Frisco home intruder shoots man after confrontation

This is a discussion on Frisco home intruder shoots man after confrontation within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; That is why I prefer my handgun as a primary home defense weapon. Easier to handle and quicker follow-up shots if there are any misses. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frisco home intruder shoots man after confrontation

That is why I prefer my handgun as a primary home defense weapon. Easier to handle and quicker follow-up shots if there are any misses.

I have a mossberg 590 pump that is primarily for the bedroom. Shooting from a fixed and ensconced position. As Ayoob states; "bedroom artillery."

Once I've been alerted and have barricaded myself in the bedroom, if they are stupid enough to kick in the door, they will get a COM full of 00 Buck!

For most other occasions it's a handgun for defense!

I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds a shotgun rather difficult to wield in the close confines of a house or down hallways, especially when you have been startled and have the heightened level of being in full body alarm mode at the thought of someone actually breaking into your home.

Sure, I can do it, but I feel more comfortable handling a pistol with a tac light mounted. I definitely shoot my pistols more than my shotguns and rifles.

Lets face it, most people do not expect a home invasion and naturally there is going to be some degree of fear factor involved. For me, the handgun is much more appropriate for such events that are unexpected and I have little to no time to prepare for battle.

YMMV
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    The shooting distance was a matter of feet. Birdshot should have been sufficiently effective....IF HE HAD HIT THE SUSPECT. There was no evidence that the suspect was hit - no blood, blood trail, etc. So the homeowner could have been shooting a Barrett .50 BMG and had the same performance with a MISS.
    I would think that there would be some damage to a human body standing in front of a .50 just from the muzzle blast. I personally do not want to find out. My Desert Eagle .44 is bad enough 3 feet directly to the side.

Hope this guy does a bit more practice.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I know someone who needs to take a SD shotgun course...

How do you miss with a shotgun in a hallway or a small room?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would think that there would be some damage to a human body standing in front of a .50 just from the muzzle blast.
    Not from a Barrett, no more so than the homeowner would have suffered had he fired it indoors, maybe less because of the massive muzzle brake.

I know someone who needs to take a SD shotgun course...

How do you miss with a shotgun in a hallway or a small room?
    How do you miss? Actually, it is easier to miss up close with a shotgun than at some distance? Why? Because the aim has to be more precise. The pattern has little chance to expand. To be honest, the fact that the homeowner's pattern expanded as much as it did surprised me. Most shotguns get about 1" per yard for buckshot (rough estimate) and he got at least double that amount of pattern expansion.

Also, he was firing a pistol gripped shotgun like a pistol from a side prone position, after being shot, apparently in low light, and he was trying to hit a moving target.

Your query might as well be to ask how anyone can miss at short range regardless of gun type.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

I'm more concerned with loading the shotgun after the BG was in the home.

Correct DNS...Clearly a miss is FTL regardless of load.

I'm amazed he missed with a short barrel and open cylinder bore in a small room at CQB distance.
    Good for him though on thinking to zig then zag and miss getting hit himself.
    If I were him I'd get rid of that pistol grip ASAP.

As to the dollar, add it to my tab. ;)

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

After checking out the website and watching the video, I can see how he missed the shot. I for one have never practiced that shot. First, confront an intruder, second get shot in the arm, next lay on your side, then grab a shotgun and with one hand take a shot at fleeing man. not easy, I think had he been using a pistol it would have been easier, but still not easy.

On another topic, I'm glad to see there has not been any criticism of him taking the shot at a "fleeing" suspect.

I used to have one of those 12ga. pistol grip contraptions in my surveillance van loaded with 00, if I didn't have it solidly braced into my hip and body I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn at three feet!!! What amazes me is not that he missed, but how he didn't break his wrist from shooting it with one hand.

On another topic, I'm glad to see there has not been any criticism of him taking the shot at a "fleeing" suspect.
    I consider such folks to be "in motion to a superior position of cover." That is the safe (self preservation) assessment to make as you can't ascertain that they are actually fleeing until they have gone.

The bad guy was an armed intruder who had demonstrated his willingness to shoot and who was still in a position to do harm can't be considered out of the fight.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Shizzlemah View Post
    I'm more concerned with loading the shotgun after the BG was in the home.
    No kidding... My 12 gauge stays loaded to the gills with 5 slugs hanging off the side and a bandaleer of 50 more within arms reach of it. Unloaded guns are dangerous.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links