FATAL SHOOTING: Suspect says he was drunk

This is a discussion on FATAL SHOOTING: Suspect says he was drunk within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ReviewJournal.com - News - FATAL SHOOTING: Suspect says he was drunk FATAL SHOOTING: Suspect says he was drunk Police say 21-year-old admitted firing gun, killing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FATAL SHOOTING: Suspect says he was drunk

ReviewJournal.com - News - FATAL SHOOTING: Suspect says he was drunk

Police say 21-year-old admitted firing gun, killing mother of two

By SCOTT SPJUT
    REVIEW-JOURNAL
    Cristian Basurto, 15, speaks Tuesday outside Las Vegas City Hall about the death of his mother, Blanca Gonzalez, who was shot Friday while stopped at a red light. Cristian and his sister, Jasmin, were in the car at the time of the shooting at the intersection of Nellis and Charleston boulevards. Police arrested a suspect in the shooting on Monday.

Calvin Lee Kirklin, 21, was arrested Monday morning

A man arrested Monday morning told police he was drunk when the gun he was handling accidentally discharged, killing a mother of two stopped at a red light.

Calvin Lee Kirklin, 21, was driving Friday evening with three adult passengers and his infant son when he fired through the front passenger window, striking in the head 39-year-old Blanca Gonzalez, whose own two children were in the car with her.

Jabriel Fernandez, who was in the car with Kirklin, told police that "Kirklin held the gun in his right hand, fully extending his arm, as if aiming the pistol at Gonzalez's vehicle," according to an arrest report by Las Vegas police.

Cristian Basurto, Gonzalez's 15-year-old son, called 911 after his mother fell into his arms, unconscious and bleeding. Gonzalez's car moved into the intersection and hit a pickup making a turn onto eastbound Charleston.

Gonzalez was taken to University Medical Center, where she died at 6:03 p.m. Sunday

"It's been really hard for us," Cristian said, with his mother's brother, Juan Lopez, at his side. "One day she's right there, smiling with you. And the next day she's in a bag."

Cristian spoke briefly after a news conference Tuesday morning, trying his best to stay composed. "I don't want her to look down on me and look at me suffer. I have to be strong and work hard for my family. I need to work to make my mom proud."

Cristian hopes to become a professional soccer player. The family was planning on moving to Mexico within the next year to pursue that goal.

"My mom's dream was to make my dream possible. All she wanted was to fight for me and my little sister."

He said his father was crushed, and has been leaving the house in the middle of the night to go for walks. He also said his sister, 11-year-old Jazmin Basurto who was also in the car, wasn't fully aware of what was going on.

Cristian did not have much to say about Kirklin's arrest. "Anything they do or say isn't going to bring back my mom."

Las Vegas police Capt. Randy Montandon said police do not know the suspect's motive and described the events as a "senseless crime of violence."

Montandon said Kirklin is not in a gang and police were "very confident he did not know the victim."

According to police, Gonzalez was waiting about 8:20 p.m. Friday to make a left turn onto Charleston Boulevard from Nellis Boulevard when Kirklin pulled up in a gold Buick Regal on the left side of her white Suzuki Grand Vitara, a small SUV.

After the single shot was fired, Cristian heard a woman's voice from the Buick say, "You shot her! Run! Go! Go!"

The Buick made a U-turn and drove away, southbound on Nellis Boulevard.

On Monday morning, Kirklin was found after someone phoned police after recognizing the vehicle description from media reports. Police pulled the vehicle over on Pecos Road, south of Tropicana Avenue.

In the car was Kirklin, Kirklin's baby, Kirklin's toddler brother and Brittni Clipper, the mother of Kirklin's son and registered owner of the vehicle.

Kirklin initially said his car was the one that was shot at, which was the reason the front passenger window of the vehicle was damaged, but he later admitted firing the gun, citing his intoxication.

Police said Kirklin might not have known he killed someone but must have known that he had shot at someone.

"He wasn't surprised when he was pulled over; I can tell you that," Montandon said.

A search warrant was obtained for Kirklin's residence, near Tropicana Avenue and Sandhill Road. After searching the home, Kirklin ultimately told police he had hidden the weapon -- a .380 caliber semi-automatic -- behind a shed in the rear of the yard.

Police interviewed Clipper, as well as Fernandez and Rafael Creamer, who were in the car when the shooting happened. Clipper, Fernandez and Creamer all said Kirklin fired the weapon.

None of them has been charged with any crimes. Police say there has been nothing to prove their involvement or that they knew what was going on.

Kirklin is scheduled to appear in court this morning. It won't be the first time. In 2005, Kirklin pleaded guilty to charges of conspiracy to commit a crime and altering a serial number of a firearm.

According to the Clark County School District, Kirklin was enrolled in the ninth grade at Valley High School for the 2003-2004 academic year. It has no record of enrollment after that.

A woman at the house where Kirklin was living said Tuesday she and the other occupants had no comment.

Contact reporter Scott Spjut at sspjut@reviewjournal.com or (702) 383-0279.
    The perp:

Another dirt bag.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I saw this on the news the other night, they had a description of the car. So sad.

I wish I knew the words to argue the pro-gun angle here. This is another example of criminals with guns.
    Is Nevada the state with the tent city as a jail? That is where he needs to be, and I hope he goes there on his stop over on the way to hell.
    The 15 y/o seems to have his crap together. His mom sounded like a really good person. This perp should have to watch their home movies everyday for the rest of his life.

I bet this thug thought he was a tough guy...a few beers and a gun...we'll see how tough he is when he starts 'dating' while in prison.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

IMHO the driver of the vehicle and any other persons that were in the car with him at the time of fleeing _and_ who did not come forward in assisting to close this case should themselves be charged and tried for at a minimum being an accessory to murder.
    The driver in specific should also be charged with murder same as when a crew takes down a store and the shooter inside kills a person while the wheel man outside drives everyone away. Now days in many states when caught they all go down for murder and not just the trigger man even in cases where premeditation on the part of either the shooter or the wheelman is not established.
    The only excuse on the part of the driver and any passengers would be coercion on the part of the gun man which here in MA gains one an extra charge of witness intimidation. That charge in itself is a felony.

Antis will argue this is yet another case showing how guns have noplace in our society.
    This is though more so an opportunity to make a clear statement that you act a fool and do a gun crime then you will do time. And if you are there and don't drop a dime then you will do similar if not same time.
    Enforce the laws that currently are on the books and prosecute to the fullest.

Very sad for this woman and her family.
    They all are ruined because of an idiot, with a gun.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Moron or psychopath: you pick one.

VIP Member
    Now, should we argue if this was negligence or not? Did he just have a "whoops" moment? Is it, as some are fond of saying, not if you will have an ND, but when? If that's the case, I hope you choose to have yours while NOT pointing your gun at my head.

This guy is an idiot, and his idiocy cost some children their mother. No matter how much we point and accuse at this guy, some 30% of this board has admitted to having an ND as well. Let's use this tragedy for some small good - we should all re-affirm ourselves to safe gun handling practices, as if starting from day one. Don't end up like this guy.

Condolences to the family, though is looks like young Christian has a very good head on his shoulders and will help his sister through this tragedy). Lock this guy (and everyone else who was in the car, or who knew what had happened) away for a long, long, long time.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

I have no simpathy for this guy, he thought he was a thug with a gun and now a poor lady is dead and for what? I hope they throw the book at him.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Its a sad case indeed. No words from me to comfort the family. But the Bible say something in Isaiah 57:1.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    No matter how much we point and accuse at this guy, some 30% of this board has admitted to having an ND as well.
    ND?

...No matter how much we point and accuse at this guy, some 30% of this board has admitted to having an ND as well...
    Of that 30% though zero percent did so whilst drunk, seated in a moving vehicle on the street amongst traffic flow, with said firearm in hand and as per police statements pointed/aimed at the driver of a secondary vehicle resulting in death of that person.

NDs do happen but this is a bit more on multiple levels than a case of momentary mind slip.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Senior Moderator
    Condolences to the family, though is looks like young Christian has a very good head on his shoulders and will help his sister through this tragedy). Lock this guy (and everyone else who was in the car, or who knew what had happened) away for a long, long, long time.
    I'd like to offer an amendment here.

Strike "long, long, long time" and substitute "for the rest of their lives without the possibility of parole".

His pathetic "excuse" that he was drunk should not even be given one millisecond's consideration IMHO.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I bet this thug thought he was a tough guy...a few beers and a gun...we'll see how tough he is when he starts 'dating' while in prison.
    Exactly...this is what acting like a stupid gangsta will get you. And Janq is right...every one in that car...the one that told the driver to go, the driver and all of them need to go up for accessory. That familys lives were severly altered for the worse because of a 2pac wannabe. I wish him and his new husband in then Nevada state penitentiary a happy honeymoon.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Justice better be swift and harsh for this dirtbag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links