Frisco home intruder shoots man after confrontation

This is a discussion on Frisco home intruder shoots man after confrontation within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; "Frisco home intruder shoots man after confrontation 06:59 AM CDT on Friday, March 21, 2008 From staff reports A Frisco man was shot in his ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frisco home intruder shoots man after confrontation

"Frisco home intruder shoots man after confrontation

06:59 AM CDT on Friday, March 21, 2008

From staff reports

A Frisco man was shot in his home by an intruder Thursday evening, minutes after returning from work, police said.
    8400 block of Hickory Street

Steven Geddie, 24, heard someone breaking into the back door of his home in the 8400 block of Hickory Street around 6 p.m., police said. He told police he grabbed a shotgun and confronted the man in a hallway.

The two exchanged gunfire, and the intruder fled. Mr. Geddie suffered a minor wound in his left arm and refused to be taken to the hospital for treatment, police said.

He said the intruder, possibly a Hispanic or Asian man, was wearing a red bandana over his face, a Dallas Cowboys cap, a gray-and-white jacket and jeans.

Anyone with information is asked to contact Frisco police at 972-292-6010. "

Often I come home from work and get in relax mode. Kick of the shoes, disarm etc. This is one more example of "anytime, anywhere". 6pm on a Thursday afternoon in your own house. It is too bad his shotgun work was not effective at more permanently removing the thugs from his profession.

I'll bet a dollar he had his shotty loaded with ineffective brand 'birdshot'. :\

- Buckshot FTW
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Janq, that's very likely. That is one issue I was recently discussing with a friend about a home defense gun. The shotgun is great, but if it is not loaded correctly your not giving yourself the proper weapon for the fight.

I as well as a whole lot of other people, consider the 12 guage to be the ultimate in home defense. But you might as well load it with rock salt if all your shooting is birdshot. That guy is lucky to have just had a minor injury.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    I'll bet a dollar he had his shotty loaded with ineffective brand 'birdshot'. :\

- Buckshot FTW
    Janq will probably win that bet!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Cloud View Post
    I as well as a whole lot of other people, consider the 12 guage to be the ultimate in home defense.
    You mean even better than an AK47 with steel core Russian ammo? Take care of the burglar and those pesky neighbors at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    You mean even better than an AK47 with steel core Russian ammo? Take care of the burglar and those pesky neighbors at the same time!
    If your AK was allowed to rock and roll, I'd probably agree with you. But as it stands...9 pieces of lead per trigger pull beats one piece of lead, every time.

NRA member

The shooting distance was a matter of feet. Birdshot should have been sufficiently effective....IF HE HAD HIT THE SUSPECT. There was no evidence that the suspect was hit - no blood, blood trail, etc. So the homeowner could have been shooting a Barrett .50 BMG and had the same performance with a MISS.

Maybe the suspect was wearing body armor. Level IIIa soft armor would be enough to stop bird, buck and even most slugs at close range. So the shotgun could have been properly loaded and the vest hit, but not the suspect inside it (no penetration).
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Naught Spy View Post
    Maybe the suspect was wearing body armor. Level IIIa soft armor would be enough to stop bird, buck and even most slugs at close range. So the shotgun could have been properly loaded and the vest hit, but not the suspect inside it (no penetration).
    My IIIA Point Blank vest can stop up to 9mm sub machine guns. I thought about getting SAPI plates, but figured I wouldn't need it. Those things are expensive too.

I would normally say thinking a common burglar would have body armor is absurd but if you are going to consider a career in home invasions in Texas, I would have to say body armor might be a good investment.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Bullet Grazes Frisco Homeowner During Shooting - News Story - KXAS | Dallas

I watched the video of the homeowner demonstrating everything. I don't see the video posted yet, but here is the story.

Jang, you owe us all a dollar! The homeowner did not have a shotgun loaded with buckshot. HE MISSED WITH ALL 16 PELLETS AT CLOSE RANGE, across the room and in the video, the room appeared to be maybe 12-15 feet across and he was in it with the intruder when he fired. Effectiveness of caliber is most important when the bullets/pellets/slugs actually hit the intended target. Since he missed, no impact on the intruder.

The shot was to the left (and I am guessing low left, so possible flinch). I am sure it didn't help that he was using a pistolgriip shotgun didn't help his sighting and chances are that he had never fired the shotgun from that position previously.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bullet Grazes Frisco Homeowner During Shooting

POSTED: 10:48 pm CDT March 21, 2008
    UPDATED: 10:57 pm CDT March 21, 2008

FRISCO, Texas -- A bullet grazed a Frisco man during a shootout in his condo on Thursday.

Frisco police said Steve Geddie was lucky to have escaped alive after the shooting, which happened at his home on Hickory Creek on Thursday evening.

Geddie said he was in the bathroom when he heard an intruder breaking into his condo through the back door.

"So I'm sitting on the toilet (and) I hear this banging," he said.

Geddie said he crept through his bathroom, into his bedroom.

"(I) reached underneath my mattress, pulled up the shotgun (and) loaded up the chamber -- size one buckshot," he said.

Geddie then walked toward his living room, where he confronted the intruder, he said.

He said the man's gun was "literally right in my chest."

"My first instinct is to move to the side," Geddie said. "He grazed my shoulder on the first shot."

The man got two shots off, he said.

Geddie said he dropped the shotgun and then dove to the ground to pick it back up. Geddie said he pulled the shotgun up as the intruder headed out the door. He took a shot at the man, but missed just to the left of him, he said.

"I grabbed the shotgun up, pulled it up as he was heading out the door, and just missed to the left of him,"

"Otherwise, he would have had size-1 buckshot all through his thighs and butt," Geddie said.

Geddie's shotgun blasted 16 pellets and an 8-inch hole through his wall.

His wife, Kathryn, worked out late on Thursday. If she hadn't, she would have confronted the suspect alone, she said.

"Had it been me home, it could have been a completely different story that you're covering today," she said.

Steve Geddie, an Alaskan-born gun enthusiast, said homeowners should be prepared for incidents like he faced.

"I believe that every homeowner should be able to be prepared for self-preservation in the event that something like this happens," he said.

Geddie said his brain was the most powerful weapon he used during the incident. He was able to think his way through everything, he said.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Shooting a shotgun with a pistol grip while lieing on your back (or prone)...I can't tell from that article, isn't easy. Still if the room is only 12 to 15 feet across it's hard to imagine how he missed...even point shooting. Lucky home owner, lucky home invader. I'll bet he crapped himself running down the street.

NRA member

The just rebroadcast the segment. The homeowner also shot the shotgun one-handed as per his demo. He showed how he picked it up with one hand, while on his side, extended his arm, and fired. So add that to the list of reasons for having missed as well.

As 00-Spy said, that pistol grip didnt help his aim. The fact he was laying on the floor and most likely shot one handed, I'm sure contribuited to the miss, but on the plus side only dry wall to repair, no blood, and I would think this BG would move to other easier pickins. And the news story is a big plus for our ability to carry and protect ourselves, our family and our homes.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Maybe next time he won't drop it first...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links