Good: LEO 1, BG 0

Good: LEO 1, BG 0

This is a discussion on Good: LEO 1, BG 0 within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Officer-involved shooting leaves 1 dead | News for New Orleans, Louisiana | Local News | News for New Orleans, Louisiana | wwltv.com...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good: LEO 1, BG 0

Senior Moderator
    Could have been ugly. Good job on the officer's part. As for the BG, well, when you are a bad guy, bad things can happen to you.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

The officer responded correctly. One less dope dealer on the streets is a small victory for the community.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Looks like LEARN won't be learning anymore.
    Good for the deputy and the sheriff
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    Normand said that deputies are trained to ‘shoot to kill.’
    Good result, bad quote.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Well done. If this kind of thing keeps up, well be seeing more assault rifles carried by LEOS.

GPS
    Our Jefferson Parish Sheriffs are not known for being too politically correct. Normand learned from the late Sheriff Harry Lee, who had a big heart but often let his mouth get the better of him. He was, however, a most effective Sheriff. Jefferson usually doesn't put up with the criminal element that keeps trying to ooze out of New Orleans.
    Cordially,
    GPS

Visit U.S. Concealed Carry - The Ultimate Resource for the Armed Citizen http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/inde...ffID=GStrecker

then pointed a semi-automatic at them
    At least they got that right. Good job by the Deputies.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Sheriff has a good attitude!

-Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

nice article. BG got served what he deserved.

I know, politically correct says to say you were shooting to stop the threat. And when television fed people say, "Why didn't you just shoot him in the arm?", what do you say?
    We shoot to kill to protect our society from criminals who will be released and out on the street before we get finished with the paperwork. We won't tolerate such garbage on our streets. We need to speak like men instead of emasculated eunuchs!!
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    Sorry, didn't realize I was an emasculated eunuch because I do shoot to stop the threat. Generally, that means aiming center mass of the target presented, and this generally means mid torso. It also generally means as many rounds down range as it takes, as quickly as I can accurately place them. I must have missed the part where my manhood fell off during this process...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Deputy kills suspect after car chase
    07:40 PM CDT on Friday, March 28, 2008
    WWL-TV
    A man that Jefferson Parish deputies say led them on a chase and then pointed a semi-automatic at them was shot and killed just after midnight.

JPSO

Sheriff Newell Normand said that deputies were trying to pull over 22-year-old Learn Manuel Jr. for speeding when he took them on a chase that ended in Marrero.

Normand said when the chase ended on Pritchard Road in Marrero, Manuel pointed an AK-47 at deputies and refused several requests to drop the weapon before he was fired upon.

Normand said deputies found two small bags of marijuana and more than $700 in Manuel’s car.

Even though Manuel did not have a lengthy criminal record, Normand defended his deputies’ actions.

“I don’t hire my folks to be killed,” he said. “We’re not going to tolerate this kind of behavior. It is totally unacceptable to point a gun at an officer.

Normand
    said that deputies are trained to ‘shoot to kill.’

“These street thugs that are out there carrying weapons like this, they don’t shoot to injure.”

Normand said his officers continue to face strong firepower from criminals and that he is considering arming his deputies with similar high-powered weaponry.

“If this is gonna continue to be the particular weapon of choice, we're gonna match it,” he said. “I'm gonna put my officers in the best position to protect their lives, so that they can go home to their wives, their moms, their dads and their kids.”

Good training...nice ending!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

There are lot of departments that are trained to 'shoot to kill'.

If somebody wants to say stop instead of kill, than that's his right.

Training to shoot COM and to put as many rounds as necessary to ensure the threat stops moving, is shooting to kill. The scemantics comes into saying that my intention was not to kill, but to stop, and in my mind that is a very small difference.

If those officers are 'shooting to kill', and the suspect drops to the ground and loses posession of his weapon after one wound to the shoulder, then the officer's aren't going to go up and keep shooting until the suspect is dead.

It's all about wording. If stop makes you feel better than kill, than fine. Use stop.

For me, I train to shoot to incapacitate the threat as quickly as possible. For me, that means damage to CNS, with as many shots as neccesary to achieve that, which will most likely be fatal. Them's the breaks. A man who takes a bullet wound to the heart still has voluntary function for about 13 seconds. If a shot of mine destroys somebody's heart, but they are still moving, the threat is not stopped.

It is the threats mindset that determines how many shot's I am going to fire. Not my own. If he keeps coming, he keeps getting shot. If he drops after 1, than no more shots are necessary.

I guess IMHO, if lethal force is justified, I don't feel I need to say that I wasn't trying to use lethal force.

Glad the BG got shot. The LEO probably waited to long to fire, but glad everything worked out. If a guy is pointing an AK at me, and all I have is a handgun, I can only hope that I could do as well.

And I hope Abuttermilk was joking when he implied that masculinity or lack thereof had any place in a discussion on firearms or use of lethal force. If somebody thinks that being a man has something to do with shooting to kill, I would just about have to go with the Brady's on this one, that someone has no business owning a firearm.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    Here's the thing: Shooting 'to kill' means just that; if the threat is stopped, you will continue to shoot until your objective - death - is met. Shooting to stop means just that; when the threat is stopped - be it by death, incapacitation, or a lack of will to continue the fight - then you stop shooting.

Words mean things. Say what you mean, and mean what you say. Reference the joke that ends with a cop smacking a guy with a billy club - the cop asks, "do you want me to slow down, or do you want me to stop?" If you shoot "to kill," good for you, and may you never have to do it. I shoot to stop. If that bars me admission to the "he-man-super-killer-club," so be it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links