Ugly: Teen recalls hostage drama that ended in death

This is a discussion on Ugly: Teen recalls hostage drama that ended in death within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This is from last month, just found it referenced in another forum... Teen recalls hostage drama that ended in death | KATU.com - Portland, Oregon ...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

This is from last month, just found it referenced in another forum...

Teen recalls hostage drama that ended in death | KATU.com - Portland, Oregon | Local & Regional

CRAWFORDSVILLE, Ore. (AP) - Nicole Street went for a drive to get sparkplugs and gasoline, and then she thought she was a goner.

Taken hostage Saturday by a shouting man at a gasoline station, the 16-year-old high school sophomore figured, "I'm going to die."

But the man eventually was shot to death by a Linn County sheriff's sergeant, Dave Lawler, as Street crouched.

Street described her moments of danger to the Albany Democrat-Herald for a story published Monday.

She said she got her driver's license a month ago and was eager to drive her black Dodge Neon, so she went to a parts store to get plugs for the family motorcycles.

Then she stopped at the Chevron station to fill up her car.

There, Robert Earl Thompson, 51, of Brownsville, was yelling at an employee that he needed $10 worth of gas. His girlfriend, identified as Shirley Coulter, 50, got out of the car and fled into the station with two grandchildren.

Street said she pulled the Neon behind a vehicle on the inside pumps of the station and saw Thompson coming toward her with a shotgun.

"I thought maybe he was helping out at first," Street said.

She rolled down the driver's side window a few inches and when Thompson ordered her to roll it down all the way, she knew something was wrong.

"He told me he needed my help and he wouldn't hurt me, but if I didn't get out of the car, he would have to hurt me," Street told the paper.

As she got out, Thompson grabbed her around the throat and put the 12-gauge shotgun to her head.

He dragged her back and forth in front of the food mart.

"He kept yelling that he wanted to talk to his daughter in Salem, and he wanted a helicopter and a news crew," Street said. "If not, he said he wasn't afraid to shoot me."

At one point, Street said, Thompson attempted to fire the shotgun at her and then at the front of the building. He then tried to break the front door glass with the butt of the gun, but failed.

Then he ordered her to the ground.

He let go of her neck and grabbed the back of her pants by her belt. "He kept yelling at the officer that he was going to shoot me," Nicole said.

She said she kept talking to Thompson to try to calm him, "thinking that if he was talking to me, he might not be thinking about shooting me."

She crouched on the ground and heard a gunshot.

At first, Street thought she had been shot, but when she turned around, she realized it was Thompson who had been hit by bullets from Lawler's AR-15 rifle.

That's when Street ran from the gas station and was helped by neighbors.

Nicole said she doesn't see herself as a victim. "I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time," she said. "Maybe if someone else would have been taken hostage, it would not have worked out so well. I also don't blame the gas station employees for locking the doors. If he had gotten inside, it may have turned out even worse."

The sheriff's office said in a statement Monday that a medical examiner's report showed Thompson died of gunshot wounds, but the office wasn't saying how many he sustained.

Street said she went back to the station on Sunday and talked to staff members and planned Monday to get the gasoline.

"I'm really thankful no one shot my car," she said. "I'm sorry that the officer had to shoot and kill someone to save me, but I'm also very grateful that he did save me."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    I love it when a plan comes together.
    BG ''0"
    GG "1"

Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

"I'm really thankful no one shot my car"

lol, who gives a **** about the car!

Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    "I'm really thankful no one shot my car"

lol, who gives a **** about the car!
    A teenage girl.

Glad everything worked out and the only one hurt was the BG.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Hey the car is worth more than the dirt bag who held a shotgun to this kids head.......
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    A teenage girl.

Glad everything worked out and the only one hurt was the BG.
    Samething I was thinking!!
    "no, don't shot my car anything but that, my parents would kill me!"
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

the fact that she kept talking to the BG prob saved her life. he was prob on something, or realy confused.glad the cop was a good shot.

I don't think a guy walking toward my car with a shotgun is gonna help me pump gas,but i've filled my car up more than once in the 34 years i've been driving.If the story is true it's a good thing the shotgun didn't fire or the outcome woulda been different,and thank god most police departments nowadays carry tactical rifles in their cars,that wasn't always the case.

I live about 10-15minutes away from Brownsville where this happened been by the location of the shooting many times.

Albany Democrat Herald: Mid-Valley News

+1 to Sgt. Dave Lawler for his split second decision to end it all.
    Last edited by f3rr37; March 27th, 2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Links