Is it my imagination, or are home invasions happening more often?

This is a discussion on Is it my imagination, or are home invasions happening more often? within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This one was not far from my home: Daily Freeman - Police arrest three men for Dutchess home invasion 04/02/2008 Police arrest three men for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it my imagination, or are home invasions happening more often?

Is it my imagination, or are home invasions happening more often?

This one was not far from my home:

Daily Freeman - Police arrest three men for Dutchess home invasion

04/02/2008
    Police arrest three men for Dutchess home invasion

POUGHKEEPSIE - Three Poughkeepsie men have been arrested in connection with a March home invasion robbery in the area of Kelsey Road in the town of Poughkeepsie, according to town police.

Justin Cardascia, 19, of 1 Reno Road, was arrested Monday night. Kevin Patrick Hogan, 17, of 4 Cochran Hill Road, was arrested the night of the robbery, and Kenneth C. Morris, 20, of 298 Spackenkill Road was arrested March 7. All were charged with felony robbery.

At 11 p.m. March 4, police responded to a Dutchess County 911 call reporting a home robbery involving a weapon. Police said the robbers fled on foot from the rear of the residence. Poughkeepsie city police and the Dutchess County Sheriff's Office assisted with the initial search after the incident.

Two knives were displayed during the robbery, as well as what appeared to be a gun wrapped in the cloth of a shirt, police said.

The investigation is ongoing, and robbery charges are pending against an additional adult male and a juvenile male, police said. Items stolen from the home, which was known to some of the defendants, included cash. No injuries were reported during the robbery, police said.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

2. Remove Ads

I am sure they are happening more often. With the cost of everything getting so high, I only see it getting much worse. All the more reason to be armed and prepared.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    Frequency of making headlines in unrelated to statistics of occurrence. Fashion changes over time. A given crime may receive prominent news positioning at one time and not another. A little research of the FBI crime statistics may answer your question.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

I bet the thing wrapped in the shirt wasn't a gun.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Yup they are crooks are looking for cask and narcotics.

VIP Member
    Yes also another one in New Britan CT the other day. Two Ladys dead I'm sure, by some guy who just got out of jail. Not good.

I've seen at least one source indicating that they ARE more common. That they are seen as an alternative to the Convenience store robbery, since convenience stores have taken pretty good measures to reduce robberies.

When you think about it... the return is probably better in a home invasion, and the risks are probably close to identical. A homeowner is more likely to be armed, but Convenience stores have public moving in and out of them all the time.

In a home invasion, once you get in the door of a home without arms, you're pretty safe from getting caught in the act.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Administrator
    Yes, they are increasing.

BGs know that it hides the crime behind walls and closed doors. Except (of course) for the door that sometimes gets smashed in.

It gives them time (in private) to threaten, rape, ransack, steal, - torture to get bank PIN numbers, hidden cash, and car keys...all out of the public eye.

It's a horrible type of crime and the more Home Invaders that get plugged...the better off we'll all be for the "body bagging" of them.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Administrator
    It is happening more and more often, and as they get more coverage they will continue to increase.
    Its been my experiance that 99% of these types of crimes are drug related and that part does not make it into the paper for obvious reasons.
    "Just blame Sixto"

There are MORE of them in Florida, although many are known to be drug dealer related.
    It's why I ALWAYS have a gun just a grasp away...anywhere in the house...usually on my person.
    I never go to the door without one, and I don't open the door until I am sure of who is there.

Let's start an organization called, "Body Bags for Home Invaders"...

Stay armed...buy your bags...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Where do I order the BBHI bumper sticker?

We recently had 3 home invasions in about 6 weeks in the small city I live in. I don't recall seeing reports of any in the last ten years. These clearly were alternatives to convenience store robberies. In each case, the victims, all Asians, owned either a convenience store or a laundry and kept their till at home at night rather than in a bank. In each case the robbery took place at night when only women were home. The robbers went for the till everytime. Similar robberies have occurred another 6-9 times in the surrounding cities. Now suddenly they seem to have stopped although the police haven't announced any arrests.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Let's start an organization called, "Body Bags for Home Invaders"...
    How do I join the BBHI international

Most of the cases, Iíve seen are drug related. However, I should state that Iím only guessing that because of the neighborhood itís happening in.

But with the economy on a down swing, and bunch of construction and other blue color workers out of work, we are seeing an epidemic, of nighttime car break-ins.

I read about one almost every day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links