Good, and Ugly: Son Shoots And Kills Abusive Father

This is a discussion on Good, and Ugly: Son Shoots And Kills Abusive Father within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Columbus Dispatch : Dad fatally shot as he tried to 'jump on' son, ex-wife told 911 A South Side man fatally shot his father ...

Thread: Good, and Ugly: Son Shoots And Kills Abusive Father

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Good, and Ugly: Son Shoots And Kills Abusive Father

The Columbus Dispatch : Dad fatally shot as he tried to 'jump on' son, ex-wife told 911

A South Side man fatally shot his father Monday after the father "went to jump on" him during a fight in the family home, according to a 911 call to police.

In a weary, subdued voice, Janice Carson detailed in the tape-recorded call the moments that led up to the killing of Steven J. Carson about 3:40 p.m. inside her home at 1348 Oakwood Ave.

Steven Carson, 51, no longer lived there, Janice Carson said, but she didn't explain why he was in the house.

"My ex-husband came in and went to jump on my son, and my son has shot his father," she told the call-taker.

Steven Carson was shot once, according to police. In an inventory of items police said they took during a search of the home were a .45-caliber Ruger handgun, a shell casing and a pillowcase.

Homicide detectives have not charged the son, identified in various police and court documents as Derick W. Carson, 23. They said the younger Carson might have acted in self-defense, and the case will be presented to a grand jury.

A woman who answered the front door of the home yesterday politely declined to comment, calling the shooting a devastating family tragedy.

In 2000, Steven Carson was charged with aggravated menacing and domestic violence, according to Franklin County Municipal Court records. Arrest documents accused him of threatening to kill Janice Carson, and he ultimately was given a 180-day suspended jail sentence and placed on probation for two years.

During Monday's 911 call, the Carson home was quiet except for Janice Carson's voice. She said she thought Steven Carson was dead and that her son had dropped the gun after the shooting and was seated on the stairs.

"He's in shock," she said.

She told the call-taker that her son wasn't injured.

"He ran from his father," she said.

Later in the call, Janice Carson could be heard saying, "Here, Derick, give me the gun. Sit down."

She then told the call-taker that she was holding her son, and quiet sobbing is heard.

"It'll be all right, Derick," she said. "It'll be all right."

Moments later, police officers are heard at the door.
    Sad situation all the way around. Hopefully the kid and his mom will be able to get over this tragedy and get on with their lives.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

It has to be a sad situation when you have to shoot your own father. That would be tough to deal with.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Sounds like Daddy needed shot though.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Sounds like daddy should of taken anger management.too late now,and i don't care who you are at 23 your son is a man and should be treated as such,would you attack another man and expect any less.Not to mention he was in a house he didn't live in.I feel for the young man had to shoot his own father,but nobody should ever have to feel that afraid of somebody that is suppose to love them and watch out for them
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links