Ugly: Calif. Woman Killed While On Phone with 911: MERGED

This is a discussion on Ugly: Calif. Woman Killed While On Phone with 911: MERGED within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just read a Story on Comcast.net my ISP that a West Covina CA woman was shot while on the phone with 911 reporting a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ugly: Calif. Woman Killed While On Phone with 911: MERGED

I just read a Story on Comcast.net my ISP that a West Covina CA woman was shot while on the phone with 911 reporting a break in. I cannot figure how to link the story but the gist of it went "deputies report that while she was reporting a breakin they heard several shots and the line went silent.

Keep this story in mind next time someone tries to tell you that 911 negates the need for a defensive firearm!!!

MikeV

Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Thank you very much. and, Yes.

MikeV

No problem. My wife had to show me how to do that the first time I tried. That story is sad. I wish people would understand that LEO cannot respond fast enough to save you in a situation like that.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Gun control is working really well in California, as usual. Don't they understand that the crime situation in this country is horrendous and that the police can't be in 100 places at once?

Horrible.

It's not clear from the story, but she may have called her husband first and then called police. Not trying to criticize someone who has just been killed even if that is what happened, but I'm going to use this event to remind my wife to call police first under such a circumstance. Unless I'm unusually close to home, the police can get there before I can.

Of course, it would have been much better had she been armed.

Sad. And horrible.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Contrast this story with the lady in Santa Clarita who had access to a gun and shot the guy who broke in and came after her three times, or with the gutsy lady that had a borrowed gun with her in the closet and shot the guy attacking her just before he would have killed her.

The difference is tragically clear. Be prepared, have and know how to use a gun to defend your self, or call 911 and die. Pick your pony, take your ride.

Fitch

...but the police were there in just a few minutes

Stay armed...when you only have seconds...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Amen to the stay prepared advice... If only that poor woman could have had access to a weapon to defend herself.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

This is sad; but, some of the home security systems lead you to believe that help is only seconds away while they stay safe on a phone line listening to you being killed. Only you can protect you. I know she called 911, but people actually believe that the police can be there yesterday.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    Gun control is working really well in California, as usual. Don't they understand that the crime situation in this country is horrendous and that the police can't be in 100 places at once?

She still could have owned a weapon with a 10rd magazine. That would probably have been more than enough in this situation. The sad part is she didn't...or if she did, she didn't think to use it...she just thought Barbara Boxer was going to come to her rescue if she called 911. California is a large and dangerous state. If you live there then you need to be doing the very maximum allowed by law where your safety is concerned. This is another tragic example of of people putting too much faith in the system. It's so sad that even with a handicap as guns law go, people don't take advantage of what they legally can. Not necessarily her in particular because we don't know whether she had a weapon in the house or not, but some people refuse to even own a gun. I just can't understand it...
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Escape, evade, survive.

Don't call your husband/dad/mom/BF...that is a waste of valuable stay alive time.
    Escape, evade, survive.

If the house were on fire would one think it reasonable to stay inside and call the hubby at work?
    No.
    You get the heck out by any means available. Out a window. Exit via a side or back door.
    Escape, evade, survive.

Take your cell or wireless home phone with you as you flee.
    Dial _911_ first and foremost to advise the of your 'fire' from the safety of distance. Then after hanging up with them call your husband/dad/mom/BF or whomever.

Do not sit in your house hiding under the bed or crouched in a closet whispering into a phone or standing still trying to get small and invisible.
    One would never ever do this if there house were on fire or they smelled smoke. Why do same when you hear your door being kicked in or movement around your home when you know you should be home alone.
    Escape, evade, survive.

911 is not a plan, it's a trouble reporting service.
    They like the Maytag repair man can only react to a problem and they always show up after the fact not before and rarely in the nick of time.

Escape, evade, survive.

- Janq is going to review this concept tonight over dinner with my wife and 5 yr. old daughter
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

911 is great for medical emergencies.....when some thug, who has nothing to lose, is in your face, it takes away precious time.

I wonder if the dispatcher gave her the usual "go to a room and lock the door and wait for police."
    Too bad she didn't have or didn't grab a gun first...

Woman Shot While Talking To 911

Here is another example of how we can't rely solely on police protection for our own safety. As a former LEO, I can say that I would have much rather arrived on the scene to find someone who had exercised their ability to protect themselves than to have found a victim who paid the ultimate price for their defenselessness. This is a sad story.

Gunshots bring abrupt end to frantic 911 call - CNN.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links