Boca Raton mall killer

Boca Raton mall killer

This is a discussion on Boca Raton mall killer within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; HeraldTribune.com - AP - Nation - - HeraldTribune.com Police hunt Boca Raton mall killer after attacks, abductions BOCA RATON, Fla. The 911 call lasted ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Boca Raton mall killer

HeraldTribune.com - AP - Nation - - HeraldTribune.com

Police hunt Boca Raton mall killer after attacks, abductions

BOCA RATON, Fla. The 911 call lasted a split second. Not even a breath was heard.

It was Nancy Bochicchio's last desperate plea for help.

The single mom and her 7-year-old daughter, Joey, would soon be dead, each bound and shot in the head in the back seat of their black Chrysler Aspen.

Their day started as normal as any other, with a trip to the posh Town Center mall in this affluent oceanside community for some shopping in the hectic weeks before Christmas.

That's where the terror begins and ends.

"You go to the mall thinking you're going to be safe," said JoAnn Bruno, Bochicchio's sister. "Would anyone think they were going to go to a mall in Boca Raton and be abducted and tortured and murdered? I mean, would anybody think that?"

Even scarier, it's not the first time this killer has struck at the mall - and maybe not the last.

---

March 23, 2007

Randi Gorenberg, 52, heads to the mall to do some shopping. It's a typical day for the bubbly, outgoing doctor's wife and mother of two.

She loves the Town Center. It's got all the best, high-end stores - Cartier, Louis Vuitton, Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue.

Surveillance video shows her leaving the mall at about 1:16 p.m. She walks into the parking lot to her black Mercedes SUV. She's not seen again alive.

Just over a half-hour later, at 1:54 p.m., witnesses spot her car driving through a park in nearby Delray Beach.

Then a gunshot.

Gorenberg's lifeless body falls from the passenger door, shot in the head.

Blood spills around her as her Mercedes speeds away.

It is found a few minutes later abandoned behind a Home Depot. Her purse and cell phone are missing. So are her black and white Puma shoes.

No one sees the suspect. To this day, he's a ghost.

"It's been a very hard and sad year for me," said Gorenberg's mother, Idey Elias. "And whoever he is, he's still out there doing these evil things."

---

August 7, 2007

A 30-year-old woman and her 2-year-old son leave the Town Center mall on a balmy afternoon and head for their black Lincoln Navigator in the Nordstrom's parking garage.

The woman puts her son in his car seat and loads her purchases in the back.

She gets behind the wheel and is startled to see a man sitting beside her child with a gun to his head. The gunman is dark-skinned, about 5'11", 180 pounds, wearing sunglasses and a full-brimmed floppy hat, possibly with a ponytail.

Panic sets in.

"Take whatever you want, just don't hurt us," she tells him.

The man orders the woman to drive to an ATM where she withdraws $600.

He then orders her into the back seat, where he binds her feet with plastic ties, secures her hands with cheap novelty handcuffs and fixes her neck to the headrest with another tie.

He's calm but threatens to kill her. She doesn't resist. They drive back to the mall where he puts a pair of blacked-out swim goggles over her eyes.

He asks if she's OK, even gets her a drink of water and her inhaler. She has asthma. Then he disappears.

The woman eventually frees herself.

"He took my license and told me if his picture was on the news that he would come after me ... and my son," she would later say. "I'm terrified."

Three days later, the same man is believed to have robbed a woman at gunpoint in a parking garage at another nearby shopping area

---

Dec. 13, 2007.

It's just after midnight at the mall. A security guard is making his rounds.

He notices a black SUV idling in the parking lot and calls police.

The Bochicchios are dead inside.

Just 10 hours earlier, Nancy Bochicchio picked up Joey from her second grade class for a doctor's appointment. The inseparable pair then hit the mall.

They enter between Neiman Marcus and Sears and come out the same way less than an hour later, spotted on surveillance video, their long shadows trailing them in the afternoon light.

Video from a nearby bank then shows their car at a drive-through ATM.

Bochicchio withdraws $500. No one knows what happens next but the killer.

Both are bound in the exact manner as the August victim. Their eyes, too, are covered with blacked-out goggles.

Nancy's handcuffs are broken, possibly in a struggle.

Bruno, Nancy's sister, says she was a feisty woman and likely would not have gone easily.

"She would have fought for Joey," Bruno said.

It might have sealed her fate.

"I can imagine Joey screaming," Bruno said sobbing, her hands clenched around a wad of tear-soaked tissues. "Every time I think of it, it's a nightmare."

Joey would have turned 8 a week after her death. Instead of birthday presents, Bruno bought coffins.

"I have the same dream all the time of her ... just looking down on me and she says, 'You gotta get him ... You gotta catch him,'" Bruno said. "I pray every day that it haunts him ... I pray that he has the nightmares that we all have."

Nancy and Joey are now buried by Nancy's parents in a crypt in New York. Bruno bought slots beside them for her and her husband.

"We always said we'd be together until the end," she said.

Bruno has sued the mall's owner, Simon Property Group, alleging negligence in failing to provide enough security. The August victim has also sued. Simon officials did not respond directly to the allegations, but said the mall is upgrading it's surveillance capabilities.

"These crimes are still under investigation and many crucial questions remain unanswered," said Simon spokeswoman Billie Scott.

---

A task force has been formed to catch the killer. The city is offering a $350,000 reward. Police have followed up on more than 800 tips.

While they haven't definitively linked the Gorenberg case with the others, it appears they're all connected.

"Someone is obviously noticing women in high-end SUVs at the mall and targeting them," said Capt. Jack Strenges of the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office.

It also appears that the suspect may only kill when his victims resist.

Evidence in the Gorenberg murder shows she may have tried to leap from her vehicle when she was shot. Bochicchio may have been trying to free herself from the handcuffs.

"It would appear that when they try to resist, he murders them," Strenges said.

Former FBI profiler Mark Safarik said if the same suspect killed Gorenberg, he may have learned from that experience that his victims would be more easily controlled if they had small children.

"He's now going to get the cooperation that he didn't get with his first victim," Safarik said. "Control is really a big issue for this guy. It's the control that keeps him calm, and when he loses control, things go bad, so I think he learned from the first case."

Safarik said the suspect likely has a violent criminal past and is a local who knows the area. He's impulsive, doesn't consider consequences and is numbed to violence.

"You've got to be pretty desensitized to shoot a 7-year-old," Safarik said. "And my guess is this guy isn't going to have a problem doing it again."
    This is a very nice area. Upscale.

Yet...Anyone. Anywhere. Anytime.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

"You go to the mall thinking you're going to be safe," said JoAnn Bruno, Bochicchio's sister.
    That's unthinking, actually. Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.

"Would anyone think they were going to go to a mall in Boca Raton and be abducted and tortured and murdered? I mean, would anybody think that?"
    Well ... yes. Because it happens, with increasing regularity, it seems.

Condolences for the families involved. What a tragedy. Hopefully, continued instances of this sort of thing will help wake people up to the simple realities of the world.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Condolences to the familys in all these ruthless murders. As much as I dislike most lawsuits. I am glad to see the families in 2 of these cases going after the mall owners for not insuring proper security in a GFZ. Maybe after they loose millios of dollars in cases like this, they will start allowing people to carry and defend themselves!

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I am glad to see the families in 2 of these cases going after the mall owners for not insuring proper security in a GFZ.
    Where does it say the mall is a GFZ? I missed that.
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rmarkob View Post
    Doesn't specifically say it, but it does say it is owned by Simon Malls, they are very gun unfriendly and almost all of their malls are posted

Our Simon Mall (Melbourne, FL) is posted.
    Not sure about the one in Boca.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Maybe after they loose millios of dollars in cases like this, they will start allowing people to carry and defend themselves!
    I agree. When the cost of denying people both protection and the means of self-defense exceeds the insurance coverage and loss of sales due to their own actions ... then, it might change. Until then, there's little incentive. And that is an honorable purpose for lawsuits. To force change where change is due.

neither Dadeland nor International malls were posted the last time I went to them.
    When seconds count, help is minutes away!

This will make your blood boil...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    People think everywhere they go is safe...idiots.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Doesn't specifically say it, but it does say it is owned by Simon Malls, they are very gun unfriendly and almost all of their malls are posted
    Thanks Archer51. I guess I'm not surprised the news article didn't point that out. Here in PA, there's no penalty for disregarding such signs. You could be arrested for trespassing if asked to leave and you refuse. What's the law in FL?
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    People think everywhere they go is safe.
    This is the real problem in this scenario. The problem isn't these individual crimes, sad as they are. They are going to happen again, and again, since there will always be another perpetrator to take Johnnie's place even if he's taken out. The problem is the head-in-sand approach most everyone takes to simple security precautions during their normal, daily routines. A routine doesn't have to be, so to speak. Shouldn't be, either, if you want to survive.

As a single parent with a child in tow, one doesn't have many options beyond: not shopping alone.

As a married parent with child, it's simple enough to do shopping as a team, so that one parent cannot be singled out from the "herd" in the manner of these crimes.

As an individual doing some shopping, likewise one can team up with one or more others when it's convenient to do so (ie, the weekend).

Here are some points that I have always made sure to do, in order to limit the time on-scene. It's tougher with a child in tow, sure, but it works very well when going solo:
    • Limiting purchases to what can easily be carried in one arm or dangling via handles from one hand.
    • Approach the car obliquely, until you must cross the aisle to get to your exact car. In this way, you can scan for people hanging about near your car, anyone closely monitoring your movements, or anyone moving as you move.
    • If you've got only a bag to stow, you've got two choices, really:
      • If you've got a car with alarm and a key fob that unlocks/disarms only the trunk, independently of any doors, then feel free to use that. Such a feature on your car allows you to quickly stow your bag.
      • Otherwise, unlock only the driver's door, then stowe your bag there.
    • Do a final visual scan of the backseat and passenger areas, to ensure there is no BG that is sitting there awaiting your return.
    • Enter the car (driver's door), immediately locking the door(s). Be mindful of the number of doors you had unlocked, realizing that a BG can be hiding on the opposite side of your minivan/truck/car during the time you're futzing with the doors on your side. Act accordingly.
    • Immediately start the car and put it into gear, which can help thwart a quick smash-and-grab type crime by someone approaching your now-occupied car.

If you've got a child in tow, you've got a bit of a problem. Here is how I've handled it. Unscientific, this, but it worked for me. You're going to burn time putting a young child into a seat, during which time your head will be down. It's vital that you do this task with another adult you've been shopping with (ie, spouse), else to maintain your radar on high alert. If doing the kid-into-backseat two-step, consider the following arrangement: enter left-rear back door; stand behind door; have cart in front of you, from which you pluck the child; thus blocked by the door and cart, place the child into the seat, maintaining high radar alert during this time. While one can argue that you're boxed in, this way, this technique can keep the child farthest away from an inbound intruder, keep the intruder at bay sufficiently long to draw a weapon (from behind your 'cover'), keep that child out of the sight lines (at least initially). Imperfect, but then being alone while shopping with a child is a roll of the dice, in this respect, with few good options.

Note: The above tips are elements I do, each time I am out and about. The portions relating to working a young child into and out of a car seat come from several years' experience doing solo babysitting with a number of friends' children. You may have other options in mind, or steps that worked for you. These were mine and seemed to work well for me.

JUst exactly why is a 'posted' Florida mall unsafe? I'd have my gun with me...

One would think that prior crimes would have people operating on yellowish-orange...at least in THAT mall.

OMO

Stay armed...stay yellow...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks Archer51. I guess I'm not surprised the news article didn't point that out. Here in PA, there's no penalty for disregarding such signs. You could be arrested for trespassing if asked to leave and you refuse. What's the law in FL?
    Mark,

Essentially the same as for you it sounds like.

The property owner(s) can ask you to leave, then have you arrested for trespassing if you do not comply. Otherwise, it's probably just a lame attempt at avoiding liability if some BG starts shooting up the place.

Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    JUst exactly why is a 'posted' Florida mall unsafe? I'd have my gun with me...
    Because having the means of self-defense would not alter the degree of risk of having a problem, only of the probability of having a certain outcome. It would be no guarantee of surviving an encounter.[/QUOTE]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links