Murder of VCU student, after robbery while walking away

This is a discussion on Murder of VCU student, after robbery while walking away within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; WRIC Richmond News and Weather - Arrest Made In VCU Student's Murder Richmond Police are investigating the Wednesday night carjacking and murder of a VCU ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Murder of VCU student, after robbery while walking away

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Murder of VCU student, after robbery while walking away

WRIC Richmond News and Weather - Arrest Made In VCU Student's Murder

Richmond Police are investigating the Wednesday night carjacking and murder of a VCU student near the Byrd Park tennis courts.

According to police, the victim was found behind the courts off of Sheppard Street early Thursday morning. He had been shot in the back.

The victim has been identified as 19-year-old VCU student and Mount Jackson native Tyler Binsted. Authorities believe the motive in the homicide was robbery.

According to a VCU news release, Binsted and a friend were robbed of their car keys by two black juveniles. As the victims walked away, one of the suspects allegedly shot Binsted in the back. Binsted was pronounced dead on scene.

Late Thursday, Police arrested 17-year-old Howard Scott in connection with Binsted's death.

Police are on the look out for another teen suspect last seen driving a blue, 4-door Honda Accord with a Virginia rescue squad license plate.

Anyone with information is asked to call Crime Stoppers at 780-1000.
    Attached Images
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    And the wonder why we carry.
    Even when one complies with the BG, you still get shot in the back.
    I'd rather it be me shooting the BG in the front.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Ugh. Stupid VCU, can't carry on VCU anyway, it drives me up the wall. Alot of stuff downtown at VCU I goto,and I have to be ridiculously careful

I'm really surprised...he looks like such a nice 'clean-cut' kid...
    Hope there is an increased 'electric bill' in the state prison, REAL SOON!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    But the Brady Bunch tells us that we're safer if we comply with the BGs demands. They couldn't be wrong could they? </endsarcasm>

I hated VCU for the six months I was there before I graduated after obtaining my CHP. After all the BS e-mails with subject "incident last night at XXXX" and ending with "fortunately, no students were harmed." My friends wondered why I kept a "scary black rifle" in my closet of my 1st floor apartment.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

It makes no sense to trust your safety to the good will of bad people.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

According to a VCU news release ... As the victims walked away, one of the suspects allegedly shot Binsted in the back.
    No surprises, there. The BG is just the latest in a string of wannabe "big men" who think Brownie Points are scored via mayhem and murder. May he receive just desserts in prison by a group of behemoths named "Knuckles."

... Crime Stoppers ...
    Crime Trackers, really, which is about all that can be expected in a victim disarmament zone.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I have a very low opinion of VCU due to their police force's handling/bungling of the kidnapping and murder of Taylor Behl. This just gives me one more reason to avoid that campus like the plague.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

We have turned a corner in the crime department. There are people who kill their victims for fun, for reputation, or for no reason at all. It would not surprise me if we become an entirely armed society. Unfortunately, it could just as easily become a police state with none of us armed.

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    But the Brady Bunch tells us that we're safer if we comply with the BGs demands. They couldn't be wrong could they? </endsarcasm>
    It depends. Compliance works well about 87% of the time according to FBI stats of a few years ago. I personally don't think those stats are good enough for me, but they are good. They are higher than typical police or civie hit ratios, for example.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by mojust View Post
    We have turned a corner in the crime department. There are people who kill their victims for fun, for reputation, or for no reason at all. It would not surprise me if we become an entirely armed society. Unfortunately, it could just as easily become a police state with none of us armed.
    I agree..either this or maybe the rise of some vigilante groups...

In my years as a deputy marshal, I saw too many cases of victims cooperating and complying and still getting beat, hurt, killed and worse.
    The "worse" was my first investigation.
    Rape.
    Victim was a paramedic, a friend of mine; I caught up with the perp after he'd been shanked in a Columbus alley, and was laid out on the coroner's slab.
    It was too late. He'd returned on my weekend off. This time he beat his victim to death.
    Comply and die.
    I taught a number of local women, shortly after that, how to handle a handgun.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    It is because of stories like this that my wife and I are both armed, and carry whenever possible. As the statement goes, I carry because I can't carry a cop.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Update; shocking revelation, victim sought help from accomplices

**One of these victims had Rescue Squad license plates. Very sad.**

Details emerge in death of student - News - inRich.com

Details emerge in death of student
    Girlfriend unknowingly got in getaway car after shooting, authorities say

Saturday, May 17, 2008 - 12:09 AM Updated: 11:14 PM

By JOE MACENKA
    TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

The young woman was running for her life.

The 21-year-old Virginia Commonwealth University student just had watched as her boyfriend, Tyler J. Binsted, had been shot after two robbers confronted the pair as they were walking in Byrd Park shortly after midnight.

In the frantic moments that followed, the woman ran to the first car she saw -- a car she would later discover that authorities say was being driven by the getaway driver for the two people who just had attacked them.

Those chilling details emerged in a Richmond courtroom yesterday during the arraignments for two women arrested Thursday in connection with the March 27 slaying of Binsted.

Zsabriela Evelyn Williams, 19, of the 5200 block of Wingfield Street and LaPrecious Nicole Austin, 19, of the 2700 block of Nine Mile Road, were ordered held without bond for their alleged roles in the attacks that led to the death of Binsted, a 19-year-old VCU sophomore.

Binsted's girlfriend, who has asked not to be identified, was not called to testify yesterday when Williams and Austin made separate, brief appearances before General District Judge Phillip L. Hairston.

. . .

But Supervising Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Elizabeth A. Hobbs laid out the scenario of how the alleged chance encounter between Binsted's girlfriend and Austin could have turned one shooting death into a double homicide.

"This was a senseless crime," Hobbs said.

Binsted and his girlfriend were walking near Byrd Park's tennis courts when two people accosted them, robbed them at gunpoint, and ordered them into the trunk of the girlfriend's car.

Binsted refused and shut the trunk. He and his girlfriend started walking away and then ran, with Binsted positioning himself between her and the two attackers.

Binsted was shot in the back and died. His girlfriend, who later said she believed Binsted saved her life with his actions, raced from the park, looking for someone -- anyone -- to help her get away from her attackers.

Hobbs said that it was at this point that Austin, who earlier allegedly had dropped off Williams and Howard Reed Scott III, was driving back to the park to retrieve them. That's when the girlfriend, seeing no other cars in the area, ran up to Austin.

"The victim unwittingly got into this defendant's car," Hobbs said, "and was driven away."

The girlfriend frantically begged Austin to drive her to get help, Hobbs said. But Austin, apparently conflicted by her alleged duties to be the getaway driver for Williams and Scott, repeatedly told Austin she could not help her, the prosecutor said.

After Austin drove her a short distance, the girlfriend got out of the vehicle to seek help elsewhere, and Austin drove away, Hobbs said.

The girlfriend, who did not learn until Thursday that the car she had jumped into was the alleged getaway vehicle, declined to comment yesterday.

. . .

Scott, 17, of Silver Avenue in South Richmond, was arrested within hours of the crime and charged with murder and two counts each of robbery and using a firearm in a felony. He is in custody awaiting trial.

The short, slightly built Williams, charged with conspiracy to commit murder, was wearing an orange jail jumpsuit and orange slippers yesterday for her arraignment. When Williams told Hairston she could not afford a lawyer, the judge appointed James L. McLemore to represent her.

Minutes later, the tall, heavyset Austin was led into court wearing black slacks, a red shirt and black baseball cap. Charged with conspiracy to commit robbery, Austin was represented by Wayne R. Morgan, who asked Hairston to set a reasonable bond, citing, among other factors, her family ties to the Church Hill area of Richmond.

But after Hobbs detailed Austin's criminal record, Hairston declined to offer Austin bond.

Austin, who had been standing with her hands at her side, raised them above her head, yanked off her baseball cap and moaned.

"No, man, no," she protested. "I want another lawyer -- for real."

Two deputies restrained her, and Hairston warned her she was at risk of being cited for contempt.

The judge set June 19 for preliminary hearings for Williams and Austin.

Richmond Circuit Court records show Williams was convicted last year of possession of cocaine and sentenced to five years in prison, but four years and 10 months of that sentence was suspended.

She also pleaded guilty to robbery in 2004 for a 2003 incident in Richmond, when she was 14, according to online records; her sentence for that charge could not be determined. A charge of use of a firearm in a felony in connection with the 2003 incident was not prosecuted.

Austin was found guilty in Richmond in 2006 of possession of cocaine with intent to distribute it, according to court records. She was sentenced to five years in prison, with four years and three months suspended.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links