he is not going to have his defensive weapon ready to use, then he should just get a bat, they don't have to be loaded.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

3 on 1, even with a brace of "glock .357's" I dunno if I'd given 'em the chance.......but all's good in the end for him and his.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Yet another case of BGs impersonating police during the commission of crime including sudden unexpected odd hour and unlawful acting/seeming entry to a citizens home.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Three on one? Picture my hero, Yosemite Sam! "On the floor, varmints, before I start to shoot!"

This would not happen, by the way, if I did not already have a round chambered :-))

Not quite what the nanny state recommends (he did not cower in fear in his closet), but unfortunately does not sound as if he got a positive ID, so they will be at someones else house tomorrow night.

Quote Originally Posted by mousehunter View Post
    Not quite what the nanny state recommends (he did not cower in fear in his closet), but unfortunately does not sound as if he got a positive ID, so they will be at someones else house tomorrow night.

The nanny state?

68th terrace is in Missouri, and we have castle doctrine.

Not a great strategist, but willing to stand up and defend himself and his property. Good for him. As much as the punks deserved it not everyone is willing to live with themselves in that circumstance. Self defense is easy to rationalize for most, these kinds of circumstances, especially when he referred to them as looking like "kids", I know a lot of people would not be able to handle dropping a trio of 14-16 year olds. They would probably be saving lives in the future, but I understand not shooting.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Geds View Post
    The nanny state?

68th terrace is in Missouri, and we have castle doctrine.
    +1.

Great outcome.
    Better to die quick, fighting on your feet;
    Than to live forever, begging on your knees.

Good outcome!

And it's KCPD not KCP! LOL... no one said criminals were smart! And the cops don't wear hoodies when entering.

Glad all went well! Sounds like they were bought and paid for if he wanted to.

Like someone said, he could have used some better tactics but no harm, no foul.

Good Job!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Some thoughts come to mind...

He should have had a flashlight in one hand, a gun in the other, not two guns.

It is interesting to read how he postured and made a threat of force, which played on the minds of the intruders. The wind of fear.

The homeowner established his own limits on taking a life (lives).

I hope his grandson isn't afraid to sleep, or go to his grandpa's house.

He maintained control at the risk of his life, and now can live with
    his decision not to kill a teenager(s). Not bad! Not bad!
    I'm not sure I could have held fire in that situation.

There is one thing I believe about those three intruders who escaped with their lives...

The fact that they weren't killed when they could have been means absolutely nothing to them other than the thrill and rush of the moment.

I don't think getting away without being killed will do anything in the least to dissuade them from their life of crime.

Maybe they'll get blown away during their next break-in.... or maybe they'll kill a homeowner.

Either way, I don't think the fact that the homeowner had the drop on them and let them go means a thing to them.

They may have even thought the homeowner was stupid for NOT shooting them.

Just seems to be the mentality of thugs these days.

Just my opinion, yours may vary
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I personallly don't care how young somebody looks in the dark,In todays society there are juveniles that kill people everyday,they figure the will get out when they are 18 even if they get caught.Also now they know the homeowner has guns in the house,what's to stop them from waiting til he leaves then going back and stealing his guns too.Here in Texas same scenario I would of taught them a lesson they failed to learn early on,bad choices can get you kilt.No ? hello who is it,the first warning they get is when the first shot drops the first one,and if i'm coming outta my bedroom at night i got the HD shotgun 00 buck 9 .32 cal. pellets first 3rounds next 2 are 1oz. slugs.At room distance the pattern is uder 4 inches

Links