Mixed: Neighbor Apprehends Burglar

This is a discussion on Mixed: Neighbor Apprehends Burglar within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Local Story Here Man Takes "Neighborhood Watch' To Next Level Video Available - Use the Above Link 3/27/2008 Fresno (KFSN) -- A Fresno man who ...

Thread: Mixed: Neighbor Apprehends Burglar

Mixed: Neighbor Apprehends Burglar

Local Story Here

Man Takes "Neighborhood Watch' To Next Level

Video Available - Use the Above Link

3/27/2008 Fresno (KFSN) -- A Fresno man who caught someone trying to break into his neighbor's home this week used a shotgun to hold the suspect until police arrived. The suspect was arrested but the reaction to the man's neighborly conduct is mixed.

Miranda Uhrig was sleeping as a man went into her backyard and started looking around. "About five feet away from me, this guy was in there going through stuff taking my things five feet away from my door," Uhrig said.

Uhrig's neighbor noticed something was going on and called police to report the crime. "The citizen also reported that he was armed with a shotgun, the citizen was, and he had the suspect detained," said Sgt. Rich Escalante with the Fresno Police Department.

41-year-old Leland Vasquez was taken into custody when police arrived. Police said Vasquez had just been paroled for theft when he was caught apparently trying to steal aluminum cans. Vasquez is also accused of trying to get into the house by prying on doors and windows. Miranda Uhrig is grateful her neighbor took action. "Honestly, it's nice to know that you have people down here that actually care enough to do something for you when something's happening," said Uhrig.

Sgt. Escalante says Uhrig's neighbor got into a little trouble with police over the incident. "The citizen was actually told by the communication center, our dispatchers, to put down the gun before the officers arrived. Unfortunately, he did not, so when the officers arrived they were a little concerned for their safety." Escalante said the neighbor was briefly detained but eventually released.

Police Chief Jerry Dyer says it is good that neighbors are watching out for each other, but he also urged people to think twice about using a gun to detain a suspect. "If a person is going to take that next step and arm themselves with a firearm and detain somebody they suspect of being involved in a crime, it's important that that person feel very confident and trained with that firearm before they do that," said Dyer.

Police say if you ever witness a crime in progress, you should stay inside and call police with a suspect description and a direction of travel, if he or she leaves. The armed neighbor didn't want to talk on camera about this incident, but he told Action News he did get a 'good talking to' by Fresno Police.
    Like I said, mixed feelings. I like that the Police Chief is advocating training and practice rather than suggesting that people shouldn't have arms all together.

Dyer is actually an alright guy when all things are considered. JMO
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    I wouldn't have put my shotgun down before the Police got there either
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Actually, I think it's pretty good. The Chief's statement isn't that you need to be trained just to have a gun, it's about knowing what you are doing if you try to hold a suspect, and that is not bad advice.

I see a problem with them telling the neighbor to drop the gun before police arrive. If he is holding a suspect, that's just not possible. There's a felon right there, so you need to control the weapon. If you get it entirely out of the picture, you are no longer holding the suspect and the whole exercise is for naught.

Glad that the homeowner appreciated the neighbor's actions!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Well chalk me up as one who thinks the neighbor never should have left his home but rather called the police, unless of course he thought the BG was going to go in the house where an innocent person was.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

An aquaintence of mine had a similar situation.

His car alarm was going off all of the time and he and his neghbors were getting their cars broken into, regularly. One night he hears his alarm going off, grabs his 9mm and his phone and runs out to his car. There is a 16 year old punk rifling through his stuff. He draws on the guy, makes him lay face down on the ground and literally sits on him until the police arrived. The BG actually ended up peeing his pants. The police had no problems with his tactics what-so-ever.

VIP Member
    I detained a couple of prone postioned BG's one day with a shotgun out in the middle of a rural highway. The leo's were on a manhunt for both of them. A few minutes later about five or six patrol cars rolled up where we were. The leo's hit the ground running toward the BG's to cuff them. I didn't budge from my position as I continued to cover the BG's while they were cuffed and frisked.

I think it was pretty clear to the leo's who were the threats, and they were able to evaluate, as they drove up, that I didn't pose any threat to them whatsoever. A quick glance at their body language told me they were interested in the two guys laying on the road....not me! Had a leo dispatch advised me to lay down my shotgun prior to the police arriving I would not have complied, and told them so. Had I unarmed myself, I'm sure the BG's would have ran off again, they may have attempted to overwhelm me and take my weapon/vehicle as well. As the leo's arrived, had one of them told me to put down my weapon I would have gladly complied since they were on the scene at that point. Although these leo's never batted an eye at me keeping the BG's covered for them.

I can see how an armed homeowner in an urban location could make the police nervous if they were to suddenly step around the corner armed in the presence of the police. As usual every scenario is different.

No intentions on hijacking your thread here, but I experienced a very similar scenario and thought it would be applicable to the story.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

+1 ppkheat Good Job!

I'm all about disarming when officers on the scene request me to. As they are there to handle the situation, I'm going to comply.

I am not however going to respond in kind to what a dispatcher suggests before LEO arrive on scene and take charge. That is just stupid in my opinion.

Is the dispatcher going to hold the BG's at gunpoint when I put my weapon down and become vulnerable to attack?
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Links