Good Samaritan shot to death

This is a discussion on Good Samaritan shot to death within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I believe this happened in Marionville, Missouri. Fatal shootings follow Marionville traffic crash | News-Leader.com | Springfield News-Leader Marionville -- An intersection known for serious ...

Thread: Good Samaritan shot to death

Thumbs down Good Samaritan shot to death

I believe this happened in Marionville, Missouri.

Fatal shootings follow Marionville traffic crash | News-Leader.com | Springfield News-Leader

Marionville -- An intersection known for serious accidents gained far more notoriety Friday when a driver in a crash shot to death a man who had stopped to offer help, then wounded a local policeman before he was killed by the injured officer.

The shootings shook Erick and Doris Schaefer, who live a few houses from the intersection at Route ZZ and Western Street where the second shooting took place around 1 p.m.

Alerted by a police monitor in her home about a traffic crash on the two-lane highway, Doris Schaefer said she went outside and saw the fatal shooting of the driver of a small school bus that had been converted to a private vehicle.

The Missouri Highway Patrol said the man, Joseph M. Rich, 55, of Aurora, had stopped to help after seeing the initial accident between a sport utility vehicle and a pickup.

The gunman, Jesse Miller, 30, of Marionville then walked along the road toward town -- shotgun in hand -- as Marionville police officer Andy Clark approached in his patrol car, the patrol said.

Clark commanded Miller to drop his weapon several times, but Miller fired a shot that struck Clark in the neck, the patrol said. Clark returned fire, killing Miller.

Patrol spokesman Sgt. Mike Watson said Clark, who had been with the department about a year, was conscious and talking to emergency personnel after the shooting.

He suffered moderate injuries and was taken to a Springfield hospital for treatment, the patrol said.

During the first shooting, "There was no talking, there was nothing," Doris Schaefer said.

"He shot. There was gunfire and smoke. I was shaking so bad, it was horrible. I could not believe what I was seeing."

The Schaefers were among a crowd of people who stood near the shooting scene marked with rings of yellow tape that crossed through the neat yards of homes.

Erick Schaefer said he and his wife are nurses and routinely help motorists injured in crashes at the intersection.

Other Marionville residents who declined to give their names also were shaken by the scene that included Rich's body covered by a sheet near his vehicle and Miller's body covered with a green sheet, the shotgun nearby.

Heading a department that has to deal with an officer's shooting wasn't what he expected on his second day of the job, Marionville Police Chief Larry Jones said after Watson briefed reporters on the shootings.

On Thursday, he'd gone out to introduce himself around town, Jones said.

"One of the businessmen told me, 'Well, you're going to be bored; Marionville is a quiet town,'" the chief said.

The shootings brought a dozen patrol troopers, a half-dozen crime scene and traffic crash investigators, Lawrence County sheriff's deputies and police officers from Aurora to the Lawrence County town, Watson said.

Initial reports that the incident involved a school bus prompted a lockdown at nearby Marionville schools until it was determined the bus was not carrying school children and was a private vehicle, Watson said.

At a press briefing Friday afternoon, Watson said he couldn't give further details about the incident until the investigation progressed.

"I think as they come up with more information, more will come out as to why this happened," he said.

Sounds like he was caught by surprise.
    During the first shooting, "There was no talking, there was nothing," Doris Schaefer said.

2. Remove Ads

"Clark commanded Miller to drop his weapon several times, but Miller fired a shot that struck Clark in the neck"

I really think police should have shot the guy dead to begin with...

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    Wow. What kind of sociopath would kill someone that was trying to help him?

Quote Originally Posted by morintp View Post
    Wow. What kind of sociopath would kill someone that was trying to help him?
    Mmmmm...just your regular, average, everyday sociopath, I would suspect...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Why didn't the officer tell him to drop it using the PA from his cruiser? Then if he didn't comply just run over him. Well at least he's dead now...lucky officer...unlucky good samaritan. What a sad story.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

What a story i wonder if it started with road rage?
    Kimber Ultra Carry 2
    Kimber Eclipse Target 2
    Kahr PM9 (wife's edc)
    Kahr PM45, Glock 19 (3rd Gen) & DiamondBack DB9
    NRA Life Member

I think cops give a suspect too many chances,order him to drop the weapon once maybe twice then turn his insides into his outsides.besides this guy just committed a homicide you can see
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by M&P_erfection View Post
    What a story i wonder if it started with road rage?
    Well, it certainly ended with it.

Pull a gun on someone without provocation or justification, and you are the BG. In such a case, you deserve to be stopped ... as quickly as possible, even if it kills you.

Hm. Driver of the other vehicle ignored, but a good sam shot dead as he stopped to help. Responding officer shot. BG taken down. The BG could easily have vented his rage on passing motorists, or even people in the neighborhood who had peeked out to watch a murder in progress. Glad nobody else was injured.

Kudos to the police, for his cool handling of a very bad situation.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

what happened to the one that the gunman had the wreck with to begin with?why would he shoot someone trying to help but not the one he had a wreck with? did he think they were trying to surround him? i think he must have been insane or on the run from the law..
    ..not sure
    the whole thing is really tragic.the man that was shot, his friends and family will now be told he was killed by trying to help someone;sad
    im glad the officer will be alright.please keep us posted about this if you find out any more Grady
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.
    ― Thomas Paine

Links