GOOD: Female Homeowner Stops 3 Home Invaders

This is a discussion on GOOD: Female Homeowner Stops 3 Home Invaders within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Niles Michigan - The Niles Star NILES - Three suspects received an April Fool's Day surprise as they attempted to break into a home on ...

Thread: GOOD: Female Homeowner Stops 3 Home Invaders

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

GOOD: Female Homeowner Stops 3 Home Invaders

Niles Michigan - The Niles Star

NILES - Three suspects received an April Fool's Day surprise as they attempted to break into a home on Range Line Road.

At approximately 1:20 p.m. on Tuesday, April 1, a home owner called 911, saying the back door of her residence was kicked in, according to the Michigan State Police Niles Post.

Apparently a female suspect had knocked on the door and when no one answered, two male suspects allegedly attempted a home invasion.

Three suspects from Indiana were arrested and are suspected in several other home invasions in Southeast Berrien County.

The 36-year-old female homeowner had armed herself with a shotgun for protection, when she heard the suspects prepare to enter her residence.

"The tables were turned on these thieves when they were surprised by the armed homeowner," said Tpr. Mike McCarthy of the Niles Post.

The north Berrien County 911 center broadcast the call and description of the suspects' vehicle, which was intercepted on Old 31 by deputies and troopers.

Stolen property was found in the vehicle which was linked to previous home invasions.

Arrested for felony home invasion were Daniel L. Sizemore, 28; Phillip J. Chappell, 29 and Andrea L. Bachleda, 27, all of South Bend, Ind.

They were lodged at the Niles City Jail and arraigned in the 5th District Court and their bond was set at $50,000.

The Berrien County Sheriff's Department assisted with the investigation. Other area home invasions are expected to be cleared with the arrests of these suspects.
    Good for her.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Bravo Zulu!
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Great job. Looks like their career took a turn for the worse.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Moderator
    Good for her, I guess the Home invaders found out the a 12ga bore looks like a train tunnel when it is pointed at you.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Excellent work.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

This is a good example of when and why a shot gun can be better for HD than a pistol.
    The opportunity and _chances_ to stop and even hold multiples at once is greater. Also most people know what and how a shotgun works with it's spread and knockout power under CQB conditions. The psychological effect alone can be a man stopper...as opposed to lady standing there with a revolver/pistol aimed at one person as opposed to many/them all.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Outstanding! It would be awesome if they do end up closing a few other investigations after catching this crew.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

I don't think anyone wants to get shot, but just the same if I had a .12 gauge pointed at my chest you better believe I'd be compliant.

Sort of along the same line, I heard that in Iraq the locals are not really afraid of the ever present black rifles, and tend to stay and fight when confronted by them. However they are not real fond of shotguns and tend to beat feet when they encounter one. Not sure if it's true, but it kinda gives you a warm fuzzy if it is.

Tom
    Last edited by Tscott; April 4th, 2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: I spell like a hyperactive 3rd grader

Niles is not too far from me, there is a bad side of town so this doesn't surprise me. Good for the lady in defending herself though.

South Bend? lol

Let's go Irish!

Good for her. Yes a shotgun has that affect on BGs. We used them when we boarded junks in Vietnam. Charlie know about their effect and respected them. But there was always that one that needed to be showing
    John Steinbeck: Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

This just in...

Home Owner 3

Out of State Dirtbags 0

Final Score...

Special Note: Gotta' love a lady with a shottie...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Did you also notice that the news (at least in this article) did NOT, for once, include the specific address of the home or the name of the homeowner? Hm. A news organization with common sense and a conscience. That's refreshing.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Tscott View Post
    Sort of along the same line, I heard that in Iraq the locals are not really afraid of the ever present black rifles, and tend to stay and fight when confronted by them. However they are not real fond of shotguns and tend to beat feet when they encounter one. Not sure if it's true, but it kinda gives you a warm fuzzy if it is.

Tom
    Not really true since most engagements we run into are usually long range rifle fire. They are afraid. Not to many people want to get into a fight with US troops at close range. We usually have a couple aces in our hand Remember the are a bunch of idiots using full auto and have no idea how to properly zero a weapon. Their fire is almost never accurate.
    3/320th Field Artillery
    3rd brigade RAKKASANS
    101st AIRBORNE

Links