Boca Raton mall killer - Page 2

Boca Raton mall killer

This is a discussion on Boca Raton mall killer within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The perp here is selecting: 1) Women (perception of weakness/helplessness) 2) Women driving high-end SUVs (victims are forced to withdraw from ATM) 3) Women with ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boca Raton mall killer

The perp here is selecting:
    1) Women (perception of weakness/helplessness)
    2) Women driving high-end SUVs (victims are forced to withdraw from ATM)
    3) Women with children (distracted; instant hostage)
    Malls and churches are known "soft targets" -- we can expect more crimes in both -- unfortunately with the publicity this Jack Doe is getting, we can expect copycats.
    We've already seen carjacks in this area with a similar MO: single white female in expensive SUV, ambushed just as she parks.
    The world is dangerous. Those who think otherwise are deluded.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

As others have said no carry signs in Fla are meaningless. I have been to the Boca Town Center mall and just as every mall I go to I always carry even though it is a nice mall in a nice area. It's concealed so how would they know? Although, once I had an officer give me a 'look' and nod so he may have known....
    My wife also carries sometimes but she prefers to drag me along with her to the malls. (tip; always bring a book/ magazine to read)

Thinking its safe is a 'sh act

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
    The perp here is selecting:
    1) Women (perception of weakness/helplessness)
    2) Women driving high-end SUVs (victims are forced to withdraw from ATM)
    3) Women with children (distracted; instant hostage)
    Malls and churches are known "soft targets" -- we can expect more crimes in both -- unfortunately with the publicity this Jack Doe is getting, we can expect copycats.
    We've already seen carjacks in this area with a similar MO: single white female in expensive SUV, ambushed just as she parks.
    The world is dangerous. Those who think otherwise are deluded.
    To add to number two, they were all black high-end suv's. Maybe they could set-up a sting for a little while.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

They need to hunt him down like an animal, then turn him over to OPFOR and his bunch so they can teach him what it is like to be hunted for a while.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Because having the means of self-defense would not alter the degree of risk of having a problem, only of the probability of having a certain outcome. It would be no guarantee of surviving an encounter.
    [/QUOTE]

...and such is life!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I tried to understand and have failed to understand: why anyone that can carry to protect theirselfs and family don't? It's always one reason or another such as "I don't have the time to put in for the license." It takes about 15 minutes in this county after you have the training class done, and most trainers are flexible on arranging training schedules.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Pilot View Post
    unfortunately with the publicity this Jack Doe is getting, we can expect copycats.
    This happened December 2007. Seems like it's starting to happen all over the country. Thankfully in this case no one was injured... yet. I don't think this guy was caught as of yet.

LANCASTER, Pa. -- A gunman forced his way into a woman's car, then robbed and kidnapped her in the parking lot of the Park City Center in Lancaster Monday afternoon, police said.

#

Police said the woman called 911 around 2:30 p.m. from the Bob Evans Restaurant on Centerville Road in East Hempfield Township to report that she had been kidnapped and robbed at gunpoint.

Police said the woman told them she had left Park City Center through the south entrance/exit around 2:20 p.m. She walked to her car, unlocked it and got in. At that point, the gunman entered the car, brandishing a black revolver, police said.

Police said the man told the woman to leave the parking lot and drive. The woman drove to the Centerville Square Shopping Center. The man directed her to the far northwest side and rear of the shopping center, where he demanded money and credit cards, police said. The woman gave the gunman her belongings and he fled on foot. The woman then went to the Bob Evans Restaurant and called police.

Police have released a sketch of the gunman (click through this slideshow to view the composite) and distributed the following description:

* Race/sex: Hispanic/male, light complexion.
    * Height: 5 feet 6 inches to 5 feet 8 inches tall.
    * Build: Medium.
    * Facial Hair: Unshaven.
    * Distinguishing marks: Black and gray tattoo on right arm, wrist area. The tattoo may continue up the arm.
    Clothes: Last seen wearing black ski/knit cap, black, puffy, waist-length winter coat, jeans with pre-made fade marks, black sneakers and black gloves.

"The description that they have is going to be exceptionally helpful. He may shave to change his facial appearance, but the tattoos and other descriptions that she's been able to give us are things that won't change -- that once the suspect is developed and he's taken into custody, they'll be the identifiers that we need," said Sgt. Pete Glatfelter.

If you have any information that could help investigators, you are asked to contact the Lancaster City Bureau of Police at 735-3300.

Park City released the following statement regarding the incident:

"Park City Center is cooperating fully and working closely with the City of Lancaster Bureau of Police's on-going investigation of an alleged incident that took place yesterday on the Mall parking lot. We are referring all questions regarding the incident to the Lancaster Police Department.

The security of our shoppers is always a concern. Park City Center has increased its security personnel during this holiday season and we ask that everyone remain keenly aware of their surroundings at all times. Any suspicious activities should be reported immediately to Mall security or the Lancaster Police Department."

I saw this on AMW. Only a true coward would attack ladies like this!

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleJim View Post
    As others have said no carry signs in Fla are meaningless.
    Sure, but even so a lot of people who do have carry licenses will assume they really can't carry there, or don't want the hassle of being spotted, or anything else.

I think Florida has issued permits to about 1 in 50 people (400k issued and population of 18M)---but that includes non-resident permits. But let's say all were in state, so 1 in 50. Not all of those people carry regularly. Probably not even half, but let's go with 1 in 100 armed in some way. At a posted mall, maybe half, or a little more, of those will disarm, or not show up at all (thus skewing the stats). Now we're at, oh, maybe 1 in 250 armed. And guys run somewhere between 2:1 or 3:1 in permit rate, so picking on mothers at a place like this gives the perp somewhere around 1:500---maybe as good as 1:1000---of getting an unarmed victim. Even in Florida.

Mostly, the gun only helps the one time he picks wrong, and the odds above say he could do this at least 500 times before he had en even up chance of failing the victim selection process. Oh, and fat lot of good a gun would have done the lady who managed not to see him get in the car and get the drop on her kid. Even having a gun is no guarantee that the armed citizen is really aware enough to get a chance to use it.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Mostly, the gun only helps the one time he picks wrong, and the odds above say he could do this at least 500 times before he had en even up chance of failing the victim selection process.
    Utah has a high rate of CCW licensed people also, but in the Trolley Square Mall last year in Salt Lake City, where the gunman walked in and started killing people there was only one person, out of thousands, that had a gun (off duty police officer) and killed the guy. Our malls are not "crime friendly" but I always wonder if there were more people carrying in the immediate vicinity that were later thinking coulda, shoulda, woulda? In the case of these women victims, if they were not constantly assessing their situation and immediate surroundings a gun in a purse or holster probably would not have been much help. A lot of people don't have this luxury, but now when my wife goes shopping I tag along with her, evaluating and assessing as she shops...me an my 20 friends.

We have made the world too safe; people believe that the structure of society provides security.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links