Man arrested for firing his AK to defend his property

This is a discussion on Man arrested for firing his AK to defend his property within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Next door here in MS, citizens have the right to shoot a fleeing felon squarely in the back 24/7...that said, I doubt those rims add ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Man arrested for firing his AK to defend his property

Next door here in MS, citizens have the right to shoot a fleeing felon squarely in the back 24/7...that said, I doubt those rims add up to a felony. Even if they did, you certainly don't have the right to run through the neighborhood spraying lead into apartment buildings in hot pursuit. What a lunatic...we can protect "our stuff" in MS, just not our neighbors stuff like in TX. He could so easily be facing manslaughter charges right now if one of those rounds killed a person in that building. They need to confiscate that AK and send it to me...I dare say I'd use a little more common sense with it.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

2. Remove Ads

Ah yes, the idiots in my state(and many others) get all the attention while the respectable law-abiding ones, get no press at all. This guy was a complete moron and proved that he lacks the mental capacity to make a decision in a heated situation.

Unfortunately, they will allow complete flakes to carry concealed, just as quickly as the will allow them to drive a motor vehicle. We would have a lot of unarmed citizens as well as many more pedestrians if they tested for stupid prior to issuing out licenses. LOL!

But in all honesty, I do not want to be in this situation ever, but believe if I have to, I would not approach strangers in my yard, trying to take "flashy" rims off of my vehicle. A 911 call would have been made, a few million candles would have been in their eyes with a gun in my hand if any attempt on my life were to be made. I am sure that I would add some choice words and then proceed from that point. Of course it is talk until the point at which the event actually happens.

The guy needs to have his guns taken from him without question. Whatever else happens to him is not up to me. He broke the law and must now face the consequences of his actions. He will have to pay some serious cash for this little stunt though I bet.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Where are all the Joe Horn supporters now?

...apparently many here can draw a distinction between the two that I cannot.
    As others have said, there is a big difference between 3 shotgun rounds at a close distance and firing 30 AK rounds while chasing bad guys down the street. Even LEO's are held accountable to how many rounds they fire in deadly force situations. (Sean Bell case in NYC comes to mind)

Bottom line is this guy handled himself recklessly. His actions seriously endangered the innocent people around him and he should face the music.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

VIP Member
    I submit that Horn handled himself recklessly (perhaps murderously, listening to his 9-1-1 call). Horn's actions seriously endangered the innocent people around him and he should face the music. The only difference is that Horn hit. Had he not, had his rounds hit a schoolbus (it was the middle of the afternoon, remember, people out and about), we'd be singing a far different tune.

Removing yourself from safety, confronting fleeing persons, and firing rifles/shotguns in a populated area is just bad news, IMO...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I think the 7.62 round you used for your charts and graphs are NOT 7.62 X 39 AK rounds... they are .308 or NATO 7.62 X 51.... The AK does not do that great as compared to an AR 5.56 round as you describe. It does however penetrate some bit better... but not that much I don't believe.
    Last edited by cphilip; March 26th, 2008 at 04:07 PM.

VIP Member
    Didn't notice, were the sights mounted on the side of the gun?

VIP Member
    I think Horn actually didn't leave his property.

Agree with Jang on what are reasonable HD weapons, what are not.

However--We had an incident here about 15 years ago. A man walked in on an armed robbery of a jewelry store; perp was holding a gun on several employees and customers. The guy who walked in on this put a gun to the perp and marched him out the door, down the block, and ordered him to run.
    No shots fired. He was hailed as a hero.

The law aside, it isn't necessarily stupid or wrong to get the perps as far away from the trouble spot as is possible.

The guy who sprayed fire down the street wasn't thinking, and is lucky an innocent didn't get hurt, and lucky the perps didn't fire back, but I would be really loath to make a criminal out of him. He did what he thought had to be done at the moment, and he didn't really have time to consider the finest points of self-defense law. Or, the common good sense of staying in his home and calling the cops--then waiting while he watched his wheels being taken.

Not a 'wise' move on the part of the homeowner...

His overreaction is something that may cost him his freedom some day.

Stay armed...use common sense...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Opfor, I am going to play devils advocate here. I am not advocating the actions of either of these guys but I do see some differences. All of Joe Horn's rounds hit their intended targets, so I would be hard pressed to say he was operating his weapon negligently. Would this guy in Louisiana be considered negligent if he took the time and used his sights and actually dropped both of his targets with two shots?
    I don't know the law on the subject in LA but in Texas the law does (arguably) allow Joe Horns actions. The prosecutors and grand jury will have the final word on that though.
    Another argument in Horns favor and against this guy is the choice of weapon used. The AK has an effective range in excess of 400 meters. What is the effective range of a twelve gauge with shot? Even if Horn had loaded slugs there is a much lower probability of a round penetrating a distant building unless by luck he hit a window. Buckshot is a poor barrier penetrator. IIRC at twenty yards only about 20% of the pellets penetrated a pickup tailgate in one test. Can the same be said of the 7.62x39?
    You asked if people would be talking about Horn differently if he had hit a school bus. They probably would be, but the simple fact is he didn't. If there had been a school bus in the area would Horn have even engaged? We don't know.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links