UGLY: Man Fatally Stabbed In AZ Mall Gun Free Zone

This is a discussion on UGLY: Man Fatally Stabbed In AZ Mall Gun Free Zone within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man Fatally Stabbed in Arizona Mall: Top News Stories at Officer.com Something seemed wrong with Bernard Allen as he went to the register and asked ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UGLY: Man Fatally Stabbed In AZ Mall Gun Free Zone

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Man Fatally Stabbed in Arizona Mall: Top News Stories at Officer.com

Something seemed wrong with Bernard Allen as he went to the register and asked for a butcher's knife. Employees at the store noted Allen was acting strangely, though nobody stopped him as he walked out and into the adjoining shopping mall with a new eight-inch blade in hand.

Minutes later, a man was dead. Issaruh Jackson, 31, of Tempe, had the misfortune of bumping into Allen in the Fiesta Mall food court restroom on Monday. When he turned around, police said, Allen took out the butcher knife and thrust it into his back.

Police said Tuesday that Allen, 25, admitted to the fatal stabbing and told authorities he suffers from Schizophrenia. Police said Allen also admitted to attacking another man, Lathaniel Clinton Brown, 22, with a pocket knife on Sunday at a Macy's store in the same mall.

Mesa Police Chief George Gascon said the attacks appear to be random. In both cases, Allen told authorities he simply didn't like the way the other men treated him.

"You ... disrespected me," he said while attacking Brown, according to court records.

Allen was booked into jail on a first-degree murder charge and a charge of aggravated assault. He made an initial appearance Tuesday and was ordered held in lieu of $500,000 bond. The public defender's office was appointed to represent him, but no lawyer has yet been assigned.

Brown is recovering from wounds to his neck and back and identified Allen from a photo lineup, court documents said.

Allen is a convicted felon with a history of mental illness who spent six years in prison and was released about two years ago, Gascon said.

According to the documents released Tuesday, Brown was in the store Sunday when Allen walked past him and they made eye contact. After he passed, Allen turned around, grabbed Brown by the neck, and stabbed him in the throat with a small pocket knife, authorities said.

The court documents said that Allen visited his doctor morning Monday before going to the mall again. He paid $41.60 for an 8-inch butcher knife at a mall store, took it out of its packaging, and walked into the mall bathroom. As Jackson stood at a urinal, Allen walked up behind him and stabbed him once in the back.

He was spotted by several witnesses walking through the mall with the bloody knife in his hand, and police received several 911 calls, the documents show. He was apprehended minutes after the calls, outside the mall.

Jackson was found on the restroom floor and died before medical aid could arrive.

According to the Mall's Guest Services department (480-610-0842) guns are not allowed inside the mall.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

We simply must do a better job of keeping cooking utensils out of the hands of criminals.

Well, at least it was a gun free zone. Someone could have been killed otherwise......

........oh wait........sorry...........never mind.

The court documents said that Allen visited his doctor morning Monday before going to the mall again. He paid $41.60 for an 8-inch butcher knife at a mall store, took it out of its packaging, and walked into the mall bathroom. As Jackson stood at a urinal, Allen walked up behind him and stabbed him once in the back.
    That's why you use a stall. Harder to have someone sneak up on you.

Situational awareness. Even if you watch movies you should be able to figure this one out.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I hate to be pedantic... (well...actually, I don't)... But I have to wonder if journalists go out of their way to make stories sound more sensational than they are. The mistake in this one is minor, very common, but still interesting.

This is a butchers knife:

I doubt he stabbed someone with it.

THIS is an 8-inch chefs knife.

I reckon "chefs knife" just doesn't have the same nasty ring to it. It may not be intentional on the part of the journalist, but they do it all the time with guns -- using minor misnomers to make it seem more sinister.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

blackPR....butcher knives are BAD! They HURT people! Sheesh, chef's knives are only for food..duh...

It was the first thing I noticed as well :)

According to the Mall's Guest Services department (480-610-0842) guns are not allowed inside the mall.
    Interesting. This is cited as part of the original article, but it isn't. The comment looked out of place as Officer.com doesn't regularly end articles in this manner.

It isn't as if a gun would have mattered. If you aren't situationally aware and somebody can just walk up and stab you, a gun isn't going to help.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

I thought that first pic was a beaver cleaver,I don't know about you guys but a guy buys a knife just before he stabs someone to death i don't call that schizophrenia that's pemeditated ,and he admitted to it .take him out back and just shoot him in the head that's what ya call due process
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

In the Arizona Republic story, they stated that his prior prison term was for another murder.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    In the Arizona Republic story, they stated that his prior prison term was for another murder.
    Get out! Your making that up. Right?
    I think I remember a case where the guy was schitzo, (sorry if that's offensive), but on his meds and then was not allowed to plead insanity, but sanely commited murder.

Either way, this guy has proven that he doesn't deserve a roll in society.

Also, we should pass new mall legislation. If you look disturbed when buying a kitchen utinsel the store must refuse to sell the item.

7 day waiting period to purchase any kitchen utencils. We have to do this for the children.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye72 View Post
    7 day waiting period to purchase any kitchen utencils. We have to do this for the children.
    pots and pans must be made out of less dense material - so husbands won't be hurt when the wife smacks them.

Rolling pins should be on the banned list.

I think we might be about to get in trouble for getting off topic

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    That's why you use a stall. Harder to have someone sneak up on you.

Situational awareness. Even if you watch movies you should be able to figure this one out.
    "Bans", "gun-free". Irrelevant. The above is what needs to be learned. No guns doesn't mean you can't carry a small fixed blade, a waved Spyderco or wear steel toed work boots. An 8 inch butcher knife isn't exactly something you pull unobtrusively.

"As Jackson stood at a urinal, Allen walked up behind him and stabbed him once in the back."

Terrible.

Too bad he didn't have Arnold's sweet glasses from True Lies.

I'm surprised to hear that AZ has such stupid laws, can't carry in a mall WTH
    Last edited by JD; May 2nd, 2008 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Corrected language workaround.

Private property. Everywhere is different.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links