Shoot-Out At The Winn-Dixie

This is a discussion on Shoot-Out At The Winn-Dixie within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; One dead in shootout at North Dade shopping plaza - 03/31/2008 - MiamiHerald.com A shooting outside a North Miami-Dade shopping plaza Sunday morning left a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoot-Out At The Winn-Dixie

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

One dead in shootout at North Dade shopping plaza - 03/31/2008 - MiamiHerald.com

A shooting outside a North Miami-Dade shopping plaza Sunday morning left a security guard wounded, a man dead and another on the run, Miami-Dade police said.

The wild scene played out at around 9 a.m. as early-morning shoppers began arriving at the center anchored by a Winn-Dixie supermarket at Northwest Seventh Avenue and 111th Street.

It's unclear yet what sparked the incident, but it may have been a confrontation between two young men and the guard, and not an attempted robbery.

''There are a lot of customers who did see what happened and we are interviewing them as well,'' said Robert Williams, a spokesman for the Miami-Dade Police Department.

An aunt of the dead man said the victim was 19 years old, according to Miami Herald news partner CBS4. She said she did not believe her nephew was involved in a crime.

''I don't know what happened in the parking lot, what went on,'' said Antoinette Cobb, who told the station she was the dead man's aunt. ``I want to know what happened. . . . The police are not giving me any information.''

Witnesses said the security guard appeared to be making his rounds at the center in a golf cart when he was approached by the men.

There was a confrontation that escalated. Investigators said one of the men pulled a gun and shot the guard in the upper chest. The guard returned fire, hitting one of the men, who fell in the parking lot.

The second man took off into a neighborhood just northeast of the shopping center.

The security guard along with the other man were taken to Jackson Memorial Hospital's Ryder Trauma Hospital, Williams said. The wounded man was declared dead at the hospital. His name has not been released.

SHOT IN TORSO

The security guard, who was shot in the upper torso, was undergoing surgery. He also had not been identified Sunday night.

''Right now we do not have a motive,'' Williams said, adding that homicide investigators are still conducting interviews.

Detectives need to talk to the hospitalized security guard for a clear picture of what sparked the violence.

''We do not know yet if robbery was the motive. We want to make absolutely sure that that was the motive for this so we need to talk to that security guard to get a statement from him,'' Williams said.

The incident marked the second time in as many days a security guard opened fire in South Florida.

In Miramar on Saturday, a man who tried to rob a Foot Locker was shot four times by a security guard.

Police said Dontrell A. Daniels, 19, of Miami Gardens entered the store at 3194 S. University Dr. just after noon. The guard shot him four times. He remains hospitalized.

In Sunday's incident, police searching for the second man involved in the argument were interviewing people in a house near Northwest Fifth Avenue and 115th Street Sunday afternoon -- not far from the shopping center.

POLICE MUM

Police would not say if any of the individuals in the house had been identified as the man who escaped. ''Those individuals are being interviewed,'' he said.

Five marked police cars were lined up outside the house, which is not far from Barry University. Access to the house was cut off by yellow police tape.

''Right now, we are unsure if that is the subject or not,'' Williams said.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

He Was a Good Boy...

An aunt of the dead man said the victim was 19 years old, according to Miami Herald news partner CBS4. She said she did not believe her nephew was involved in a crime.

''I don't know what happened in the parking lot, what went on,'' said Antoinette Cobb, who told the station she was the dead man's aunt. ``I want to know what happened. . . . The police are not giving me any information.''

She knows he wasn't involved in a crime...
    A 19 year old pulls a gun and shoots a security guard, is that a crime?
    What's a kid supposed to do these days, come on, give him a break...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great job by the security officer. To return fire after being shot in the chest, and still hit his target. BRAVO.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I hope the Security Officer pulls throught OK

Good job on the security guard.

Another example of how even when behind the curve, odds against (2 on 1), and if even handicapped (seated in a golf cart which affects draw time but _not_ capability)...one can still survive if not even win!
    This dude took a round to the chest at point blank range and still he stayed in the fight and fought to stop and indeed did stop one of his two attackers.
    Excellent work and mentality. Stay in the fight and keep fighting...until the fight or you are done.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Sort of reminds me of limatunes signature.

Even death is a poor excuse for not fighting back.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

I pray the security guard makes it. He sounds like a fighter. We need more like him.

"She said she did not believe her nephew was involved in a crime."

Sure. Not your little sweet nephew. It must have been (insert lame excuse here) that made him shoot that security guard.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

excellent job on guards part, prayers in for his recovery!

Yeah...it really makes you wonder why any of us feel the need to protect ourselves. After all, every one of these poor misunderstood kids are "great", never a problem, blah, blah, blah. We just need to give them a little understanding.

Let's hope and pray the security guard pulls through.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

She knows he wasn't involved in a crime...
    A 19 year old pulls a gun and shoots a security guard, is that a crime?
    What's a kid supposed to do these days, come on, give him a break...
    I'm amazed every time I hear something like this. These are also the most anti-gun people on earth. They swear that it wasn't their child / family member or that their child / family member would have NEVER done such a thing. Then you show them the CCD tapes of the person commiting the crime and they say that it was planted or doctored. Total BS. Like a store owner or security guard just opens fire on some kid for no reason. I would believe the kid was robbing the place before I believe the security guard didn't have a legal reason to open fire. Not that they are angels, I just trust one of them over a 19 y/o waving a gun around any day of the week, especially in Miami.

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    If it had gone the other way the story would have been buried on page (last) with a small. "security guard shot and killed, investigation underway."
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Just goes to show you that even in a grocery store or a church or any other normal routine place that violence can and will happen. Godspeed to the brave security guard and go armed always.

Tough week for security guards and pizza delivery men.

Yes, good job by the security guard, wish him a speedy recovery and clear sailing legally on the shooting. 2 punks in Miami pulled a gun, but they were such nice boys, yeah sure they were. Why did they have a handgun ? Illegal for a 19 yr old to possess one, there's a a crime right there aunty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links