Conversation with a friend in LA

This is a discussion on Conversation with a friend in LA within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; He is doing security work for one of the large utility firms down there. Spoke to him on the phone today for the first time ...

Thread: Conversation with a friend in LA

Exclamation Conversation with a friend in LA

He is doing security work for one of the large utility firms down there. Spoke to him on the phone today for the first time in weeks. He spoke some on what he has personally been through and witnessed since going down to Louisiana.

Looting is down but sniping at utility crews and others is a big issue. In fact today was the first time in almost three weeks that none of the work crews have been fired on. He has been shot at by looters, both rounds hitting the truck he was in (both driver and passenger unharmed) and at one point a group of approximately 30 people (some of them armed with bats, handguns, etc) approached them and at that point long guns were displayed and the group taken into custody with help of the National Guard who were in turn backed up by a Blackhawk helo with a mini gun!

He said they had to go into N.O. a couple of times the first few days down there to do retrievels on company personnel who were stranded. My friend spoke of nightly outbursts of gunfire including automatic weapons fire. I specifically asked him "do you mean multiple gunshots or automatic fire?", his reply "both"...

So far he safe and for that I am glad. Feels they will likely be down there for at least three more weeks in his area but with the approaching storm they may have to head west to cover crews in that region.

More as I get it.

p.s. He also told me that as bad as the conditions looked on T.V. it was far worse in person.

2. Remove Ads

that to bad i just dont understand why they would shoot at the repair crews.

wonder if itll be like that in texas if its that bad there hopefully not .. Course seems the people in texas are smart enough to leave

VIP Member
    I am with you there Bud. I do not get it. It is like logic ceases to apply when masses are in the middle of a crisis. Let's assume that the people doing the snipping are part of the standard criminal element of NO. What do they expect to gain by slowing down the restoration of basic services? I doubt pretty much this gangster have generators in their lairs and are enjoying all the conforts of life right now, Why make their own lifes more miserable? Hell, they looted for high end electronics that need power to be enjoyed otherwise they only have some huge paperweights.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    I think that the lawless prefer to keep New Orleans lawless. For the first time in their lives, they have near-unlimited access to "free" Nikes, "free" jewelry, "free" clothes, and whatever else they can get their thieving little hands on, not to mention an almost "free" reign of the town with little to no resistance, because there's hardly anybody around. So they're kings of their castle, even if their castle is a cesspool of disease of death. And thugs do what they usually do - fight back against anything resembling law & order.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Lead Moderator
    kinda glad I decided not to hire on down there for security work.

Assistant Administrator
    I think that the lawless prefer to keep New Orleans lawless.
    I think you are right Betty. The lawless want no restoration of order and civilization. Better for them is total anarchy with them in control.

It will probably take some fierce gunfights yet to get these groups under control - because they must not win the upper hand.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Your Right betty thats for sure

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    "Better to rule in Hell than serve in Heaven."

Quote Originally Posted by Betty
    I think that the lawless prefer to keep New Orleans lawless.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Escape From N.O.? Starring....?

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I think you are right Betty. The lawless want no restoration of order and civilization. Better for them is total anarchy with them in control.

It will probably take some fierce gunfights yet to get these groups under control - because they must not win the upper hand.
    I think I've said this before and I say it again only half way in jest: We probably ought to throw up a huge wall around the whole city and then toss the rest of our prison population inside and just ring it with troops. Let them govern themselves. Sound like a Kurt Russell movie? Well....yup.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Well there is some GOOD news, I just got an e-mail alert from the NRA. They (and GOA) filed a federal suit asking for an indefinite injunction against those currently directing the gun confiscations taking place. They got the injunction to cease and desist...AND a directive that all confiscated firearms are to be returned to their lawful owners complete with receipt. Finally. Somebody who gives a DAMN about the US Constitution.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Citizens of N.O.

After Katrina, stories of gun battles :
    By Andy Sullivan Wed Sep 21,11:40 AM ET
    NEW ORLEANS (Reuters) - After the storm came the carjackers and burglars. Then came the gun battles and the chemical explosions that shook the restored Victorians in New Orleans' Algiers Point neighborhood.
    "The hurricane was a breeze compared with the crime and terror that followed," said Gregg Harris, a psychotherapist who lives in the battered area.
    As life returned to this close-knit neighborhood three weeks after Hurricane Katrina, residents said they hoped their experience could convince political leaders to get serious about the violence and poor services that have long been an unfortunate hallmark of their city.
    "I think now it's a wake-up call," Harris said.
    After the storm, the neighborhood association had to act as law enforcement and emergency response unit as city services collapsed and the police force was unable to protect them.
    Citizens organized armed patrols and checked on the elderly. They slept on their porches with loaded shotguns and bolted awake when intruders stumbled on the aluminum cans they had scattered on the sidewalk.
    Gunshots rang out for days, sometimes terrifyingly close.
    For Harris, the first warning sign came on Tuesday, the day after the storm, when two young men hit his partner, Vinnie Pervel, over the head and drove off with his Ford van.
    "A police car drove up behind me and saw it happening but he didn't do anything," said Pervel, who heads the 1,500-household neighborhood association.
    Then residents heard that police vehicles were being carjacked and looters were taking guns and ammunition from nearby stores.
    "We thought, 'Perhaps this is going to get really ugly,"' said Gareth Stubbs, a marine surveyor who lives across Pelican Street from Harris and Pervel.
    A Texas woman who runs a Web site called Polimom.com served as a link between those who stayed and those who had left. With her help, they stockpiled an arsenal of shotguns, derringer pistols and an old AK-47.
    They were put to use the next day.
    "Some looters came up and pulled a gun on the wrong group of men," said Harris, who said he did not fire a gun himself and declined to say who else was involved in the battle.
    "Two men were shot right there," Harris said, pointing down the street as he watered his rose bushes. "One was shot in the back, the other in the leg, and the third I was told made it a block and a half before he died in the street. I did not go down to see the body."
    The next day a nearby stockpile of chemicals exploded, shaking the houses and sending a fireball 300 feet into the sky. The fire burned for another three days, Harris said.
    "For five days we didn't need FEMA, the Red Cross or the National Guard," Harris said. "The neighborhood took care of itself."
    diplomacy ... the art of saying "nice doggie"..while looking for a big rock !!

Assistant Administrator
    "For five days we didn't need FEMA, the Red Cross or the National Guard," Harris said. "The neighborhood took care of itself."
    Exactly - and that is why folks need their guns, to prevent vermin from exploiting them. Predictably, the cops cannot (will not) do it in thise circumstances.

Glad to here some scum were ''disciplined'' !!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Gotta agree with Chris. "Discipline" is far too scarce in that hole they call a city.
    Don't get me wrong; I liked N.O. before the storm, but there was a bunch of lawlessness even then.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Links