But...California Has Gunlaws!

This is a discussion on But...California Has Gunlaws! within the In the News: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Drivers Anxious After Freeway Shootings Freeway.Shootings Motorist Jeffrey Mines comments on the recent freeway shootings at a gas sta... By THOMAS WATKINS, AP 4 hours ...

Thread: But...California Has Gunlaws!

Drivers Anxious After Freeway Shootings
    Freeway.Shootings

Motorist Jeffrey Mines comments on the recent freeway shootings at a gas sta...
    By THOMAS WATKINS, AP
    4 hours ago

LOS ANGELES — Until a few weeks ago, Jeffrey Mines thought the freeway was the best way to cover the 20 miles from Compton to his sick uncle's house in Hollywood.

Not any more. A recent bout of unrelated freeway shootings, one of the worst ever to hit Southern California, unnerved Mines so much that he found another route.

"The freeways are just not safe," said Mines, 45, who now stays on city streets. "I am trying to save my life."

At least seven shootings in the past six weeks along major roadways have resulted in five deaths and several injuries. Many drivers have been left with the jitters, and jammed commuter corridors have been brought to a halt while authorities searched for clues.

Officials said the shootings were unconnected.

"There is no trend," said CHP Officer Tony Garrett, a spokesman for the agency. "The public tends to think this is an increase; it's just random incidents."

Since Feb. 27, a 54-year-old chiropractor died after she was shot in the head while driving on the 10 Freeway in eastern Los Angeles County; a 26-year-old man died after a shooting on the 101 Freeway following an argument on Hollywood Boulevard; and two teenage boys died after they were shot on a state highway in San Diego County.

Another death was being investigated as a possible suicide.

Authorities also were investigating an apparent BB gun attack that shattered rear windows of six vehicles on the 10 Freeway in eastern Los Angeles County.

With witnesses hard to find, no arrests have been made in any of the cases. Some experts believe such high-profile incidents can spawn copycat attacks.

"When you see an event like this happen, it does create a suggestion in the minds of others to do the same thing," said Lawrence Palinkas, an anthropologist at the University of Southern California who researches the psychological effects of shootings and other traumas.

Mines said his nephew had his tires shot out as he drove on a freeway in South Los Angeles in February. He is convinced that drivers are getting more stressed out as they grapple with rising gas prices and the other demands of getting by in Los Angeles.

Police can struggle when investigating the attacks. Officer Jackie Bezart, a spokeswoman for the Long Beach Police Department, said potential witnesses often speed by shooting scenes, unaware that an attack occurred.

Some drivers said they were more worried by reckless drivers than freeway shooters.

"I am more afraid of the guy on the cell phone than I am the sniper," said Don Feeney, 40, who refuels vehicles for a movie production company.

"For the millions of miles that are traveled on California freeways, the number of shootings is few and far between," said Garrett, the CHP spokesman.

Freeway shootings gained widespread notoriety in 1987, when a string of about 50 unrelated shootings in Southern California left at least five people dead and more than a dozen injured. The attacks were blamed in part on increased anger and frustration over rising traffic volume and roadway construction.

In 1998, three attacks on women drivers and several other shootings left at least three dead.

In the summer of 2005, four people were killed in freeway shootings in the Los Angeles area. Police arrested two men in connection with one of the slayings but later dropped charges after they were unable to find a key witness.

The killings prompted the CHP to form a special task force to investigate such crimes. Garrett said the task force had not been reactivated so far in this year's shootings.

Ray Russell, 65, a superintendent for a construction company, said he worries about highway shooters as he makes his rounds across Los Angeles in his pickup truck.

"It's something I consider as being a very good possibility," Russell said as he pumped diesel fuel at a service station in Echo Park near downtown. "We have become almost animals with no sense of values, no sense of life. It bothers me."

Senior Moderator
    "We have become almost animals with no sense of values, no sense of life. It bothers me."
    That's why I carry
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    This is why I always strive to improve my situational awareness. And stay on top of local crime trends.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

If you want safety, maybe Compton isn't the best place to live

Let's see...

7 shootings, 5 deaths...

Officials said the shootings were unconnected.

"There is no trend," said CHP Officer Tony Garrett, a spokesman for the agency. "The public tends to think this is an increase; it's just random incidents."

Oh yeah, I believe those officials...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm sure many in that state are thinking " we just need stricter gun laws!"

There is no trend," said CHP Officer Tony Garrett, a spokesman for the agency. "The public tends to think this is an increase; it's just random incidents."
    ...now, is there an increase? or is there an increase in reporting by the press? Afterall, they don't have an agenda do they?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    I am sure Kalifornia just needs NO GUNS signs on the freeway
    That would fix the problem

Smile

It is so obvious. Pass a law prohibiting shooting on the freeways. Problem solved

When is that place going to slide into the Pacific?
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Quote Originally Posted by mr.stuart View Post
    I am sure Kalifornia just needs NO GUNS signs on the freeway
    That would fix the problem
    Just make sure they have it subtitled in spanish also...or could we make it one of those "press 1 for english"....or how about "If you can't read english, find someone to read this for you."

I'm with Mr. Stuart!

Make the freeways in NO-GUNS zones and put up a half-a-million 'NO GUNS' signs around southern California...That'll solve the problem!

Last edited by OM44; April 5th, 2008 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Spelling

The Second Amendment is NOT about hunting!

Links