Homeowner Shoots Man in Flint's First Homicide

This is a discussion on Homeowner Shoots Man in Flint's First Homicide within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Homeowner shoots man in Flint's first homicide- mlive.com FLINT - The city's first homicide of the year occurred Saturday morning when police said a 72-year-old ...

Thread: Homeowner Shoots Man in Flint's First Homicide

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Homeowner shoots man in Flint's first homicide- mlive.com

FLINT - The city's first homicide of the year occurred Saturday morning when police said a 72-year-old man shot his 37-year-old housemate in the stomach.

Police were called to the scene about 7 a.m. and found Jonathon Joseph Stevens dead on the sidewalk next door to the home where he'd been living. Police have not released the name of the accused shooter.

Flint police Sgt. Roderick LeGardye said Stevens and the older man got into an argument early Saturday morning inside the home at 2518 Bagley St. During the fight, Stevens allegedly hit the elderly man with a large wooden stick. The 72-year-old then pulled out a gun and shot the victim at least once in the stomach, LeGardye said.
    Advertisement

Stevens tried to run away but collapsed on the sidewalk. The suspect was taken to Hurley Medical Center with head injuries. He is not expected to be taken into police custody pending further investigation, LeGardye said.

"Right now, we're unsure what they were fighting about," LeGardye said.

LeGardye said Stevens was living in the older man's home but did not know their relationship. Stevens' wife had recently moved in and was at the home when the shooting occurred.

This has been the first time in years Flint has gone more than two months into a new year without a homicide.

Last year, 11 homicides had occurred by the end of February. Police credit stepped up patrols and last year's opening of the city jail for the fall in slayings.

Neighbors, however, were surprised to have the first homicide of the year in what they described as a quiet, family-friendly neighborhood. Many said they didn't know the victim or the homeowner.

Jeanna Jacobs, who lives on Bagley, said she was "freaked out" Saturday morning when she saw police tape lining her street and a body covered in a yellow tarp on the sidewalk.

"I'm nervous," she said. "What starts out as a domestic (dispute) could come out onto the street and turn into something worse."

Jacobs said she has an 8-year-old son and isn't sure what to tell him about the shooting. She now worries about him playing outside.

Dorcia Brown, who lives around the corner on Chevrolet Avenue, said she and her seven children typically walk through the neighborhood to go shopping. She was out Friday night and said the neighborhood was quiet.

"It's scary," she said while standing across the street from the police scene. "I walk to the store and allow my kids to walk (down these streets)."
    Not a lot of facts in this story, but I did note that the shooter was referred to as the suspect (I am assuming that the elderly gentleman was hit in the head with the large stick).
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Homoicide???
    72yo gets hit in the head with a stick from a 37yo??
    Homoicide???
    Why would it not read self-defense?
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Senior Moderator
    Homicide = the killing of one human being by another.

Killing in self-defense is still, by definition, homicide.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

"She and her 7 children walk by to go shopping." Sounds like they need police patrol and birth control.
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

I'm surprised it took Flint this long to get their first..

[Off-topic]

Quote Originally Posted by abuttermilk View Post
    "She and her 7 children walk by to go shopping." Sounds like they need /.../ birth control.
    I find that offensive. It is not appropriate to disparage the choices others make based simply on one's own opinions. Most, if not all, of us here fight a political battle against those whose opinion is that we should not be allowed to choose to carry the best tools of self defense.

[/Off-topic]

Quote Originally Posted by Henry View Post
    [Off-topic]

I find that offensive. It is not appropriate to disparage the choices others make based simply on one's own opinions. Most, if not all, of us here fight a political battle against those whose opinion is that we should not be allowed to choose to carry the best tools of self defense.

[/Off-topic]
    +1

Please don't tell me how big my family can be.

Sounds like self defense to me.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links