Pharmacist Wrestles Shotgun Away From Robber

This is a discussion on Pharmacist Wrestles Shotgun Away From Robber within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; MidHudsonMostWanted.Com CARMEL – A gunman who tried to rob a Carmel pharmacy Tuesday afternoon was subdued by the pharmacist after a violent struggle. The robber, ...

Thread: Pharmacist Wrestles Shotgun Away From Robber

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

MidHudsonMostWanted.Com

CARMEL – A gunman who tried to rob a Carmel pharmacy Tuesday afternoon was subdued by the pharmacist after a violent struggle.

The robber, armed with a sawed-off shotgun, attempted to rob the store of narcotics.

The incident unfolded at about 12:35 p.m. at the Rite Aid Pharmacy in the ShopRite Plaza on Route 52 in Carmel.

The suspect, identified as David Both, 49, of Kent, allegedly walked up to the pharmacy counter, pulled the shotgun and demanded narcotics from the pharmacy staff.

Both then walked around behind the counter as the pharmacist, Mark Gallagher, complied with his demands by placing drugs into a bag.

When the suspect pointed the shotgun toward two female employees, Gallagher, who later told police he feared the suspect was going to shoot the women, grabbed the weapon. After a struggle, the pharmacist was able to wrest control of the gun from Both and fought him off.

Someone in the store called 911 and patrols from the Putnam, Sheriff’s Office, Carmel and Ken Police and the State Police rushed to the store. Both was taken into custody.

As a deputy was unloading the shotgun, police said it accidentally discharged and fired a slug into a rear wall of the store. No one was injured. Police think the gun may have gone off because it was damaged during the struggle.

Gallagher was not injured in the altercation.

Another store employee, a 64-year-old woman, later experienced chest pains while be interviewed at the Sheriff’s Office. She was taken to the hospital for evaluation.

Both was charged with attempted robbery in the first degree.
    Glad to hear things worked out well, but I am at a loss to figure out how the shotgun was damaged to the point that unloading it caused it to fire?
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I would be interested to hear exactly how the shotgun "just went off" as well.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    I would be interested to hear exactly how the shotgun "just went off" as well.
    Perhaps...his finger was 'just on the trigger'?

Glad the dirtbag thief was caught and will, hopefully, get a very long vacation.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    Shotguns are about as fragile as a rock. Unless they were pounding it on the floor it would be hard to damage.

Most likely there was a finger on the trigger when it discharged. I'm glad no one was hurt when that ND happened.

Fitch

Here comes the BAFTE! It must be an "Auto Fire" type weapon. Better arrest the pharmacist for being in possesion of a outlawed gun.

I'll bet the security footage of the "damaged discharge" is in police custody.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Perhaps...his finger was 'just on the trigger'?

Glad the dirtbag thief was caught and will, hopefully, get a very long vacation.

+1
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Glad everything worked out well. Unless you count the ND, though the only casualty with that was a wall....
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

That was an extremely bold pharmacist to grab a sawed off 12 gauge. Pin a medal on him for valor above and beyond the call of duty. Perhaps that officer should spend a little more time at the range.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Thanks for the post! Just forwarded this to my father-in-law. He is a relief pharmacist for the State of Texas and travels to various pharmacies all over TX to offer coverage. He recently got his concealed carry and carried his full size Colt 1911.

Guess I should convince him to join the forum while I'm at it.
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

Yeah, it's funny to hear how the pharmacist and BG could wrestle around with a shotgun fighting for posession and not have it go off, but a LEO is unloading it and it magically goes off.

+1 on charging the pharmacist with unlawful posession of a restricted weapon. We can't let just anybody have possession of a restricted item. Especially restricted items that go off all by themselves.

We should also charge the BG with unlawful transfer of a restricted item since the pharmacist ended up with it.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I'm an expert i'll unload that weapon....bang ...there it's unloaded
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    MidHudsonMostWanted.Com

Glad to hear things worked out well, but I am at a loss to figure out how the shotgun was damaged to the point that unloading it caused it to fire?
    Agreed. I'm afraid their may have been a boo boo on the part of deputy Thud.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    You know it must have been damaged, because only the police are competent to...er...never mind.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

As a deputy was unloading the shotgun, police said it accidentally discharged and fired a slug into a rear wall of the store. No one was injured. Police think the gun may have gone off because it was damaged during the struggle.

My wife is a retail pharmacist for one of the chain stores, and let me tell ya, it can be a dangerous profession. She has busted many people for various things like fake scrips, theft, things pertaining to meth lab production. She has had numerous threats against her from people. Also, she had a guy that was on psycho meds who stalked her for about six mouth which finally ended when he was arrested and committed to a mental institution. Unfortunate for most pharmacist, it's against company policy to carry.

Sponsored Links