Good: Pizza Delivery Man Shoots Robber UPDATE:Changed from Neutral to Good

This is a discussion on Good: Pizza Delivery Man Shoots Robber UPDATE:Changed from Neutral to Good within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Pizza Man Shoots Would-Be Robber DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) _ Police say a pizza delivery man shot an attempted robber in Des Moines. Officials say ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good: Pizza Delivery Man Shoots Robber UPDATE:Changed from Neutral to Good

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Pizza Man Shoots Would-Be Robber

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) _ Police say a pizza delivery man shot an attempted robber in Des Moines.

Officials say they received a call late Thursday from the delivery man, saying another man tried to rob him at gunpoint. Police say the delivery man shot the alleged robber.

Another call came in to authorities reporting a man was shot on the second floor of an apartment building.

Authorities say the man who was shot was in serious condition at a nearby hospital. The delivery man surrendered to police at the scene. The investigation is continuing.
    I put neutral on the title as their isn't enough information to determine if it was a good shoot or not. Hopefully things turn out alright for the driver.
    Last edited by CT-Mike; March 29th, 2008 at 03:33 PM.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

+1 I will reserve comment until more details are known.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Update - New Info Here

Pizza delivery man allegedly shoots attempted robber

Associated Press - March 28, 2008 11:24 AM ET

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - A man who police say was shot when he tried to rob a pizza delivery man has been charged with robbery.

Sgt. Vince Valdez says 19-year-old Kenneth Jimmerson of Des Moines tried to rob the delivery man, James Spiers, at gunpoint Thursday night. Valdez says that Spiers had his own gun and shot Jimmerson.

Jimmerson has been charged with first-degree robbery. His fiance, 18-year-old Melanie Stout of Des Moines, is charged with conspiracy to commit robbery.

Valdez says Jimmerson will be taken to jail after he's released from the hospital. He says it's not clear if Spiers will be charged.

The investigation is continuing.

Sounds like a good shoot to me. I hope he was legally carrying his weapon. I would hate to see him get charged for that after having to use it to defend himself.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I say any time a pizza guy shoots, it is more than likely a good shoot.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Sounds like a good shoot. The only remaining question is whether or not the delivery guy was carrying lawfully. Hope he was.

Highly reminiscent of how Rich Davis - the "father" of modern soft-body armor - got the inspiration for what eventually became Last Chance armor.

I wanted Cheese and Sausage, *&%^%%&^(*!!!!!!!!

I'll wait for the facts!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

One wouldn't think that a guy who is WORKING a pizza job was out looking for trouble...we'll see!

If you try to rob someone, you deserve nothing less than lead!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
    I say any time a pizza guy shoots, it is more than likely a good shoot.
    I'm inclined to agree. They're out there in the wee hours forced to go into some shady places carrying a money bag. The poor kids are asking to get robbed. Dominoes should issue glocks to their drivers.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Found an update here:

Update: Arrest made in pizza shooting | DesMoinesRegister.com | The Des Moines Register

A pizza deliveryman told Des Moines police that he shot a man who robbed him at gunpoint when he delivered a pie late Thursday to a south-side address.

The alleged assailant, Kenneth Jimmerson, 19, was taken to Mercy Medical Center in serious condition. He was charged this morning with first-degree robbery and will be taken to Polk County Jail when released from the hospital, police said.

Melanie Stout, 18, the woman who placed the order for the pizzas, was charged with conspiracy to commit robbery.

Restaurant officials have suspended the Pizza Hut driver, James William Spiers, while the case is under investigation. Polk County officials today confirmed that Spiers holds a valid gun permit, which was renewed in November.

Spiers said the incident happened at an apartment building in the 2000 block of Southeast King Avenue.

Spiers, 38, of Des Moines, told police that when he arrived at the entrance of the building, a man put a gun to Spiers head and robbed him of an undisclosed amount of cash.

Spiers said that he grabbed the man's gun, pulled out a weapon of his own, and shot the man in the side, according to a police report.

Vonnie Walbert, vice president of human resources at Pizza Hut, said:

“We have policy against carrying weapons. We prohibit employees from carrying guns because we believe that that is the safest for everybody.”

Walbert said Pizza Hut trains employees to report such incidences to police.

Spiers called police after the wounded suspect fled.

Officers said Spiers was in the parking lot when they arrived shortly after 10:30 p.m. and that he immediately raised his hands up and knelt to the ground.

Officers said Spiers told them “that he had a gun in each of his front coat pockets.”

The officer found a metallic gun from the left pocket of Spiers’ coat and a black handgun in the right hand pocket.

Spiers was taken to the police station for questioning.

Dispatchers then received a call from a man on the second floor of a neighboring apartment building who said he had been shot.
    Sounds to me like Mr. Spiers did everything right, except adhering to his companies "no weapons, call the police, that is safest for everybody" policy. I am quite sure that he will be looking for a new job, but hopefully a business owner will read this story and want to have such a person as Mr. Spiers working for him/her. I know I would hire him in a minute.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

“We have policy against carrying weapons. We prohibit employees from carrying guns because we believe that that is the safest for everybody.”
    Safest for everybody. They believe that, truly? Most 7yr old children know the Tooth Fairie is a fantasy. Yet, millions of adults are so deluded as to believe having no ability to defend yourself is better in a situation where a BG has a deadly weapon.

The sentiment should be amended: "Better for felons. Better for everyone except the innocent."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Well he did follow the company policy of calling the police. Just that he called after giving the BG what he asked for!! As for Pizza Hut, another case of corporate america implimenting feel good policies that only put their employees at risk. Sad that they have their heads in the "up and locked" position. Hopefully someone will recognize Mr. Spiers worth and offer him a job with growth potential and real security. Good job Mr Spiers and s***w Pizza Hut!!

Hopefully he won't be fired like Honeycutt was in Indiana for defending himself after he's cleared. Still don't buy that companies pizza and never will.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Note to self; Add Pizza Hut to the "Do Not Buy List".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links