Good: Pizza Delivery Man Shoots Robber UPDATE:Changed from Neutral to Good - Page 3

Good: Pizza Delivery Man Shoots Robber UPDATE:Changed from Neutral to Good

This is a discussion on Good: Pizza Delivery Man Shoots Robber UPDATE:Changed from Neutral to Good within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well it is official, Mr Spiers has been let go by Pizza Hut: Pink slip delivered to 'Pizza Man' | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Good: Pizza Delivery Man Shoots Robber UPDATE:Changed from Neutral to Good

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Well it is official, Mr Spiers has been let go by Pizza Hut:

Pink slip delivered to 'Pizza Man' | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

A Des Moines pizza delivery driver who was suspended after he shot an alleged armed robber said today that he has been fired.

James William Spiers III, 38, said Pizza Hut officials asked for his resignation in exchange for at least two months' pay and counseling.

"I was terminated, but they’re not going to kick me to the curb," he said. "When they terminated me, I had asked if they could provide me with counseling. That’s all I asked for."

Spiers fired multiple shots at a man who allegedly put a gun to his head on March 28 and demanded money at the Sutton Hill Apartments, 2100 S.E. King Ave.

The suspect, Kenneth Jimmerson, 19, was arrested when he later called for medical help. Jimmerson, who police say suffered at least three gunshot wounds, survived his injuries and faces a first-degree robbery charge. Melanie Stout, 18, who allegedly called in the pizza order, is charged with conspiracy.

Spiers, who has a valid handgun permit, said it was the first time in 10 years on the job that he had been a robbery victim. Public reaction was immediate and overwhelmingly in favor of Spiers.

But Vonnie Walbert, vice president of human resources at Pizza Hut's corporate offices in Dallas, said earlier this month that employees are not allowed to carry guns "because we believe that that is the safest for everybody."

"Now the area regional manager is going to offer me a paycheck for the next couple of months, minimum wage every two weeks," Spiers said. "They can’t make up for tips."

Police said that when officers arrived, Spiers had both handguns, and the wounded robber had fled.

"My life was, without a doubt, in danger. I wouldn't have shot anybody if I didn't think my life was in danger." Spiers said. "In my circumstance, there was no way out."

A state senator said he would stop buying Pizza Hut products if the pizza chain fired Spiers. Register readers threatened similar boycotts.

"I think what he did was the right thing," Sen. Brad Zaun, a Republican from Urbandale, said earlier this month. "If was in a situation to protect my family, protect myself, to continue being a father, I would've done the same thing."

Zaun said today that the news seals his decision to stop buying from Pizza Hut.

“I think it’s the wrong decision by Pizza Hut and I will not be buying any more Pizza Hut products,” he said. “You tell me any Iowan that was in his situation, that had a gun put to his head, how they would’ve reacted differently.”

He said he does give the pizza chain some credit for providing Spiers with some counseling.

But Zaun said he hopes other Iowans will follow his boycott lead.

“I would just encourage everybody to reconsider their decision when they’re considering patronizing Pizza Hut,” he said.
    Too bad for Mr. Spiers, but hopefully a business owner in the community has recognized what an asset Mr. Spiers would be and will offer him a better job.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Somewhere out in the Cosmos, Mr. Walbert's (Pizza Hut HR V-P) opportunity to meet a gunman demanding his wallet might just give him a different outlook on people being able to defend him/her self...
    Hope it doesn't happen, but in today's world, chances get better each day...dirtbags are multiplying like flies.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

So this guy says on his MySpace page he makes 75-100K/year and he's robbing pizza delivery drivers?
    These perps are human garbage,too bad the pizza guy didn't take him out for good. Take a good look at the photos,this is partially where your hard earned tax dollars go.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

Well, two or three more of these types of incidents that are Pizza Hut specific, will start turning into "Administrative Leave" pending a review of the personnel file. Then after the media dust settles, and the employee signs a "non disclosure" statement with the company, they will be back on the job.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by press1280 View Post
    So this guy says on his MySpace page he makes 75-100K/year and he's robbing pizza delivery drivers?
    These perps are human garbage,too bad the pizza guy didn't take him out for good. Take a good look at the photos,this is partially where your hard earned tax dollars go.
    That income is a lie. Nobody robs a pizza guy if they have that much money.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    That income is a lie. Nobody robs a pizza guy if they have that much money.
    I'm shocked. A criminal that lies... when will the wonders cease?

He makes 75-100k a year robbing people,at least in his dreams
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    He makes 75-100k a year robbing people,at least in his dreams
    Volume!

-JT

Quote Originally Posted by jofrdo View Post
    Why not have the policy and just not enforce it? Then, they lower their risk while still "allowing" (wink-wink) their drivers to defend themselves.
    Actually, that's how companies *really* get taken to the legal cleaners. Having policies that they -- wink-wink, nudge-nudge -- don't enforce.

If they have the policy, they pretty much are forced to fire him.

It's too bad companies 1) feel the need to impose restrictions on their employees above and beyond what the law already outlines, 2) aren't rational where the employees safety is concerned, and 3) don't understand the moral obligation you take on when you remove someone's ability and right to defend themselves.

-john

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by bzdog View Post
    Actually, that's how companies *really* get taken to the legal cleaners. Having policies that they -- wink-wink, nudge-nudge -- don't enforce.

If they have the policy, they pretty much are forced to fire him.

It's too bad companies 1) feel the need to impose restrictions on their employees above and beyond what the law already outlines, 2) aren't rational where the employees safety is concerned, and 3) don't understand the moral obligation you take on when you remove someone's ability and right to defend themselves.

-john
    The needs of the many (Stockholders/Board of Directors) outweigh the needs of the one (employee).
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links